Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Well done Wes.

Thought he did well considering his lack of games and having to play on the right.

And earlier in the season when people were saying he was past it I was saying that in pre-season Hoolahan and Hooper seemed to have a telepathic connection.

Who assisted the goal today? I would like to see Hoolahan given a go behind Hooper, he is the man to feed the Hooper. I''ve been saying that ever since the USA tour.

I also think that Olsson at left back and Redmond at right wing the is the way to feed the Wolf. Just hope that Hughton will see these things.

Yeah had a good game today. Fitness level looks low but that will come. Good intelligent play with Hooper. Shame Elmander misread a couple of passes.

Very good first half from Wes, faded in the second half, and gave the ball away quite needlessly a few times.

Rightly subbed, due to fitness/match fitness I guess, and Hughton always likes some height on the pitch in the dying minutes.

Positve from Wes, want to see more of him. Should start vs Liverpool, as we need ball players against that kind of team.

It was great to see him back in the first team. He had a few decent moves, a few decent passes and of course a couple of blips, but all in all he played well.

Completely disagree I''m afraid. I thought Wes was poor today. He surrendered possession far to often, slowed down attacking moves and constantly drifted around meaning we lost shape. He ran around in little pointless circles far too often.

I''m not a Wes hater and agree he could be given a go in the middle behind the striker but never, ever out wide.

Made a real difference first half. Gave us vision and a bit of variety.

Clearly tired in the second half, and should probably have been subbed ten minutes earlier. But that''s not surprising given his lack of games. Plus, it was noticeable that Palace were worried about his first performance as they doubled up on him second half, which left space for Jonny H to run into.

Best player on the pitch in the first half, IMHO.

Most of the team played significantly worse in the 2nd half (aside from the defence).

Marc Libbra''s Haircut..

It looks like you''re on your own there then. Did you only watch the first half? Wes did fade in the second half, and did give ball away/get tackled easily a couple of times, but in the first half he was brilliant. He''s the only one with the passing nous in our side to break the offside trap. Everyone else''s passes are too obvious.

I didn''t think he was playing as a winger anyway, he had a free role I thought and was playing all over.

[quote user="Marc Libbra''s haircut"]Completely disagree I''m afraid. I thought Wes was poor today. He surrendered possession far to often, slowed down attacking moves and constantly drifted around meaning we lost shape. He ran around in little pointless circles far too often.

I''m not a Wes hater and agree he could be given a go in the middle behind the striker but never, ever out wide.

Your understanding of football must be very simple.

I thought Wes was "decent" in the first half against a Palace side who gave him plenty of space, I likes his mobility which was clearly an instruction from the Management as they like us know you cant simply play him out wide,and the way he looked to get forward and support. But once Palace changed things around he wasnt strong enough for a battle, and unfortunately when he lost the ball two or three times it was in dangerous positions, sorry if some dont want to hear that. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

I thought Wes was "decent" in the first half against a Palace side who gave him plenty of space, I likes his mobility which was clearly an instruction from the Management as they like us know you cant simply play him out wide,and the way he looked to get forward and support. But once Palace changed things around he wasnt strong enough for a battle, and unfortunately when he lost the ball two or three times it was in dangerous positions, sorry if some dont want to hear that. 

[/quote]

Your right he do lose it two or three times. Still so long as his positives out the negatives and we win football matches his importance and his place in the team is justified.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]

[/quote]

Your right he do lose it two or three times. Still so long as his positives out the negatives and we win football matches his importance and his place in the team is justified.[/quote]

Positives outWEIGH the negatives.

Never convinced normally when Wes plays out wide, but, to be fair he did a great job in the first half.

Lack of match fitness showed in the 2nd 45, but he can do a number for us when required..

But for me, when all the top guys are fit, he won''t be a starter.

It does really frustrate me whe people choose only to focus on Hoolahans shortfalls. No other players mistakes get scrutinised as much as his. And don''t give me the old "wes always loses the ball in dangerous areas" comment, as that isn''t true.

And then other players such as Russ Martin get defended to the hill for their mistakes, yet he rarely brings anything positive to the side.

We have to accept wes''s short comings and realise we are much more likely to win with him in the side. Is there another player in the squad who dramatically improves our chances of winning?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Never convinced normally when Wes plays out wide, but, to be fair he did a great job in the first half.

Lack of match fitness showed in the 2nd 45, but he can do a number for us when required..

But for me, when all the top guys are fit, he won''t be a starter.[/quote]

Top guys? Lol. Hoolahan is more effective than Snodgrass and Pilkington who have both been terrible this season. Wes deserves his place. A place I believe should rarely be in questioned.

Wes was a real difference maker today!

I do think some people just expect too much from him.  It is as though they expect brilliance every time he touches the ball, and when he does make a mistake lambast him for it.  Creative players will give the ball away as they are always looking to open teams up and do the unexpected.  You won''t always get it right, today he got a great deal right.

He was rightly subbed, and became a little careless because he was shattered, but who wouldn''t be that way after barely any playing time?

Great to see him back and IMO key to us playing better this season.

Snake

Wes plays and gets an assist to our only goal. No complaints here.
Certainly tired second half but he''s hardly had much first team football.
Would love to see him roaming behind Hooper or someone else again. Regardless he''s the only player we''ve got who can do something a bit ''special''.
One thing i liked to see was his little lobbed balls over the defence which nearly got Elmander in a couple of times. All of his effective play seemed to come when he was in a more central position, but certainly still put a shift in when on the flank.

First half he was all about about quick, clever little touches. Absolute class.

Second half he tired, & reverted to the frustrating Wes that hangs on to the ball too long & loses possession.

If he can get proper fit again, he''ll turn our season around.

There was an obvious first/second half divide but Hoolahan really looked like he had a point to prove. We were swapping wings regularly first half and this was causing a bit of panic in the Palace defence. If I''m totally honest it was great to see some classic Hoolahan in the first half, the guy is still very talented but a shame to see him get sloppy in the second half. Was it match fitness/sharpness? He is such a deadly player when he''s bang on.

He had his moments against a totally crap team. Second half in particular he played many hospital passes and should have been taken off far sooner. I''d rather Howson was playing in advanced position.

I think we should sell him in January and get over it. He''s way last his best. Let''s move on and improve.

Also have to point out that Hoolahan has found it hard to get into the team lately but has worked hard and certainly given the manager something to think about. Played well from the outset and his energy and drive did us well until he began to tire and make poor decisions. Can someone point out out the paper Hoolahan went to to get his start? He didn''t go to a paper?? oh yeah I forgot, he''s actually got some class.

Lincoln I was about to post and agree with you, but then I read your reply on page two.

What utter rubbish.

You,for a start, focus on other players shortcomings, you defend Hoolahan like he''s some God, mention Martin getting defended, but I''ve seen a lot of posters calling for him to be drooped, head plenty of people say it and seen plenty tweet it. So you''re talking utter BS.

Hoolahan doesn''t drastically improve our chance of winning. He disturbs the balance of the team, he does lose the ball a fair amount and last season he rarely created any clear cut chances. And was hugely disappointing in both cup games this year. Hoolahan has lost a lot of his ability to win us matches. He had a very decent first half today, and showed plenty of signs that he can still be a very useful player. Clearly linked up well with Hooper. But we were playing the worst team in the league, he started to struggle almost immediately in second half. Didn''t, or wasn''t allowed to roam as much and only really had a couple good moments second half. Lost the ball multiple times. Not his fault Hughton took 10 or so mins too long to take him off highlighting the fitness issue.

Hogesar, he''s not our only player who can do something a bit special...

Howson for a start. Scored twice and hit a stunner that lead to Snoddys FK so far this season. always looks capable of doing something special when he bursts forward with the ball.

Redmond. This time next year as long as he keep improving, keeps his shots down more frequently and gets the decision making a bit sharper (or more team orientated) he''ll be a very very special player.

Pilks gets put down because of all the injures. But he''s won us a few games, and when he''s on song he does some fantastic things.

I have always liked Hoolahan! from when I first saw him play at Blackpool,w as delighted when we signed him. And he''s clearly still got something more to offer us, but he is fading. No doubt he struggled second half because of lack of football. But he didn''t struggle for Ireland. And Bassong hasn''t played for 28 days, surely he should have been struggling? In fact, yeah Hoolahan actually played more recently than him for Ireland. And he''s a professional footballer, hasn''t been injured, should be fit. Just lacking a bit of sharpness. It seemed like more than that in the second half.

As long as we can play fluid football, Hoolahan can be a key man still, if not, he''s not going to be effective. And we frequently lack the fluidity, regardless of wether he''s playing or not.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Lincoln I was about to post and agree with you, but then I read your reply on page two.

What utter rubbish.

You,for a start, focus on other players shortcomings, you defend Hoolahan like he''s some God, mention Martin getting defended, but I''ve seen a lot of posters calling for him to be drooped, head plenty of people say it and seen plenty tweet it. So you''re talking utter BS.

Hoolahan doesn''t drastically improve our chance of winning. He disturbs the balance of the team, he does lose the ball a fair amount and last season he rarely created any clear cut chances. And was hugely disappointing in both cup games this year. Hoolahan has lost a lot of his ability to win us matches. He had a very decent first half today, and showed plenty of signs that he can still be a very useful player. Clearly linked up well with Hooper. But we were playing the worst team in the league, he started to struggle almost immediately in second half. Didn''t, or wasn''t allowed to roam as much and only really had a couple good moments second half. Lost the ball multiple times. Not his fault Hughton took 10 or so mins too long to take him off highlighting the fitness issue.[/quote]

As usual GP the only BS bein typed is coming from you. Just look at our record with and without hoolahan over the last 5 years. We lose more when wes doesn''t play. So he must have quite a positive effect eh?

Perhaps Russ Martin isn''t the best example to use. But it took a while for fans to see through the work rate and passion and notice he isn''t actually good enough to be a reqular at this level.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hogesar, he''s not our only player who can do something a bit special...

Howson for a start. Scored twice and hit a stunner that lead to Snoddys FK so far this season. always looks capable of doing something special when he bursts forward with the ball.

Redmond. This time next year as long as he keep improving, keeps his shots down more frequently and gets the decision making a bit sharper (or more team orientated) he''ll be a very very special player.

Pilks gets put down because of all the injures. But he''s won us a few games, and when he''s on song he does some fantastic things.

I have always liked Hoolahan! from when I first saw him play at Blackpool,w as delighted when we signed him. And he''s clearly still got something more to offer us, but he is fading. No doubt he struggled second half because of lack of football. But he didn''t struggle for Ireland. And Bassong hasn''t played for 28 days, surely he should have been struggling? In fact, yeah Hoolahan actually played more recently than him for Ireland. And he''s a professional footballer, hasn''t been injured, should be fit. Just lacking a bit of sharpness. It seemed like more than that in the second half.

As long as we can play fluid football, Hoolahan can be a key man still, if not, he''s not going to be effective. And we frequently lack the fluidity, regardless of wether he''s playing or not.[/quote]
I know what you''re saying GP.
My reference to something ''special'' is a one-touch reverse pass back into the pass of Martin - i''ve not ever seen Howson & co do that. His little lobbed balls over the defence which didn''t come off today but with some pace in attack might have done. His ability to beat players in a central position with close precise dribbling and quick turns - that''s very different to anything we have in the team at the moment.
I''m not going to ignore his faults - they are there and they are quite obvious. But we do look more dangerous when he plays. But, in my opinion, he needs to be played centrally.