Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Stumbling over the line

Good first half, awful, truly awful second half.

Hughton way too late making subs again.

Subbing Wes for Johnson may seem sensible at that time of the game, but Murhpy for Wes would have been more positive and would not signal a nervous finale, which it was.

Wes had a good 1.st half, vanished more in the second, and lost the ball too much, but overall positive, and he made us click in the first half..

Becchio should have come on for Elmander at 60th min, Elmander was running empty and did not do much apart from the hook against the bar.

Good 3 points, but I am not too confident going forward playing like that.

I have question makes over fitness for several of our players, seem to tire quite quickly. Even Fer was strangely subdued by Jedinak I think.

[quote user="grefstad"]Good first half, awful, truly awful second half.

Hughton way too late making subs again.

Subbing Wes for Johnson may seem sensible at that time of the game, but Murhpy for Wes would have been more positive and would not signal a nervous finale, which it was.

Wes had a good 1.st half, vanished more in the second, and lost the ball too much, but overall positive, and he made us click in the first half..

Becchio should have come on for Elmander at 60th min, Elmander was running empty and did not do much apart from the hook against the bar.

Good 3 points, but I am not too confident going forward playing like that.

I have question makes over fitness for several of our players, seem to tire quite quickly. Even Fer was strangely subdued by Jedinak I think.[/quote]
You wanted Hughton to bring on an 18 year old winger, who''s played only a couple of minutes of premier league football (or any professional football) in what was a crucial game against potential relegation candidates, one in which we had the lead and were trying to maintain. Are you stupid, high or insane? 

Phillip must be an avid Hughton fan, are you not?

It is about creating a positive momentum, stupid Positiv performances breeds confidence.

Do you think the Norwich players feel more confident after this win than they did before the match started? No, I can almost guarantee they don''t. Because they were awful in the second half, needing to waste time at every opportunity, kill the game, etc.

When are we going to brood our FA youth cup players, and England youth internationals if they can´t come on for 10-20 mins vs the bottom club in the Premier, when we are 1-0 up, on the back of a good first half, and to top it off got an injury crisis?

What signal is Hughton giving to our young players?

Tell me, mr Phillip.

[quote user="grefstad"]Phillip must be an avid Hughton fan, are you not?[/quote]
I''m on the fence, although I feel he''s been harshly criticized by many
 [quote]It is about creating a positive momentum, stupid Positiv performances breeds confidence.

Do you think the Norwich players feel more confident after this win than they did before the match started?[/quote]
I would assume though, they just won their game. All wins breed confidence, either in your ability to defend or attack or just to get lucky
[quote] No, I can almost guarantee they don''t. Because they were awful in the second half, needing to waste time at every opportunity, kill the game, etc.[/quote]
That''s what  sides in the lead tend to do. In Italy, Norwich could be praised for their ability to do this, not condemned.  
 [quote]When are we going to brood our FA youth cup players, and England youth internationals if they can´t come on for 10-20 mins vs the bottom club in the Premier,[/quote]
When we are comfortably in the lead, not in a crucial game against potential relegation candidates where any result other tan a win would be treated as terrible.
 [quote]What signal is Hughton giving to our young players?

Tell me, mr Phillip.[/quote]
Redmond is playing regularly, Murphy is on the bench. I actually think Hughton is sending quite a positive message to younger players, showing that he''s not afraid to include them and have them around. Hughton is actually very good with younger players and has a knack for including them at the right time.

Saying Hughton is good with younger players, giving them chances at right times, etc can''t be right.

In his time here, Hughton has not played many youngsters. Only Redmond, and a handful of minutes for Murphy springs to mind but not anything else.

Ross Barkley at Everton rarely got any game time when Moyes was there. After Moyes departed, and Martinez came in, Barkley got a chance, and has never looked back after that.

Would Barkley have got a chance in Hughtons midfield setup? I seriously doubt that.

Same with Luke Shaw at Soton. Would never have been played as much with Hughton at the helm.

I could probably find a lot of other examples, but at the end of the day, Hughton is overcautious, showed it again today with the second half display and subbing, and I think you would struggle to convince the City faithful that Hughton is a manager ready to gamble on youth..

Bringing on BJ just invited more pressure, exactly what the team didn''t need, IMHO.

We sat far too deep second half, it seemed as if at half time, Hughton had settled for a 1 goal win and sent the players out with the instruction to simply defend it.

Odd, given that had we continued to play like we did the in the first half, we probably would have scored again.

Go on grefstad, take a look back at the comment,think about it and admit it ....you got it wrong......bringing on Murphy rather Johnson for Hoolahan would have been a massive gamble.......with the three points we desperately needed. Sure, in another game with a different situation and consequences, then yes let''s see more of Murphy....but today like you are suggesting, I respect your opinion, but really dont understand the logic I''m afraid OTBC   

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Go on grefstad, take a look back at the comment,think about it and admit it ....you got it wrong......bringing on Murphy rather Johnson for Hoolahan would have been a massive gamble.......with the three points we desperately needed. Sure, in another game with a different situation and consequences, then yes let''s see more of Murphy....but today like you are suggesting, I respect your opinion, but really dont understand the logic I''m afraid OTBC   [/quote]

I respect your opinion, Mark, but I simply don''t see what Johnson brings to the party. Bringing him on must have spurred Palace on to attack even more, as Johnson does not give them something to think about in the other end of the pitch.

A player like Murphy would be able to stretch them a bit, and we will always need an outlet.

Now, admittedly, Redmond was still on the pitch, and is this kind of outlet, but for me it is about signaling to the team intent to attack and run the game, not sit back and invite pressure.

And in the 10 mins BJ was on the pitch, did he do something other players would not do?

For me, Johnson is a player we don''t need. He does not suit us, we don''t suit him, and we always seem more defensive, inviting pressure, when he is on the field.

Today was all about the result and it''s a good three points. I think it depends on what you want. I want Hughton out, but I have said that I think he will keep us up (just). The problem is most of us think that we should be doing much better that just avoiding relegation. We are now moving up but we can''t expect anything against LFC midweek (playing like that) and we will probably be back down a couple of places. Each time we play a lower-mid table team at home it becomes a 6-pointer and pressure on. I hope I am wrong and the confidence starts to build. OTBC.

[quote user="grefstad"]Saying Hughton is good with younger players, giving them chances at right times, etc can''t be right.

In his time here, Hughton has not played many youngsters.
 [/quote]
Look over his career in general. Who started playing Redmond at Birmingham? Who turned Andy Carroll into one of the most feared strikers in the Premier League (albeit very briefly) and made him into his main striker at 20? Who made Jordon Mutch one of his first choice midfielders when he was 19? Hughton is very good at exposing youngsters at the right time, his success over his three clubs is quite remarkable. 

Just a comparison, Everton were 1-0 up at ht vs Stoke. Could easily have been 0-0, as they scored very late, 45th minute.

What does Martinez do? Yes, sends his team out in the second half with intent to kill the game off.

They scored after 49, again after 58, game over.

And if Martinez´plan had failed, what if Stoke had leveled early in the second half from a counter attack or something (unlikely that Stoke will score from a counter)?

Then they still had almost a half left to score more goals. It is about getting the supporters on your side, cheering the team on, lifting morale, confidence, etc.

Scraping 1-0 wins on the back of a calculated performance does not lift morale, nor help confidence.

Not convinced by todays performance as a whole, and Hughton should still go in my opinion - not the man to take us forward.

This win gives him a bit of breathing space, but it was Crystal Palace, so nobody should start getting carried away - we are still relegation material under Hughton and when Ruddy leaves in January it won''t make life any easier.

[quote user="basil brush"]Not convinced by todays performance as a whole, and Hughton should still go in my opinion - not the man to take us forward.

This win gives him a bit of breathing space, but it was Crystal Palace, so nobody should start getting carried away - we are still relegation material under Hughton and

when Ruddy leaves in January it won''t make life any easier.[/quote]

Having just signed a new 4 year contract!!!! Yea ok bet you £20 that he won''t leave in January!!!

Ever wonder why he signed a four year contract?

It makes sense financially Ruddy as it adds value and he gets his move. You couldn''t begrudge him a move.

I can''t reveal my source, but let''s say it is someone who would be in a position to know. It will happen.

I wouldn''t say it should be a surprise as Ruddy has gone as far as he can here and needs a bigger club to realistically have a chance as England Number One.

Really grefstad? So you don''t think the defence would have taken confidence from that clean sheet today?

[quote user="basil brush"]Ever wonder why he signed a four year contract?

It makes sense financially Ruddy as it adds value and he gets his move. You couldn''t begrudge him a move.

I can''t reveal my source, but let''s say it is someone who would be in a position to know. It will happen.

I wouldn''t say it should be a surprise as Ruddy has gone as far as he can here and needs a bigger club to realistically have a chance as England Number One.[/quote]

Haha my favorite phrase on these forums