Sign in to follow this  
channonswindmill

Managers that don't suit their team.

Sadly I think this applies to us, we are a low profile premiership team who previously profitted under the guidance of manager who is arrogant, had self brelief and instilled this in his players, hence when watching our beloved City we always believed we could always score/ stage a late come back.Now, we always look beaten from the off. Very similar to Worthington we, now have a nice guy in charge, a gentleman... but not a winner, he is a soft touch, lovely guy, but not what we need. .we need an inspirationsl manager who can motivate and inspire players to perform to the peak of their potential. I will put my tin hat on and suggest Mike Phelan must be in place long before January, after all he he is a winner in his career and has learnt from the best. Procrastination will only see us down.

I don''t get the Mike Phelan love in....

A man who has never managed in the Premiership v. a man who kept his team up comfortably in his first season with the club

Maybe its because he is an ex Norwich player and if you are of a certain age that would prove attractive to you....fortunately or unfortunately I''m not of that ''certain age''

The irony is that Mike Phelan is a top bloke. A lovely bloke. Just like Hughton...

And of course Lambert is not coming back.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I don''t get the Mike Phelan love in....

A man who has never managed in the Premiership v. a man who kept his team up comfortably in his first season with the club

Maybe its because he is an ex Norwich player and if you are of a certain age that would prove attractive to you....fortunately or unfortunately I''m not of that ''certain age''[/quote]

Agree totally, this just sounds like Peter Grant Mk II. I''m just of an age to remember him and it still doesn''t sound good.

I would also argue that Chris Hughton was a more successful coach/assistant manager than Phelan....yes Phelan was part of a management team that won trophies but how much was that down to him? (you have to give him some credit)

Hughton was a coach for years under some top managers (at the time) including another strange ''candidate'' for some people, Glenn Hoddle.

If we are to change our manager we need a complete change of direction, someone along the lines of Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche who would both have something to prove.

This might prove unpopular but Martin Jol would also be in for a shout should he be sacked by Fulham. A top manager but a ''puppet'' at Fulham think he could be more successful at Norwich.

Malky would be a complete disaster as would Zola.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I''m almost certain he''ll be sacked within the next 48 hours[/quote]I''m almost certain that he won''t.

The Worthington comparison is actually, way, way off.

He took a very poor team that were relegation contenders, turned them around to be promotion hopefulls, to the play off finals and then pushed a bit harder and lead us to the league title and promotion as a result.

Unsurprisingly we failed to stay up with what was a generally ageing squad and with very little cash injection into it. Despite that we were relegated only needing a couple of points to have stayed up, despite all of the odds.

I would even say things were going ok until we sold Ashton. After that we seemed to struggle. The club either didn''t have the money or they wouldn''t give it to him to use despite his rather decent track record of having signed some good players for relatively little money.

When he left we still had a decent squad and we certainly not in poor shape, but under-achieving.

When I look at Hughton I do think his signings have been good. But at the moment, it''s not just our away form. Worthington made us hard to beat but when we got the ball we tried to play. I remember many of the away games in the promotion season and the premiership season and I don''t remember too many people moaning that we didn''t try to create more.

When Worthy went, most people agreed he had become a little ''stale'' and appeared to struggle to lift the players anymore.

Whereas with Hughton - people have been saying this for some time and arguably hasn''t got consistency out of the team in the same way Worthington did - even in the premiership.

very difficult to compare Hughton to Worthington in terms of consistency because Worthington managed the team in the Championship.

Maybe the best indicator is their like for like first season record in the Premiership:

Worthington: 19 Norwich City (R) 38 7 12 19 42 77 −35 33

Hughton: 11 Norwich City 38 10 14 14 41 58 −17 44

Key things there are the finishing places and the points total, not to mention the goal difference being near enough half of what Worthington''s was.

Think it would be very difficult to suggest that Worthington''s record in the Premiership was better than Hughton''s

Ahhh but did Worthy have any games of beach football[H] Or revolting players[+o(] Or other managers handing him goals on a plate[pi]

We need to establish these things in order to make meaningful comparisons that would have no meaning whatsoever...

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="refjezdavies"]I''m almost certain he''ll be sacked within the next 48 hours[/quote]I''m almost certain that he won''t.[/quote]

Only 5 days out in my prediction then Ricardo :)

Worthy?  Jol?Phelan?I''d rather have Hughton.   He could prove to be one of our best managers ever, if he is allowed to mould the team as he wants - which will take time.   People always want things now.   Well, I''m sorry, it doesn''t always work like that.  The transition from a gung ho wannabe premiership club to a grown up premiership club will take time.   We see in snatches what the team is capable of - the confidence is fragile, but underneath it all the belief is still there. So why does the grass have always to be greener?   Hughton is in charge now.   For goodness sake let him get on with it without this constant wish for some instant fix from somewhere else.   Also op, why do you say we are a low profile premiership team?  In whose eyes? Yours?

[quote user="channonswindmill"]No certainly not in mine, however we are low profile and to argue that we are not would take some doing imo.[/quote]

Don''t bet against Lakey making a case. Particularly if he can get extra large balconies on that hotel in the corner.