Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Georgino Wijnaldum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY02hfV2qls

I think he''s the CAM we should be after in January. I first saw him whilst looking at Leroy Fers instagram page whilst he was away on International duty, he seems to be very good friends with this guy so I thought I''d check him out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georginio_Wijnaldum

I found that ^ and since have seen many rumors of clubs that are after him including Villa and Arsenal. Not sure how much he would be worth especially in a January transfer window and it will probably never happen, but i''d love to see him in a Norwich shirt playing with his fellow dutch men.

Spot on Nexus.

People keep thinking of players to be the perfect #10 in a Hughton system.

The idea of handing Hughton more money to spend at this stage is ridiculous.

And the priority has shifted to a winger anyway. Amazing how we can spend £25m and still feel desperately short of three players - a centre back, cover on the wing and a #10.

Some would argue a right back too.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Spot on Nexus.

People keep thinking of players to be the perfect #10 in a Hughton system.

The idea of handing Hughton more money to spend at this stage is ridiculous.

And the priority has shifted to a winger anyway. Amazing how we can spend £25m and still feel desperately short of three players - a centre back, cover on the wing and a #10.

Some would argue a right back too.[/quote]I don''t think it''s fair to say we lack wingers- we have three of them out injured but still can choose from Redmond, Olsson and Murphy. Just bad luck on that front.

Whilst it''d always be nice to bring in players that should improve the overall strength and quality of the squad, I also agreee that it''s not the overriding issue at present. The players we have already got, when fully fit, are perfectly capable of achieving a comfortable mid table finish.

But, due to inept coaching and ridiculous tactics they are not having the best brought out of them. It''s the manager/coaches that are the problem not the squad strength.

Is it that amazing how we can spend £25million and still see that we need players?

I really do question this outlook.

Compare us to the other teams that were promoted the same season as us or last year.

2011-2012:

QPR - Spent over £20million in their first season.

Swansea and us probably spent a similar amount of money, but in terms of technical ability they had the head start.

2012-2013:

QPR spent more than us again.

Swansea spent more than us, spending £15-20million.

Southampton spent more than us in signing just one player. But spent £7million for J.Rodriguez and a rumoured £12million on Ramirez.

Reading didn''t spend that much.

West Ham - unclear but they broke their previous record for Jarvis.

Norwich on the other hand never broke the then club record fee of £3.5million paid for R.Bennett in Jan 2012 and in all likelihood spent less than £10million.

Even this season £25million is not that much in the greater schemes of things.

Swansea have only disclosed three players transfer fees. Wilfried Bony at £12million, Shelvey for £5million and Amat for £2.5million. So again, at least £19.5million - to add to the likes of Michu that they had signed in their first season.

Southampton in Wanyama and Osvaldo spent £25million before you even take into account any other signings. We signed 6 players for that amount.

And that is just the teams that have come up with us or after us and stayed up.

The reality is £25million is not that much when you consider EVERY team had the TV money, and we spent it on 6 players.

RVW was £8.5million. Look at the difference between him and Bony.

Strikers/Goals are the most expensive part of a football team. We needed, and probably still need, strengthening right across the team. We don''t have the wealthy backers that other teams have had to pay off debts and to throw extra money into the coffers. That is what we are up against.

However, having said that, I do believe we have a squad of players that are better than at least 5 or 6 of the teams in this league and for whatever reason they are not performing.

As I have said before, if the manager continues to struggle to get the best out of them the board needs to take the step to change him. I''m not sure how much longer he should be given, but if they are going to twist rather than stick I think they need to do so with some time to spare before the New year to give any new manager a chance to look at the squad and target players they want to bring in.

Well we all have opinions Chicken, I''m not so sure about this bit though:

"Norwich on the other hand never broke the then club record fee of £3.5million paid for R.Bennett in Jan 2012"

The fee was reported at £3.2m, are you sure we didn''t pay more for Bassong?

That has been reported as anything between £3.8m and £5.5m and Levy isn''t the type to let players leave on the cheap.

Not saying you are wrong but just wondering whether McNally or Bowkett have ever confirmed this?

McNally confirmed it. He came out that summer and said that the transfer record had not been broken.

However, I know you are foolish, and like me, probably suspect that he isn''t including add ons etc.

But saying that, if we are not including add ons then we didn''t spend £25million in the summer either.

Either way, although long and arduous, my point was in isolation, as far as our history goes, £25million is a lot of money. But looking at the bigger picture £25million is not much, and when you compare us to similar premier league clubs we are actually playing catch up in terms of money spent and the calibre of players brought in.

I don''t really see how transfer budgets or transfer fees are entirely relevant to my post, so not sure why we needed a full breakdown on how much you think people have spent.

Hughton has had three transfer windows, has a squad of 22 senior players, and has opted not to retain a squad of 25 by loaning some senior players out.

"I said Amazing how we can spend £25m and still feel desperately short of three players - a centre back, cover on the wing and a #10"

Well Barnett was released, Ayala was loan out - that''s centre back. The #10 is a necessity due to the system that Hughton has chosen to play and his unwillingness to play Wes there these days, and we already have a player out on loan (Surman) who can play wide midfield.

Has nothing to do with transfer values, has more to do with not having a squad of 25.

Hughton has signed 16 permanent players and 4 loan players since arriving at the club. We have three senior centre backs.

Your huge ranty post about transfer fees is pretty irrelevant to the simple fact that he released Leon Barnett and then failed to signed Alderweild or an alternative.

Barnett didn''t require a transfer fee.

I think that we could have easily have kept Adeyemi, Surman and Barnett around as squad players to make up the 25.

Now perhaps tell me how much Adeyemi, Surman and Barnett would have cost us in transfer fees? Zilch, so I don''t give a monkeys how much Swanselona and Southampton have spent on players.

Ok so you are effectively retracting the amount we have spent then?

And now you are saying we should have held on to Barnett, Surman and Adeyemi.

Not sure how any of those three would have made a difference.

Surman has played only a handful of games for Bournemouth. And until last week he was all but forgotten as no one would have suspected two injuries to wide players were on the cards.

Going back to transfer fees - in most cases better players cost more money. Arguably of the sort of price we have paid for RVW, but we have done it once, the other teams I mentioned have done it multiple times.

Perhaps we did take a gamble on letting Barnett go but most people predicted and expected it. It only looks dubious now because he is having a good season with Wigan, just like he did for us in the Championship.

"Ok so you are effectively retracting the amount we have spent then?"

Err.... no. I will wait and see what the club accounts say, like I did last time, did you read the last accounts before claiming that we spent just £10m on players in 2012/13?

I think you just miss the point completely. When I say "short on players" I mean that literally. We have 6 out of 22 senior players out injured, leaving us down to bare bones. If we had a squad of 25 we would have more options. I think we have the smallest squad in the league.

I mean literally short of players. I don''t understand how Swansea transfer spend is relevant to that, and I think you should stop trying to argue for the sake of it and pipe down or retract your irrelevant argument about transfer fees. We have 22 players because we didn''t retain enough to have 25.

You just can''t admit that you have got the wrong end of the stick.

My point is that Adeyemi, Barnett and Surman would offer us nothing other than extra bodies at this point in time.

How much of a difference would they make on the results?

Arguably Surman is the only one of those three that has the quality to add something to our matchday squad.

I don''t disagree with what you are saying but I would actually go further.

It''s not the size of the squad, it is that we are not getting enough out of the players we do have. Three more players around the place isn''t going to help that.

I''m not the one arguing for the sake of it and who keeps chopping from one point to another when it''s challenged.

If it is not about the amount of money spent why did you bring the money into it?

Why not just say - How can we still be short on decent squad numbers after three transfer windows?

I think Barnett would have justified inclusion a few times this season after terrible defensive performances and having had Bassong injured on the pitch, and then an injured Bassong on the bench.

Bradley Johnson got minutes on the left side of midfield today - and will probably get more minutes there before a winger can be signed.

Adeyemi is a cracking little player and he will end up back in this league in no time. He would be a perfect squad player.

Fine then:

"How can we still be short on decent squad numbers after three transfer windows?"

There, end of discussion.

Could also quite easily say that Butterfield would be a decent cover player - can play either side of midfield or as attacking centre mid.

Strange one his signing wasn''t it, must have been a Lambert signing as Hughton wasn''t interested.

But there are several players who have left the club who were good squad players who could have done a job if called upon. That''s all I''m really saying.

Hughton made the decision to go forward with a small squad, and is paying the price for that - another 5 or 6 games until the window opens, and we still may not get business completed early.

If we do end up getting a centre back, a winger and a #10 in January - giving us a squad of 25. Then what was the harm in keeping a few players here until January arrived?

Most other teams have made full use of their quota, we decided not to.