Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

On course for 42 points

14 points after 13 games

Unless my maths deceive me then that means we are surely well on course for 42 points and survival

This was always going to be a season of transition and consolidation given the changes we''ve had within the squad and I think given the injuries we have had we''re not in such a bad situation.

I''ve always maintained that we need to achieve progression for us to have had a ''good'' season, 42 points may not see us progress in terms of league position but hopefully we will see progression in the team

Players like leroy fer and Nathan Redmond are the future of this football club and you have to say that both are just going to get better and better.

When you also look at the likes of Ryan Bennett and jonny howson (both future England internationals) you can see why we have a great setup.

Patience is the key with Hughton I believe, it might not be pretty sometimes but he has an extraordinary nack of pulling out a result when it''s most needed, he hasn''t let us down yet has he?

OTBC

P.s. Quick word on those fans who cheered becchio''s substitution onto the field of play. Embarrassing

jesus, doesn''t feel that way for whatever reason. It''s probably due to the negativity around here.

I''d be so much more happier if we could play well-very well in two halfs. not just one of the other. but as you say hopefully it is a working progress. it is also important to remember we have five very key injuries right now in rvw snodders pilks benno and tettey. I can see a nice little run coming once we have one of the three wingers, rvw, and tettey back in shape.

Yeterday''s result was as good as it gets for the time being and while we have the current managerial regime.

The display was ''Hughtonesque'' throughout and quite commendable considering our injury list and the fact that we had to overcome a Palace team clearly benefitting from the ''new manager bounce'' syndrome, especially with their newly found Pulis-style industry.

Like him or loathe him but it does look like we are stuck with CH for the foreseeable future and I, for one, hope that he continues with this ''Houdini Hughton'' impression whenever necessary.

True, young Ryan Bennett is shaping up for greater things. Not sure about Howson though as we have a few better English midfielders floating about atm and if not better by much they have the advantage of playing for one of THE clubs.

21 by the halfway mark will be about right, transfer window , returning injured players and further gelling of the new players could see us end up with around 43 by end of season.

I doubt we will get that many.We will probably be lucky to get 1 point out of the next 2 away games. IMO we will finish on or around 38 pts but this season I feel clubs will survive on 36 or even less

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I doubt we will get that many.We will probably be lucky to get 1 point out of the next 2 away games. IMO we will finish on or around 38 pts but this season I feel clubs will survive on 36 or even less[/quote]

I agree with you on this one Yorkie. We will just survive IMO. I was relieved at FT yesterday but a dose of reality is needed - we beat the bottom of the league team and it wasn''t comfortable. Hughton and his management team should not be the ones to take us forward. We should be aiming to finish 11th at least given the investment but don''t see that. We have key players out so next couple of games will be tough.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]14 points after 13 games

Unless my maths deceive me then that means we are surely well on course for 42 points and survival

This was always going to be a season of transition and consolidation given the changes we''ve had within the squad and I think given the injuries we have had we''re not in such a bad situation.

I''ve always maintained that we need to achieve progression for us to have had a ''good'' season, 42 points may not see us progress in terms of league position but hopefully we will see progression in the team

Players like leroy fer and Nathan Redmond are the future of this football club and you have to say that both are just going to get better and better.

When you also look at the likes of Ryan Bennett and jonny howson (both future England internationals) you can see why we have a great setup.

Patience is the key with Hughton I believe, it might not be pretty sometimes but he has an extraordinary nack of pulling out a result when it''s most needed, he hasn''t let us down yet has he?

[/quote]

The trouble with that calculation is that it is based on seven home games and six away. I have been posting a points per game calculation, but only when we have played an equal number of homes and aways.

The time to post that again will be after we have played Liverpool on Wednesday. That will give a fairer indication of what our final tally might be.

Moving on (and this is not an anti-Hughton point) what struck me yesterday. despite the talk of an injury crisis, was how many options he still had. This is the result of being in our third year in the Premier League.

The back four could easily have had three changes, with Whittaker, Turner and Garrido included. In midfield Johnson could have played, and even Olsson. And Becchio as a possibility up front.

40-41 points looks about right on present form. That should be 5 or 6 points above the trap door this season. It''s not what we had hoped for but good enough.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 01/12/2013 9:00 AM:

" I have been posting a points per game calculation, but only when we have played an equal number of homes and aways..."

And for those of you who want an unbiased view;

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/runin.html

Maybe the OP can come on here Satrday night and repeat this nonsense.

I''d be interested in seeing a points per game weighted according to the opponent''s league position, as these running averages don''t always give a true reflection if we play several stronger or weaker teams within a short period. This one''s sort of along these lines and shows us in a more favourable light - [url=http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/vbothalf.html]http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/vbothalf.html[/url]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 01/12/2013 9:00 AM:

" I have been posting a points per game calculation, but only when we have played an equal number of homes and aways..."

And for those of you who want an unbiased view;

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/runin.html[/quote]

A touch baffled by where the bias was in my posts. Particularly since I calculated a final points tally, based on where we are now, of 41 points and the site you have quoted gives the lower figure of 39 points.

Things may look very different after the final whistle at our next home game where we could very easily have 14 points from 16 games!

In my opinion, for what it''s worth, we are weaker now than we were in our final match of Lambert''s reign despite the money spent, stars acquired and time the new man has had. 8 wins in 2013 just doesn''t look good however you try to dress it up.

Hughton is capable of keeping us up in a relegation dog fight but no more. A change of manager is a risk but is necessary if we desire being at arms length from trouble as we were two seasons back.

I''m cutting Hughton a little bit of slack with my posting because of our awful injury list to key players, thats not his fault imo.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Things may look very different after the final whistle at our next home game where we could very easily have 14 points from 16 games!

In my opinion, for what it''s worth, we are weaker now than we were in our final match of Lambert''s reign despite the money spent, stars acquired and time the new man has had. 8 wins in 2013 just doesn''t look good however you try to dress it up.

Hughton is capable of keeping us up in a relegation dog fight but no more. A change of manager is a risk but is necessary if we desire being at arms length from trouble as we were two seasons back.[/quote] We were also ''at arms length from trouble'' last season. 

Thats the point, we progressed last season as we finished a place higher than the previous year.

That has to be the goal this year as well.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Things may look very different after the final whistle at our next home game where we could very easily have 14 points from 16 games!

Hughton is capable of keeping us up in a relegation dog fight but no more. A change of manager is a risk but is necessary if we desire being at arms length from trouble as we were two seasons back.[/quote] We were also ''at arms length from trouble'' last season. [/quote]

We weren''t at arms length until the very end in my opinion and then were the winners if a freaky final table twist. We won more points under Lambert and had more points by this stage of the season too.

Again, I''m not screaming for CH''s head just think we have gone backwards since PL left and only a more gifted manager will significantly advance us.

Just one question, who says 40 points are going to be enough ? We need to aim for 45-46 points ASAP then sit back and watch them fight it out.

I''d love to know who this mythical beast is who can significantly change our fortunes as no one other club seems to have found him. Is it Lambert, Laudrup, Or Clark all within a couple of points with more money spent over the last few seasons. Arguably it''s Bruce so far this season. And please don''t say Soton as they are heavily subsidised by a benefactor.

[quote user="bloodwagon"]Just one question, who says 40 points are going to be enough ? We need to aim for 45-46 points ASAP then sit back and watch them fight it out.[/quote]I do. 40 has been more than enough in all but 3 seasons.and probably only 36 will be needed.

Sorry Ricardo, this just might be the season when 40 is NOT enough, I for one dont want to take that chance, do you ?ah and BTW love your reports, keep them going :)

Have to take into account we have played the likes of Villa, Cardiff , West Ham and Palace already on our own patch , would not want to bet very much on us picking up points against those teams away . If everybody is honest and take the yellow specs off they would admit we clearly look like a side that will finish bottom 3 , even Sunderland looked prety decent yesterday .

[quote user="Wiz"]Maybe the OP can come on here Satrday night and repeat this nonsense.[/quote]We already have a serial nonsense repeater on here Wiz.Surely you''re not looking for competition are you? [8-)]

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Have to take into account we have played the likes of Villa, Cardiff , West Ham and Palace already on our own patch , would not want to bet very much on us picking up points against those teams away . If everybody is honest and take the yellow specs off they would admit we clearly look like a side that will finish bottom 3 , even Sunderland looked prety decent yesterday .[/quote]

Yet we are still picking up wins and have more points than the sides in the bottom 3...food for thought