Sign in to follow this  
Warren Hill

Candidates becoming available all the time

With Martin Jol and Dave Jones being sacked today there are an increasing number of decent candidates becoming available to succeed Houghton.

Having already missed out on Pulis, Poyet and Meulensteen, surely it''s important that the board act quickly before we miss out on the likes of Jol, Jones, and of course Holloway too?

As you imply, it is indeed unfortunate that the management team was not changed last Summer at which time there was both a wider field of potential talent without clubs but also time to approach a club for an in-work manager.

But the club were highly unlikely to sack a manager that had just finished in the highest position for decades. One day it might sink in.

Jol is a decent manager regardless of the Foolham mess, didn''t they have a self imposed transfer block recently?

Probably not for a while. I thought we''d beat Palace comfortably Herman but we made somewhat hard work of it. I also think we''ll nick a point at West Brom - tend to have close games against the Baggies.

@Wiz - I would say Jol would be a fair bet, but not right now. I should think he needs a break to clear his mind of what has been happening at Fulham and a chance to recharge the batteries. He''s probably a bit run down from the last few weeks as it is.

Other than that, arguably his most successful stint as manager in this country was at Spurs with a certain someone as his assistant.

Jones - I would not touch with a bargepole, a shifty/shady character if you ask me.

I''m also yet to be convinced about Poyet and Pulis openly admitted in the interview with MotD, that he is unlikely to give up tactics that have seen him keep a team in the premier league for 6 years.

If Hughton''s style is defensive then Pulis'' style is hyper-super-mega defensive. At one point at Stoke he was playing a back four made up entirely of centre backs.

In business there is prevalent tendency to favour the new dollar over the dollar you already hold. Psychologically it appears shinier. In the context of our history we are in a period of huge success. Should there be an superior option -additional sales, rather than replacement sales - then that is worth exploring.

The prosaic truth is that the club evolves and many factors contribute to the success on the field. The concept of the manager as the lightning rod for all successes and failures is naive and simplistic.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]before we miss out on the likes of Jol, Jones, and of course Holloway too?[/quote]Steve Tilson is availableMmmmm!!  Holloway and Tilson....Wiz''s dream Team. [:D]

Funny that, my bother is a Bristol City supporter (bottom of div.1) and it''s Holloway, Tilson and Cotterill that''s top of their list for new manager !

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]In business there is prevalent tendency to favour the new dollar over the dollar you already hold. Psychologically it appears shinier. In the context of our history we are in a period of huge success. Should there be an superior option -additional sales, rather than replacement sales - then that is worth exploring.

The prosaic truth is that the club evolves and many factors contribute to the success on the field. The concept of the manager as the lightning rod for all successes and failures is naive and simplistic.[/quote]

Great post mouldy..

I said the other day that the manager is rarely the deciding factor for relegation. Lambert could have been that factor in keeping us up in 2012 but those situations are rare. For instance I doubt Lambert could have kept us up in 04/05. When there were too many other factors against us. Strangely Worthy could have done a Lambert and kept us up if we''d won the play off final in 2002. Hughton''s doing fine as we attempt to become established in this league. If he succeeds he may or may not be the person to take us further. But if we stop striving to go further we will go backwards.

Some of those names I think could do a job here, but I don''t think they''d be any better than Hughton. So if it got to the point where Hughton had clearly lost the changing room and a change/fresh approach might make a difference, then we could go for them. But we''re not there at the moment. May as well keep Hughton for the sake of any of those names.

Dave Jones-nice bloke, but if he''s not good enough for Sheff Wed, why the hell would he be good enough for us?

[quote user="Herman "]But the club were highly unlikely to sack a manager that had just finished in the highest position for decades. One day it might sink in.[/quote]they should have done and yes I said that at the end of last season, its not a knee jerk reaction to whats happening now, it was after watching awhole season of dire football

A whole season? What sort of football do you like City4eva? Hairem Scarem?

Do you go this season, after your whole year of dire football, or have you given up?

Genuine question.

Alex McLeish is still available, I believe. But we''ll have to act quick if we don''t want to miss out.

[quote user="GJP"]

Alex McLeish is still available, I believe. But we''ll have to act quick if we don''t want to miss out.

[/quote]

You''re being ironic arent you?[8-)]

What about David O''Leary?

Steve Kean?

That bloke that took Wolves down?

Robbie Williams does a job every year in those charity games.

ANYONE BETTER THAN CLUELESS CHRIS :@ :@ :@

I recall a time, before he went "down the road", when some were calling for Paul Jewell to be our saviour.

I think he''s available now too...

[quote user="city4eva"]they should have done and yes I said that at the end of last season, its not a knee jerk reaction to whats happening now, it was after watching awhole season of dire football[/quote]

You think a mid-table finish is possible playing ''dire football'' in the Premier League. What a strange outlook.

"city4eva""Herman "But the club were highly unlikely to sack a manager that had just finished in the highest position for decades. One day it might sink in.

they should have done and yes I said that at the end of last season, its not a knee jerk reaction to whats happening now, it was after watching awhole season of dire football

Such a short term mentality. He deserved his chance to complete his squad building and see where he could take the club. Admittedly it''s not working as well as I''d hoped, but he achieved what he was paid for last season.