Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Chris Foy

Usually one of the better ref''s, but although he wasn''t terrible today I was a tad disappointed in his performance. He appeared to be overly relaxed today Elmander was being hauled all over the place usually by 3 defenders in the first half, which went totally un-noticed. Now, the sloppy bits. Our free kick that was under the nose of the lino in the first half, was taken virtually on the edge of their box - and this was a theme that continued all game.

Allowing people to take throws and free kicks from where ever they felt like it. Another thing was the amount of time Palace wasted in the first half (until they went behind that is). Shocking length of time taken for goal kicks, free kicks and throw ins - yet no word from Mr Foy.

There was a throw in during the second half where 90% of the ground were screaming for a foul throw against a Palace player after he appeared to be standing with his foot over the line, when throwing the ball. Now to shock many of you - you CAN stand ''on the pitch'' when taking a throw in! The laws state that ''(a player) has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground outside the touch line''. This means he can stand on the pitch with his heels on the touchline, and it is NOT a foul throw!

Chris Foy 7 - Not quite up to his standard (but not too bad)

Agree generally however I thought he was quite strict on throw ins, standing in line with where he wanted them taken

Free kicks, sort of agree although there wasn''t much difference

7 is about right maybe an 8

What about Bassong''s header over the bar, in the first few minutes? Shirt stretched to twice it''s normal size. Nailed on penalty (but not for us, of course).

Agree with that Wazzy, but of course I am a standard football fan who always feels a bit better after we have won!

There was one decision that had me jumping off my seat, the very late free kick he gave against Whittaker. It just seemed he couldnt wait to give it. These are the potential "big" decisions  , a minute to go, a free kick lofted into the box and pandemonium reigned - if Palace had of scored (and they very nearly did) it would have been the highlight decison on MOTD. I can''t help but feel it was one of those "look at me I''m strong enough to give it" decisions that refs feel they have to give. 

Otherwise, didnt see a lot of him save as you say some of the restarts were miles away from the offence. There was a free kick that the Palace GK took about 20 yards inside from the touchline , when the offence was shoulder barge on the line itself.

Ron, I can''t remember seeing many penalties given for shirt pulling, not even for Man.U at Old Trafford under Fergie.

They just don''t given, because somewhere else in the box a Norwich player was almost certainly pulling a Palace shirt. Need to be stomped out, but it won''t be because the FA don''t care.

I agree that would normally be the case, GP, but I really couldn''t see any fouling going on anywhere else.

The situation is becoming ridiculous. They might just as well legalize shirt pulling in the box.

The real problem is it enables refs (& linesmen) to become selective. Witness Arsenal last year.