Sign in to follow this  
Farkes The Herald Angels

It's All Gone Wrong

You have probably hit the nail on the head in the last couple of sentences.

We were famous for our positive passing football. In a way we were the Swansea of the Eighties and early-Nineties.

Fans from the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd used to really respect us.

Even as late as 2007, Warnock claims that he didn''t get the Norwich job because somebody on the board (probably MWJ) asked "will Norwich fans enjoy your style of football". The appointment which followed was a disaster, but goes to show that even then the board had an understanding of what Norwich fans want to see.

I think they forgot to ask Hughton that question.

snake-eyes, I don''t think sycophantic is a fair description at all:

sycophantic [ˌsɪkəˈfæntɪk]

adj

using flattery to win favour from individuals wielding influence; toadyish; obsequious

sycophantically adv

Adj. 1. sycophantic - attempting to win favor from influential people by flattery

bootlicking, fawning, obsequious, toadyish

insincere - lacking sincerity; "a charming but thoroughly insincere woman"; "their praise was extravagant and insincere"

2. sycophantic - attempting to win favor by flattery

bootlicking, fawning, toadyish

servile - submissive or fawning in attitude or behavior; "spoke in a servile tone"; "the incurably servile housekeeper"; "servile tasks such as floor scrubbing and barn work"

I can''t see that Buhs attitude is described by any of those definitions. All I can see is someone who believes Hughton is doing a good job & gets fed up with the routine denigration of anyone of that opinion. That has nothing to do with being sycophantic.

From here it looks like another routine insulting lie to describe someone you disagree with.

It''s the same routine! We lose a game and talk about how good Mike Walker was and how much better everything was a million years ago it''s BORING! It''s exactly the same card Ipswich fans pull every time, bare that in mind next time you do it.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

It is a fact if the modern world that we can talk on a phone with pictures virtually anywhere in the world. We have more computing power in our pockets than was ever dreamed possible. Individuals can communicate directly to the world using blogs or twitter.

[/quote]

This cuts both ways. Cyberspace has made it possible for pretty much anyone with an opinion, no matter how idiotic, to air it.

But cyberspace has also made fans much better informed. In terms of access to expert and unbiased opinion. And in access to matches.

An example in the Hughton debate would be our performance in away matches. In the past a valid view would have been limited to the couple of thousand able to attend. Now anyone with a computer can have a sensible opinion.

Ron,

you obviously misread what I put.

I was not describing Buh as Sycophantic!  I was merely pointing out that he had mis-used the word and subsequently using a context/definition that would more accurately describe the word. I simply wanted to show that not everything old is useless and not everything modern is revolutionary and exciting.

Is this not a valid point?

Please do not tarnish me with the ''Disagree therefore insult'' brush!

What is your beef might I ask? Have I somehow insulted you in the past?[*-)]

Whoops. Apologies snake-eyes. Guilty as charged (reading only half the thread before jumping in).

In my defence I can only say that I still don''t agree with your definition (that''s why I looked it up). However that''s a bit irrelevant.

I can''t say I''d ever particularly noticed you as a serial insulter, but there''s so much muck flying about lately I tend to lose track of which direction it''s coming from.

Apologies once again. (No sycophancy intended!)