Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Petition to get Becchio in the team for Saturday

Get him in, lets see what he can do, would love to see him come on and get the winner, but that wont be until the 89th minute knowing Hooton. Hooton Out !!!!!!

I feel for him - i really do. People can bang on about how he''s still earning his money etc etc but a true footballer, especially at 29, wants to be playing games.

The Hughton / Becchio personality conflict rumours are clearly false as even Becchio himself claims there''s been no issue there.

He has every right to come out and explain his frustrations. With RVW out, he should be getting at least some game time.

Hughton''s AGM comments of "I have better options" doesn''t really wash with me. Where''s the proof in that?!

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Get him in, lets see what he can do, would love to see him come on and get the winner, but that wont be until the 89th minute knowing Hooton. Hooton Out !!!!!![/quote]

I''ll sign, and if he do get in then we must boost him up and sing his name to the same tune as the England band always play.

With our injury problems it would actually just make sense to get him involved. We''re too thin on the ground to overlook players who can, at least, do a job.

But I think Hughton set his stall out with Becchio a bit too hastily and I don''t think he''ll want it to look like he was wrong to do so - so I''d be very surprised to see Becchio get a chance.

[quote user="GJP"]

With our injury problems it would actually just make sense to get him involved. We''re too thin on the ground to overlook players who can, at least, do a job.

But I think Hughton set his stall out with Becchio a bit too hastily and I don''t think he''ll want it to look like he was wrong to do so - so I''d be very surprised to see Becchio get a chance.

[/quote]

If he is on the bench then the crowd has to call for him.

At halftime during the West Ham game I joked with the people I sit with that I could just imagine Becchio coming on, getting the winner and then doing some sort of F**k You Hughton celebration in front of the dugouts.  Obviously it didn''t happen, but I can dream again for the Palace match!

Bet everyone around you appreciated that "joke"

Sounds like a right laugh where you sit.

[quote user="Buh"]Bet everyone around you appreciated that "joke"

Sounds like a right laugh where you sit.[/quote]

Bore off, you know what he meant, it wasn''t a ''joke'' more a discussion in jest.

I don''t see how he hasn''t at least featured more from the bench already. He ended last season well and i was looking forward to seeing what he could do this season.

I know he''s had limited opportunity, but in the few times he''s played for us, he''s looked completely off the pace of Premiership football.But hey. We''re not playing well, and when that happens, there is always someone not playing who would make all the difference, right?  Last year it was Sicknote Vaughn. Previous, the King of Spain, and Cody. At least KoS never threw his toys out of the pram and actually earned his spot back. Maybe Becchio should learn from that.

I feel sorry for the man. If the team were doing well and scoring goals freely it is understandable, but the strikers are not striking - only one goal since the second game of the season, and that from a penalty. I think that he missed one chance when he did play last season, but the other strikers are regularly missing chances now. He was given no opportunity to feel his way into the team last season.

He had few enough appearances last year, but in one of them his anticipation and touch set up Howson for possibly the goal of the season.

He says that there is no issue with the manager, but for some reason Hughton has him marked down as "bench warmer", rather than striker. If I were the manager, and seeing my future at CR coming more into question, I would be prepared to try anything almost to change things. The manager seems wedded to his pre-conception that Becchio is not good enough, presumably from performance in training sessions.

there''s a reason he isn''t playing.. still.. lets all pick the team for Hughton shall we?shall we start him up front with Carlo Nash?poor diddums becchio... grow up or sod off!

Hypothetically, let''s say this did happen.Due to x thousand signatures on a partition, Becchio starts on Saturday. He goes on to have a poor game. We lose 1-0.What then? Is Hughton at blame for the loss? Do we still all want Hughton out? Or, is he then somewhat vindicated?Careful what you wish for.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I know he''s had limited opportunity, but in the few times he''s played for us, he''s looked completely off the pace of Premiership football.

[/quote]

I disagree with that.

Firstly, should a new player be allowed a bit of time to get up to speed? New team, new league.

Secondly, I actually don''t think he looked that far off it anyway. Infact he put in a very good shift against Everton. He worked their defence very hard and then got subbed off. Kamara came on and scored a goal. People got swept up in the "feel good" factor surrounding him and Becchio''s good performance that afternoon was quickly forgotten.

That goal put Kamara in the driving seat even though he didn''t do too much after that.

I''m not saying Becchio is the answer as such, not if he want to keep progressing. But for anyone who knows enough about him as a player would know he''s more than worth a shot at this level.

At this point we''re not good enough to justify overlooking him.

I have to agree with the CHs assessment that he is quite good enough tbh but accept that he has not been given much of a run out to show what he can do.  

Based on the (just) couple of starts earlier in the year my view is that he performed at about the same level as holt was performing at that time,  a little less drive than Holt (a grant who was going through his worst spell for us that winter), but functional if unimpressive and not offering a great goal threat (like Grant). 

We then signed Kei who was effectively a further carbon copy,  functional,  little goal threat,  but with greater energy than both and injected some pace along with occassional control.

Since then most agreed that GH/KK were the better options,   and I also agree that GH & KK were right to be moved on in the summer as simply put we needed better.   However as both were perceived as better than LB is it a surprise that he is 4th in the pecking list right now?   Given the choice I would not be playing him either - a sad state of affairs but players should not be given a chance if there are better options available.  While I am not keen on Hooper I would continue to us him ahead of LB,  and would start Elmander aheader of Hooper. 

Becchio never had a spot to earn back ! You do kind of feel for someone bought in and trashed on the bench. What was the point in signing him ?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Hypothetically, let''s say this did happen.Due to x thousand signatures on a partition, Becchio starts on Saturday. He goes on to have a poor game. We lose 1-0.What then? Is Hughton at blame for the loss? Do we still all want Hughton out? Or, is he then somewhat vindicated?Careful what you wish for.[/quote]

At least we''d find out. I''m not saying he is the answer to our goalscoring problems, but he could be. Fact of the matter is, our current played strikers haven''t scored the goals we require, someone robust like Becchio could probably create his own chances in the same way Holt could. Why not try him out.

How about this scenario:

Hughton as predicted ignores this thread and plays Hooper and/or Elmander and we lose 1-0 and either create nothing or those two miss some sitters, then what?

It''s all guesswork and as a statistician, i feel we should hedge our bets a little.

ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 28/11/2013 4:39 PM:

I have to agree with the CHs assessment that he is quite good enough tbh but accept that he has not been given much of a run out to show what he can do.

Based on the (just) couple of starts earlier in the year my view is that he performed at about the same level as holt was performing at that time, a little less drive than Holt (a grant who was going through his worst spell for us that winter), but functional if unimpressive and not offering a great goal threat (like Grant).

We then signed Kei who was effectively a further carbon copy, functional, little goal threat, but with greater energy than both and injected some pace along with occassional control.

Since then most agreed that GH/KK were the better options, and I also agree that GH & KK were right to be moved on in the summer as simply put we needed better. However as both were perceived as better than LB is it a surprise that he is 4th in the pecking list right now? Given the choice I would not be playing him either - a sad state of affairs but players should not be given a chance if there are better options available. While I am not keen on Hooper I would continue to us him ahead of LB, and would start Elmander ahead of Hooper.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Completely agree with this assessment.

I do wish we could have kept KK rather than Beccio - I still think he''s capable of disconcerting Prem defences occasionally - but I suppose shifting LB was problematic, whereas Kei could simply be sent back.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]there''s a reason he isn''t playing.. still.. lets all pick the team for Hughton shall we?shall we start him up front with Carlo Nash?poor diddums becchio... grow up or sod off![/quote]

becchio scored 20 goals before the january window in which we bought him. the guy has every right in the world to express his frustration. hes been banging the goals in for years and deserves a crack in the premier league and at norwich. a player with his record deserves atleast a sub appearance!

Nearly all clubs have or have had players in a similar position, you cant get every signing right. Plus, even though Becchio is a decent player, from what I saw of him at Leeds that is, I personally would rather see Hooper start or of course a fit RVW. Why ever would you sign a petition like this, its a bit playground if you ask me.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Nearly all clubs have or have had players in a similar position, you cant get every signing right. Plus, even though Becchio is a decent player, from what I saw of him at Leeds that is, I personally would rather see Hooper start or of course a fit RVW. Why ever would you sign a petition like this, its a bit playground if you ask me.[/quote]maybe you can''t but by reckoning hoots has signed 5 strikers this calender year for a return of 3 league goals

Kin hell Spartacus, when you put it like that ,our striker situation does look dire. I was thinking about how after failing to land hooper in jan i''d keep an eye on him in champs league as we get a lot of full coverage of celtic games over here, Hoops was v poor, looked totally out of his depth v juventus.

Funnilly enough, one of my employers is Argentinan and they cant understand how LB hasnt got a chance this season, after all ,our other strikers aint doin it. They even watch city games in case he comes on. They could have a long wait .

All this ''Hooper is a better player'' stuff, i fully agree with, but Becchio could play with him or come off the bench, there have been glaring opportunities for that.

Hell even if both Hooper and Elmander are better, there''s a need to adapt and play 4-4-2 anyway and then Becchio would be first off the bench to replace the usually ineffective Elmander.

I agree he probably deserved to be 4th choice at the start of the season, but let''s take a leaf out of Man U''s book, they have Hernandez as 4th choice and still find game time for him.

You watch him get 3 minutes on Saturday and then Hughton will say he''s had his chance. I only hope he can take his chance if it ever arrives.