Sign in to follow this  
mersey bob

Just support the players tomorrow

After reading all the posts this week regarding Hughton and his 2 helpers - most of which I agree with, let''s just get behind the players. How so called City fans boo the guys who wear the shirt before they even run out on the pitch is a disgrace. We need maximum support to help get 3 points and climb the table. Leave the Board to sort out the bigger problem of the Manager,David McNally is no fool and will do what I required.OTBC.  

To be fair Mersey Bob, I''ve never heard boos before the game, only at half time if we''re losing, which some people would do if we were top of the league and Pep Guardiola was manager. Nothing to worry about, we''ll win tomorrow, climb a few places and all the moaners will have to whinge about something else until Tuesday night.

Its quite an odd situation really, I think most people fully support all the players 100% an cannot fault there endeavour.

Occasionally frustrated by poor choices by players but the general frustrations are reserved for the non managing manager who seems to regularly make bizarre decisions.

I would love someone to explain the logic of any 88/89th minute substitution in a game you are losing.

I dream of the day when Hughton makes a positive change during a game.

Your missing the point, everyone does support the players, its the managers tactics, subs etc that frustrates the fans. I think you will find people are booing the managers decisions not the players coming on to the field.

KG- The criticism of late substitutions is just yet another stick to beat the manager.

Another way of looking at it perhaps is that the manager considers his best team is already on the pitch maybe? And he wants to give them as much time as possible to effect the game perhaps?

Well I''m going to support everyone from Delia to the tea lady. Especially the bog cleaners who are never invited on the lap of honour at the end of the season.

If Hughton needs to go the board will take care of it. Wailing and aholloring about it will be as much use as spending all night barking at the moon. The sun will come out eventually and no quicker for those antics..

That 89th minute change against newcastle was frankly embarassing. Look at Villa losing and 3 subs coming on in the 60th minute. He doesnt know what hes doing. Constantly bringing the wrong players off at the wrong time. He doesnt know how to make changes to change a game.

So, let''s say Hughton brought on all 3 subs on 60 minutes. Then we get an injury and have to play out the last 25 minutes with 10 men and lose the game as a result. I assume there''d be no negativity towards Hughton and no comments along the lines of "Hughton really hasn''t got a clue, only an idiot would use all their subs so early and bring them all on at the same time"?

Hughton explained his subs, as I''ve posted before, but got ignored, presumably because people didn''t like his explanation.

He thought we could do it with the players on the pitch, & didn''t want to get overrun & concede goals near the end. You could say that, if it all went wrong, we might possibly concede 2 goals in the last 6 minutes. But, if it worked, 1 goal for us would have given us an invaluable point. And it very nearly did work.

The margins for error are incredibly tight; remember the Chelsea game, going for the win late in the game cost us in the end.

OK Morty if that''s the case why bother bringing them on at all ? you are wasting time when you are behind in a game and risking further injury to a player who will not have long enough on the pitch to get warmed up.

Not to mention the fact that I am not advocating substitutions when the formation is working just as normally when we have run out of ideas having launched the ball goalwards from somewhere near the halfway line.

70 minutes should be more than long enough for any team to create at least a few decent chances.

Yes Ron that''s right Hughton admitted to hanging on to a 2-1 defeat.

Your comment re the Chelsea game is rubbish, we were undone by two individual pieces of skill. Its one of the few games I was completely happy with.

The Hoolahan sub at Arsenal should have been accompanied by the Benny Hill music. Don''t think ive ever seen such a stupid move in 40 years.

norfolkbroadslim wrote the following post at 29/11/2013 10:40 PM:

So Hughton was saying he was trying to go for the draw rather than the win?

----------------------------------------------------------

At that stage, yes. We were 2-0 down until the 70th minute, so scoring 3 was going to be a tall order (for any team).

To be honest, if we''d got another quick goal I think he would have brought on more defensive players & tried to shut up shop. Personally I wouldn''t have blamed him - though I''m sure a lot of people would.

Yes Ron that''s right Hughton admitted to hanging on to a 2-1 defeat.

Your comment re the Chelsea game is rubbish, we were undone by two individual pieces of skill. Its one of the few games I was completely happy with.

The Hoolahan sub at Arsenal should have been accompanied by the Benny Hill music. Don''t think ive ever seen such a stupid move in 40 years.

------------------------------------------------

I don''t see where anyone said we were hanging on to a 2-1 defeat.

The point is a 2-1 defeat is psychologically better than a 3 or 4-1 defeat, & we managed to create a couple of chances in those last few minutes.

Well, I think your comment about the Chelsea game is rubbish. That''s exactly what Remy et al are capable of doing as well.

Don''t know what the Hoolahan comment is all about.

[quote user="mersey bob"]

After reading all the posts this week regarding Hughton and his 2 helpers - most of which I agree with, let''s just get behind the players. How so called City fans boo the guys who wear the shirt before they even run out on the pitch is a disgrace. We need maximum support to help get 3 points and climb the table. Leave the Board to sort out the bigger problem of the Manager,David McNally is no fool and will do what I required.OTBC.  

[/quote]

This is a long shot mersay, but i think there might might even be a  whiff of bin about this thread. It''s great to have a new poster on board but , Oh I dunno, just the one post? Calling the coaches "helpers" .

You are right of course, we always boo the players BEFORE they walkout at Carrow Road. I often boo the bloke on the turnstile, the lady that serves the beer and that fat geezer that sits in front of me as he turns up. I also open the window and boo the ducks on the river in Thetford ( I hate Suffolk people soooo much) At Portaloo I understand you boo as well, but as there is 4 seats between you all noone can here it?

How is Mad Mick by the way? Shame he didnt get the Ireland job innit?

KG- Couple of things.

I believe that time used making substitutions is added on by the ref.

Players that take the field should be fully warmed up, its not like they have sat on the bench for 80 minutes and then just jump up and take the field of play.

So after the manager has started with his best 11, and given them every chance to win the game, you''d rather he doesn''t roll the dice, then you can criticise him for not making subs at all?

People seem to get confused here and think we have world class players sat on the bench that can come on and single handedly win us games. Fact is, our squad really isn''t that strong.

interesting, safe to bet if the players perform badly tomorrow we can consider that thier vote of confidence for Hoots.Ive said all along, tomorrow is win winwin = we get 3 pointslose = board has to shift Clueless Chris

Draw is the worst case senario

Thanks for your comments GPB but you are a tad wide of the mark. I''m far from being a binner, I saw my first game at Carrow  Road in 1960.Also I bought considerable blocks of shares to help the Club and haven''t bothered cashing a dividend cheque yet. I don''t get to as many home games due to the 500 mile round trip. For me it''s always a treat to watch City at home and I do get annoyed hearing the reaction of some of  the City fans to the team selection. We just need to get behind the players, even when they aren''t playing well and help them to lift their game. If they get a negative reaction from their own fans it makes their job even harder. As for calling Hughtons  assistants helpers, I thought it nearer the mark rather than calling them coaches.

Enjoy your football.OTBC