Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

Becchio's 10 minutes

What did everyone think of his short time on the pitch? He didn''t put a foot wrong as far as I could see. A few neat touches, good hold up play and some good link up play. Hopefully it wasn''t just Hughton trying to appease the fans by playing him. Would like to see him start ahead of Elmander.

Looked a better option than Elmander to me. Decent touches and won a number of headers inc a vital one from a wicked Palace free kick just in front of the Barclay goal.

I think that will probably be the name of his autobiography :-)

Was he on long enough or have enough touches to really make a judgement, that said, from what little we did see, I thought he worked hard just like the rest of the team today....would have been brilliant for all had he notched though!

It seemed to me that Hooper and Becchio look a more natural partnership than Hooper and Elmander, Hooper just seemed more able to understand what Becchio was attempting to do.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]It seemed to me that Hooper and Becchio look a more natural partnership than Hooper and Elmander, Hooper just seemed more able to understand what Becchio was attempting to do.[/quote]

Agree 100% Becchio is an intelligent player and it shows

Showed just what a weak manager we have at the club , was it Becchio going to the papers that got him on the pitch or did Hughton have a little look on the messageboards and see almost everybody backed Becchio.

So Canary One. If Hughton doesn''t do what posters on here want it''s because he doesn''t know what he''s doing, can''t see what''s obvious etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

If Hughton does do what posters on here want it''s because he''s weak and follows the herd and doesn''t know his own mind, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

The poor sod really can''t win with some of the posters on here can he?

Limited time to impress but did what he had to.

Quite simply we''re not so good and he''s not so bad that he should have been overlooked for so long.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]So Canary One. If Hughton doesn''t do what posters on here want it''s because he doesn''t know what he''s doing, can''t see what''s obvious etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

If Hughton does do what posters on here want it''s because he''s weak and follows the herd and doesn''t know his own mind, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

The poor sod really can''t win with some of the posters on here can he?[/quote]

He''s made that bed for himself.

Well if Becchio didn''t shine after the build up he got then he never will.

I thought he did well when he came on, was looking for Hooper and had some success in finding him against a tiring defense. I also recall a pretty good defensive header.

It''s totally different when you start a game but for me I would like to see him get a chance in place of Elmander.

Am I the only one who thought Elmander did very well today? Does a huge amount of work for the team which clearly goes unnoticed by lots of people.

Becchio did okay, one good clearing header and a neat layoff but nothing that would instantly promote him ahead of Elmander. Deserves more time to prove himself off the bench, but the reaction of a lot of fans towards him and against Elmander is crazy.

Becchio did lose the ball twice. But we''ll ignore that shall we, because we all love him at the moment?

He didn''t do much wrong, won a couple of important headers. Was clever with the ball in the corner. But Elmander also does that sort of stuff. Don''t understand why so many seem to hate Elmander. Never gets the credit he deserves.

[quote user="IS"]Am I the only one who thought Elmander did very well today? Does a huge amount of work for the team which clearly goes unnoticed by lots of people.

Becchio did okay, one good clearing header and a neat layoff but nothing that would instantly promote him ahead of Elmander. Deserves more time to prove himself off the bench, but the reaction of a lot of fans towards him and against Elmander is crazy.[/quote]

Didn''t see this post!

No you''re not. Its three good games in a row from him now. He does a lot of the dirty work, wins headers, gets in the way. Is a pretty clever player. Wouldn''t want him to be our main striker, but he''s done quite a lot of small, but useful things in last three appearances. Yet still gets so much flack.

Its funny people slating the crowds reponse to becchio, saying it was embarassing etc, think you will find the fans were getting behind a man they believe has been harshly treated, and i agree. You cant win, people complain when people arent getting behind the players, then when they do they are saying its embarassing. And conpairing him to cody mcdonald is obviously by someone who didnt see cody play.

In the 10 minutes he came on, he won every header unlike Elmander who hardly won a header and held the ball up well unlike Elmander who''s first touch was awful. Also made a crucial defensive header. Would much prefer him in the team than Elmander as he was poor again today.

I wonder what would have happened If one of Ferguson''s players had gone to the media and had a little moan about not playing - would we be suddenly seeing him on the pitch for the next match?

The reaction to Becchio was proper, proper little ol'' Norwich tinpot stuff.

The clamour for his introduction based on nothing of any substance was largely embarrassing. In fact, the volume surrounding his introduction was far louder than anything produced at the final whistle when the points were secure.

I''ve never heard such an indifferent reaction to a home victory. I overheard fans saying they''d rather we lost today, more of the same was confirmed by others in the pub afterwards. I guess that''s Premier League fans for you, the journey to the top is brilliant but you don''t half pick up some ***** on the way.

[quote user="peateabee"]I wonder what would have happened If one of Ferguson''s players had gone to the media and had a little moan about not playing - would we be suddenly seeing him on the pitch for the next match?[/quote]
Depends on if he had injured strikers or not.

Warren...."I''ve never heard such an indifferent reaction to a home victory. I overheard fans saying they''d rather we lost today, more of the same was confirmed by others in the pub afterwards. I guess that''s Premier League fans for you, the journey to the top is brilliant but you don''t half pick up some ***** on the way."

Sad but true!

Eadie4england,

No one is comparing him directly with Coooody. It''s more the way people are calling for him to play as if he''ll be the saviour of our season, without any real substance to their claims. Just like loads of people did with McDonald.

If he goes in January, people will no doubt be crying about it for years.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]The reaction to Becchio was proper, proper little ol'' Norwich tinpot stuff.

The clamour for his introduction based on nothing of any substance was largely embarrassing.
In fact, the volume surrounding his introduction was far louder than anything produced at the final whistle when the points were secure.

I''ve never heard such an indifferent reaction to a home victory. I overheard fans saying they''d rather we lost today, more of the same was confirmed by others in the pub afterwards. I guess that''s Premier League fans for you, the journey to the top is brilliant but you don''t half pick up some ***** on the way.[/quote]
Disagree entirely. It''s representative of fans opinion which was always going to be the case because the management / player have made such a big deal about it. The management have by freezing him out completely - when we have had an injury hit, non-scoring front line all season. That''s bound to cause frustration for fans that were pleased when we signed him and for the player himself.
I said, weeks before it wouldn''t be long until Becchio came out and voiced his frustration and it happened. What you see as proper little tinpot stuff is what i see as fans getting behind a player they feel hasn''t been given a fair chance and the paying fans haven''t seen enough to judge him on. That''s the reality

Becchio was no better than Elmander..

That said I think Elmander did fine in the first half. Without him we wouldn''t have scored and with him we had couple of half chances and chances more during the game.

We would need a lot more and better crosses to get more out of either of these two so in my opinion they should be in pecking order where they are now, but Elmander as a impact/tactical player or change tactics.

Becchio''s biggest problem is that he is awfully slow. For example he had great chance to turn and shoot/pass near box, but after he made the turn he was already surrounded when either of our wingers or Hooper would have got something out of it.

I think people who say he was good today are somewhat blind for the fact that he havent played and that he replaced Elmander that haven''t fitted in our game tactics this far.

His first touch was no better than Elmander and Elmander did win headers during the game surrounded more players than Becchio had at the end of the game.

IS you aren''t alone - Elmander had a decent game, the blinkers on some are amazingly effective; he seems to be the current scapegoat.

The thing about Becchio is that he came on for 10 against a tiring defence who were chasing the game. I''ve absolutely nothing against him, and would love him to come off but he did pretty-much what you''d hope for, not much more (or, indeed, less). He had a few good touches, but not really enough to say much, and certainly not enough to displace Elmander.