Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

A word for Martin Olsson

One of our boys who doesn''t normally get the plaudits but thought he was excellent today.
Solid defensively and made some crucial blocks, and gave us an extra dimension going forward.
Would probably have been in the running for MOTM if I were picking.

Thought he was awful against Newcastle, but thought he was great today. Think he''s been great since he came in, Newcastle is the only bad game he''s had since he came in IMO. If you''re going to play inverted wingers having a full back with pace and who can cross on the overlap is vital to feed the strikers. Olsson is definitely that man on the left, as his pace allows him to get back quickly from advanced positions if the ball is lost, giving him more confidence to go forward. EB may be the man to do this job on the right for me. Dont think Whittaker or Martin have the pace for this, despite being very good in those areas when they do get there - not being able to get back so quickly would either curb their forward runs, or leave them out of position if possesion is lost

I was going to put a post saying we owe that win to Martin olsson he was terrific all game, overlapping supporting redmond and crucial positioning!

Hoolahan played very well! Was delighted to see him starting and used his creativity to set hooper up!

Ryan Benno very good again!

GJP wrote the following post at 30/11/2013 5:40 PM:

Bennett was very good.

At letting Bassong do all the defending.

Lol wow! Shut up!! Bassong won 1 header all game and nearly scored an OG was our weakest link at the back!

All four of our defence were very good today, I would say that''s our first choice back line by some distance.

His header on the line to block Bannan''s goalbound effort was unbelievable. The lad loves to throw his body in front of the ball. I can remember numerous brilliant blocks by Olsson this season.He''s been a great purchase. A really classy full back. Knows how to defend, full of pace and energy, and dangerous in the final third as well. What more could we ask for? [:)]

Yep Olsson is full modern fullback who can do both attack and defence and has great engine to run week after week.

sometimes misstimes a tackle or dont follow runners from midfield, but great player to have and hopefuly we find similar solution on our right back position as where Russ is great defending when we have deep line, but he doesnt give enough forward and has some problems to keep up with pacy wingers.