Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Southamptons defensive brilliance

Southampton are really good on the defensive.

They press very well, and with almost all available personell, doing a lot of running off the ball, and dare to press high when they have lost the ball.

Almost like Man C does when they play at home. Similar to what Barca and Real Madrid also do when they lose the ball.

So is it a fitness thing? Or is it that their manager seem to know a few things about defensive organization that our "used-to-be-a-defender" manager, Hughton, does not?

I´m impressed everytome I see Soton play. They are so difficult to play against, and it is all do do with the discipline they show when they lose the ball, hunting it down almost like a wolf pack.

Didn''t we beat Soton?

Have to admit they found a gem in their manager. Very intelligent and expensive acquisition. Well done to them.

We did beat them, but I''ve heard that Pochettino agreed to "beach" the team and throw the game in order to get first dibs on signing Becchio in January.  I was hoping that would stay secret, but I guess it''s out there now.

Southampton''s pressing game will be easily undone after the turn of the year as fatigue sets in. Do not be surprised to see them floating around in mid-table mediocrity come the end of the season. Also, why is ''used-to-be-a-defender'' in inverted commas, when he quite definitely was a full-back? Southampton have spent more money on building a better squad than us. I fully expect them to do better than us, as Lambert made a Championship squad look very good indeed (all credit to the man)- and the money Hughton has spent he has spent in order to keep us competitive and get our squad to mid-table Premier League level.Towards the end of Lambert''s tenure there was every evidence that his squad had most definitely been found out. Irrespective of the whys and wherefores- he didn''t stay and disprove that. Hughton then papered over the cracks in the next year to keep us up, and this year has built a squad with the ability to be midtable. That''s where it will be.

A lot of OT posts happening, why is that? Oh I get it, for the most part its just another way of having a crack at Chris Hughton.

ANd when I praised Soton, I jinxed them. 2-1 down now, and Chelsea running the show completely.

The pressing game too hard for Soton, fitness wise?

They play some good stuff but are naive and too one dimensional.

This years Swansea, they are destined to tumble I think.

This really is a terrible result for us, we managed to beat the brilliant defence of Southampton and lose to Chelsea and know they''ve scored three against them, we all know what that means, we going to get relegated, Delia will finally sell up and we''ll be bought out by a middle eastern billionaire who change our name to the Norwich Natterjacks, our shirts will change to red and blue checks, the owners nephew will be put in charge of pies and half time entertainment will be the Barclay V Riverend in a game of British Bulldog.

I don''t care, I stopped going in the early eighties ''cos it got boring.