Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Russell Martin

Earlier in the week I said that our best right back is on the bench.

Martin was excellent today and if he can continue this sort of form I will happily retract.

Did everything right.

Don''t think Bannan ever beat him, was forced to keep cutting inside and he must have fouled Martin four or five times today.

Thought Martin did all the simple things right today and was much improved, especially going forward and linking with Wes and Redmond.

Don''t think so. Limited in attack yet again. Weak going forward. The fact we played the worst team in the league by far allowed him to get away with it on Sat. Admittedly the lack of a covering winger didn''t help, however I believe Whittacker is long overdue a return.

It''s tough because Martin and Whittaker both have attributes that make them great. I always view it as Martin is better defensively and Whittaker better attacking but both are acceptable in the opposing roles. A real tough one to call, especially as you factor in martin is club captain. Thought Martin did well today and a bit of Russell Martin/Wes Hoolahan interplay was great to see!

I can see the RB position being strengthened in summer (if not January). Martin and Whittaker are both adequate enough for us now though.

Well I thought he was a weak link against a poor side. CB is his position in the PL and he is behind  3 others in the pecking order,as a RB he is not up to it in the PL

I am at a loss to understand why people think Russ Martin had a poor game,

SKY ratings gave him a 7 with the following words, "Broke down the right wing well to earn a number of corners for Norwich"

The BBC match thread included the following;

36:17

Russell Martin (Norwich City) wins a free kick on the right wing.

75:40

Russell Martin (Norwich City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

90:00 +1:19

Whoscored.com a keeper of stats, rated him the second highest score behind Seb Bassong, he also had the highest % pass completeion of the entire defence and midfield and he had more touches than any other player (see below)

87% Pass Accuracy

80% Aerials Won

87 Touches

7.6 Rating

So let''s summarise, he obviously got forward a lot, as SKY and the BBC indicate by their reports, he won a numbers of corners, he won a number of free kicks, he made the original pass that set up the goal, he played his part in keeping a clean sheet, he has an 87% pass completeion % and kept their winger quiet for pretty much the entire match, so what more does the man have to do to please you?

To add to the stats I''ve already posted I was interested to establish that the number of clearances yesterday was as follows;

Bassong 12

Bennett 8

Martin 6

Olsson 1

Johnson 2

Every other outfield player 1 or none.

Also, the number of interceptions were;

Martin 2

Bassong 0

Bennett 0

Olsson 0

Howson 1

Every other outfiled player, none.

IMO he''s doing quite well for a player some don''t rate!

I think he is one of those players who does his job very well but does it in an ''under the radar'' manner. For those who can remember Bobby Moore''s style of play, a player about who it was often said "He doesn''t get his shorts dirty" because he didn''t need to, I think Martin''s style is similar and before anyone jumps all over me I''m not saying he is as good as Bobby Moore just that his style of play is similar.

Here''s some more,

Crosses;

Redmond 18

Martin 4

Hoolahan 4

All others 1 or none

Accurate long balls;

Howson 6

Martin 5

Bassong 5

All others 4 or less.

As Joe Mercer (I think it was) once said about the Argentinian Ratin, and I paraphrase, "He''d get in my team son.

Whilst I agree that Martin was good going forward at times, his main role is a defender.Sitting in Area O gives a good view of his defensiveness in the first half, and poor view in the second,

First half he was so so at best in the defensive role. Watched him get nutmegged far too easily, and easily passed by Palace attacking. Other times he was solid.

And he does still seem too slow getting back from his forward runs, that were very good.

Those that say he had a good game must have had abetter view of the second half, and not the first.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Well I thought he was a weak link against a poor side. CB is his position in the PL and he is behind  3 others in the pecking order,as a RB he is not up to it in the PL[/quote]You hit the nail on the head. Most of his fan club seem to be wearing rose-tinted glasses, but if right back was his only position then at best he''d make a reasonable squad player.

Decent game at home against the weakest side in the league has made up for some recent poor showings.

[quote user="Ray"]I am at a loss to understand why people think Russ Martin had a poor game,

SKY ratings gave him a 7 with the following words, "Broke down the right wing well to earn a number of corners for Norwich"

The BBC match thread included the following;

36:17

75:40

Russell Martin (Norwich City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

90:00 +1:19

Whoscored.com a keeper of stats, rated him the second highest score behind Seb Bassong, he also had the highest % pass completeion of the entire defence and midfield and he had more touches than any other player (see below)

87% Pass Accuracy

80% Aerials Won

87 Touches

7.6 Rating

So let''s summarise, he obviously got forward a lot, as SKY and the BBC indicate by their reports, he won a numbers of corners, he won a number of free kicks, he made the original pass that set up the goal, he played his part in keeping a clean sheet, he has an 87% pass completeion % and kept their winger quiet for pretty much the entire match, so what more does the man have to do to please you?[/quote]

you weren''t there to see his poor performance ,, stats can be very misleading

This goes to show how people perceive things so differently. I thought he passed the ball well, linked up with the right midfielder well, his crossing was improved (played the ball to Hoolahan which led to the goal), and he wasn''t afraid to boot the ball out for a throw on a couple of occasions.

Much improved for me. Still think Whittaker needs to be featuring more though.

Barclay,

Assumptions make an ass out of u and me, and on this ocassion it;s just you. I was there and in a very privileged position.

Be careful, be very careful!

Just because I and the stats have different opinons to you doesn''t make us wrong, nor does your opinion make you wrong, but!!

He''s been in a poor patch but I thought he was good against Palace. A very astute pass to set Redmond away for the goal.

Now work this one out......I think Whittaker is a better player than Martin.....BUT prefer Martin in the side, I just do......he''s a bit of Mr Norwich City and I like that!