Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

Becchio's 10 minutes

Think you''re right - Elmander is playing well at the moment. Becchio shouldn''t automatically replace him by any means - hopefully now Becchio''s being considered all of a sudden (bit confused that going to the national media does actually get you game time now) - competition for that position will increase.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]The reaction to Becchio was proper, proper little ol'' Norwich tinpot stuff.

The clamour for his introduction based on nothing of any substance was largely embarrassing. In fact, the volume surrounding his introduction was far louder than anything produced at the final whistle when the points were secure.

I''ve never heard such an indifferent reaction to a home victory. I overheard fans saying they''d rather we lost today, more of the same was confirmed by others in the pub afterwards. I guess that''s Premier League fans for you, the journey to the top is brilliant but you don''t half pick up some ***** on the way.[/quote]Funny how people judge things isnt it ? You saw it as tinpot cheering for a crap player.I saw it more as a group of fans sympathy and support to a player who hasnt got an opportinity. End of the day he hasnt had a chance, he went to the media which could have had a vastly negative effect. He obviously has fan sympathy.I dont think fans cheered him because they thought he was going to score a hattrick , but more cos they felt for the guy.

To add to that, I dont think any Norwich fan worthy of the title would ever want us to lose a league game. I think the fans are just tired of the expectation and bored of clueless Chris.In some ways lose today and I am pretty sure the board would have been forced to fire him. A win today just prolongs the agony of the Hoots era.I know we are not going to win the Prem league anytime soon but jesus christ we play un-inventive football.Our midfield are restrictedand its painfull to watch the likes of Howson and Fer not able to use thier obvious ability to push on. Sometimes I think Hoots needs to trust his team a bit more.We should have had Palace 3 or 4 nil. They were crap, but we were not a million times better which is sad. Now , midweek tonking at Liverpool this week and we will be back to where we were !Hoots out.

Becchio has got to want it more

Elmander is a quality player, you don''t win all those caps for Sweden by playing rubbish

I don''t think you can accuse Becchio of "not wanting it". Far from it, his outburst, rightly or wrongly shows he wants it. I thought he did as well as he probably could in 10 minutes and I actually think he has a role to play. Also bear in mind, when youve had only a handful of minutes in almost a year you''re not going to be the sharpest when you do get the nod (another reason why he should get a little more game time)

For me, Becchio is the perfect sub striker and should be used more, though not a starter necessarily. He''s a big unit that can hold the ball up which is a useful outlet if you''re either chasing the game or defending a one goal lead late on. Sometimes our lack of ability to win hold and retain the ball in the final third has been our downfall.

That said, I thought Elmander had his best game for us yesterday. He doesn''t mind doing the dirty work which is great.

Sorry Henrik, perhaps I should''ve explained myself better.

Becchio went up for 2/3 headers where he should have cleanly won however was bullied off by the defenders each time.

Clearly he needs to want it more in the final 3rd and may go some way to explaining why he isn''t getting regular game time.

Elmander does a lot of his work off the ball, his movement is first class.

So, Elmander won a corner in the first minute, hit the bar with an acrobatic flick, laid the ball to Wes for the goal, chased everything, won some headers, harassed defenders and supported Hooper or, to put it another way, did nothing!!!

Becchio did fine but to put him before Elmander after yeasterday in just perverse.

I think we saw yesterday what the coaching staff have seen all season which is that whilst Becchio is a fine player and has plenty to offer, he is up against a more complete player in Elmander.

Definitely lived up to the hype. Looked our best player since Hucks! Elmander looked like another Donkerty to me. Worthy Out!

Both were about 6/10 the whole time they were on the pitch. Neither of them is the answer but it was good to see Becchio at least get a chance and hopefully now that he knows the support is behind him and he isn''t a forgotten man he will hopefully push on.

To be honest though Elmander was never an AM and I think we should have looked elsewhere. Hoolahan for all his flaws is just plain better in that position off the striker which Howson can play in as well and Becchio can do everything Elmander can in the striker position, I did think it was a strange signing at the time

Wes was terrific yesterday for an hour. Yet at Watford we looked slow and deliberate until he was replaced. I think it''s great we have all these different options. We are where we are having played 22 different players in the league this season. That would suggest Hughton has done well to assemble such a strong squad. Or that''s how it seems to me..

See this is the problem, you look at how much our team and particularly the squad has improved since our first season, how many options we now have etc and think we should be performing better than we are, mainly from a performance point of view, results you have to say after the Palace game are acceptable.

Then if you compare our spending compared to the rest of the league including wage budget and then you have to say Hughton is performing better, much better than could be expected. Yes we''ve spent a lot of money but if you look at our squad how many plyers would you say are genuinemid table quality? Players that we''d be having to fend off bids from the likes of Everton/Newcastle for? I''d say

Ruddy

Bassong

Fer

Ollson

Snodgrass

RVW

The rest are potentialy that level when older are always injured or are lower Prem (Where we are) and top Championship players so when you analyze it you have to say Hughton''s doing a good job. But god damn it''s hard to get behind some of the dross we''ve been served up under him regularly!

It points to Hughton doing a good job. Bassong got relegated with both Newcastle and Wolves before coming here. Genuine interest from Everton about Fer and from Chelsea regarding RVW suggest that we are bringing in better quality. To do so throughout the team will require patience and time. Meanwhile we have to get our players to out-perform those from clubs with bigger budgets.

Cambridge canary how can you say Elmander laid the ball to Wes? It was a awful shot that luckily found Wes.

Also Becchio has only had a couple of starts compared to Elmander, the rest he has been coming off the bench and if you''ve played football before you would know its difficult getting up to game speed coming off the bench late on to make an impact. So how can you say Elmander is more of a complete player?

Have you played football before Cambridge? I''ve cleaned bogs and I think Elmander is probably a more complete player than Becchio. He''s certainly stronger and more street wise on the pitch. This is not to say Becchio hasn''t got good points too. He''s probably better playing off the shoulder of the last man. But we haven''t really seen much of that.

Your opinion Hazza. I disagree.

Your argument is that Elmamder might not be a more complete striker because Becchio has had fewer starts.

I like Becchio and have seen him play a number of times for Leeds. He didn''t start his career at Norwich you know. Then again, perhaps you''ve been too busy playing football to notice. Elmander contributes a lot more to the team as he demonstrated yesterday

Neither of these players are the answer, in my opinion.

Elmander has been no better than average for us and in some games he has been less than that. Though he''s not hopeless either. Sometimes he gets more credit than he deserves and other times some of the criticism of him is unfair.

Becchio is unlikely to set the Premier League on fire but, as I''ve said before, he''s more than capable of being a useful player for us. What I do find a bit ridiculous is that after not playing all season he''s come on for 10 minutes of league football and people are using this to back up their opinion that he isn''t up to it. How many players would impress in such situations?

Hooper is looking a bit more bit up to it recently and hopefully RVW will settle down ok but we could probably do with another good forward - ideally.

I think Elmander is a more cultured footballer.  If you want someone to do a nifty back heel on goal like Saturday he''s your man.  I just wish he''d do more of the down to earth parts of the game like winning 50/50 headers or hoofing the ball in the bottom corner.

Becchio always looked a quality finisher when we played him in the lower tiers, didn''t he score an excellent equalizer from outside the box against us at Elland Road.  Not sure if he''s Prem class but given Elmander''s mixed performances I wish he''d been given more of a chance this season.

Hooper is different to both in that he''s a goal poacher with less of an all round game but has been improving generally and would be hard to drop with his key contribution to our last 2 wins.