Sign in to follow this  
Buh

Who got that "funny feeling"

Watching Hoolahan in the first half? A few clever little flicks and the chill went down the spine. I''ve been critical of him as I think he''s been wasteful and off his game but I thought he was awesome.

With all the mud getting slung about it was just great to have a club legend out there giving it his all. I''d play him Wednesday, I have no idea how but I think he needs a run in the team, he''s desperate to help the club.

A terrific example of the expression ''club legend'' being far too frequently used. Not disputing Hoolahan is a good player but a Norwich City legend...really ???? Those of us that have seen literally thousands of players wear the shirt over the years would I am sorry to say struggle to put Hoolahan in the top forty. Just putting a bit of perspective on it that''s all.

must just depend on your interpretation. For me he''s been at Norwich at the lowest point i''ve seen and was a massive part of lifting us to where we are today.

A legend in my eyes.

Sorry but given that Hoolahan has been at the club through arguably the biggest change in it''s history I''d say he qualifies as a legend.

Legend transposes playing ability, I think the way you conduct yourself comes into it as well. I like the way Wes conducts himself and his contribution to the club has been fantastic. Plus he''s scored against Ipswich.

There was a moment in the first half when he combined with Russell Martin on the right wing with a classy backheel and I think Martin was able to deliver a good cross and I literally gave it a fistpump. It just felt good to see two players that have contributed so much combining well. We need those big characters.

Wes and leroy seem to have an understanding too....they can give very short sharp passes, in limited space ,in front of each other.. twas great to see the wee man on form again.

Crikey Buh. Its a funny old world but that is an excellent post. Obviously some of the other stuff you have been posting has been for a larf :-) … and I should talk!!

I understand Tilly''s point of view and I know that Hools would be world class if he could use both feet but he is a great character and always give his all.

At the time I didn''t appreciate that pass to Hooper, first time pass and great vision.

It just got me thinking that Hoolahan is a true vet and a one of a kind and as he potentially enters the end of his career it really struck me how much I will miss him. Definitely carried a bit of Holty spirit on Saturday, a spirit I think one day Hooperman will lead for us This isn''t an Andrew Crofts or a Henri Lansbury we are talking about, it genuinely a player I don''t want to see fade away, he means more than that.

Like Rocky Balboa, I''d like to think there is a few more fights left in him.

Wes to his credit played to his strengths on Saturday.   When faced with perhaps a match defining chance he did what he does best - he passed the ball rather than attempt a risky finish - and we won the match as a result, our main striker gets a boost by scoring too.   I''ve been a big critic of him, but at his best he is still an influence. A good hour''s work.

Sometimes as a club you need a player to hang your hat on. A Lampard or a Gerrard or a Scholes. Someone that you see on the team sheet or see come on and you say "yes!"

Felt so good to hear the wes chant again.#

He must give more though, we need a full game.

Can''t blame Wes for not being fully match fit when he has hardly featured so far this season.

His passing was intelligent as always, he wasn''t losing the ball so much and I was slightly shocked to see him lose the ball one moment, get in there and win it back again.

Can''t think of a time he has impressed me so much.

Whether he''s a club legend, well he came with the club from League one and is still a standout performer third season in the Premier League. If that doesn''t constitute a club legend then I''m not sure anything does.

Think he fluctuated in and out of the game, giving the ball away a lot in the first half. However, when the chance came he had the composure to roll it into Hooper with total calmness - and that alone provided all three points and a worthy inclusion on the team sheet.

Will he start next game?

Why would you change a winning side is all I''d say

My concern for starting the next game with the same team is without genuine width we''d get exposed down the flank Hoolahan was supposed to be on.

I don''t want to change it though. Don''t know what I''d do currently.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

A terrific example of the expression ''club legend'' being far too frequently used. Not disputing Hoolahan is a good player but a Norwich City legend...really ???? Those of us that have seen literally thousands of players wear the shirt over the years would I am sorry to say struggle to put Hoolahan in the top forty. Just putting a bit of perspective on it that''s all.

[/quote]He was an integral part of the club achieving back-to-back promotions and two mid-table Premier League finishes.  He was as much a part of that as Paul Lambert and Grant Holt and nobody would dispute that they are club legends surely.  Wes Hoolahan belongs 100% in that category, he was - and I believe still can be, given a decent chance - massively influential on the pitch for us.

[quote user="Buh"]My concern for starting the next game with the same team is without genuine width we''d get exposed down the flank Hoolahan was supposed to be on. I don''t want to change it though. Don''t know what I''d do currently.[/quote]

If you don''t know how to manage Norwich City you really are not fit to post on here. [:P]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]
He was an integral part of the club achieving back-to-back promotions and two mid-table Premier League finishes.  He was as much a part of that as Paul Lambert and Grant Holt and nobody would dispute that they are club legends surely.  Wes Hoolahan belongs 100% in that category, he was - and I believe still can be, given a decent chance - massively influential on the pitch for us.
[/quote]

On that basis the 12 players who won promotion to the old Division One for the first time ever in our history back in 1972 must be classified as legends. Add to that the players that secured our only ever Wembley final win in 1985.How about the history makers of 1959 ? Not forgetting the players from our European win in Munich.

As I said Graham legend is a word far too easily used and is open to interpretation mostly based on the age and experiences of the fan using the word.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]
He was an integral part of the club achieving back-to-back promotions and two mid-table Premier League finishes.  He was as much a part of that as Paul Lambert and Grant Holt and nobody would dispute that they are club legends surely.  Wes Hoolahan belongs 100% in that category, he was - and I believe still can be, given a decent chance - massively influential on the pitch for us.
[/quote]

On that basis the 12 players who won promotion to the old Division One for the first time ever in our history back in 1972 must be classified as legends. Add to that the players that secured our only ever Wembley final win in 1985.How about the history makers of 1959 ? Not forgetting the players from our European win in Munich.

As I said Graham legend is a word far too easily used and is open to interpretation mostly based on the age and experiences of the fan using the word.

[/quote]

You might as well just come out and say everything old is brilliant and everything new is rubbish.

If Holt qualifies as a legend then Hoolahan has to as well.

Doesn''t matter what standard the team were, it is all relative. You can''t just have a decade without a couple of heroes.... there are standout players from every era.

Hoolahan and Holt were the poster boys of a generation.

Just have to hope that some of our current new wave can step up to be the legends of this new era. Hopefully Fer and one of our two number 9''s.

Is right that it certainly depends on the fans age and their experiences supporting the club at certain points that will sway their feeling on a players legendary status.

So let me say, I don''t care what some people say regardless of how long they''ve been attending games, Wes is a legend in my eyes. He''s a player I''m always excited to see on the team sheet even when on a bad run performance wise. I feel that bit more disappointed if he has a bad game, that bit more joyous when he plays well.

He''s a spark in the team and has contributed so much to the City cause and has achieved at everything asked of him. He will play anywhere to get a game and help the team (remember Lambert trying him in CM in a 4-4-2?) and wears his heart on his sleeve at all times.

Legend is in the eye of the beholder and for many, Hoolahan will outlive the memory of many other greats, past and present. Other than having Eadie on the back of one of the first shirts I owned, Hoolahan a couple of years ago is the only other.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]He was an integral part of the club achieving back-to-back promotions and two mid-table Premier League finishes.  He was as much a part of that as Paul Lambert and Grant Holt and nobody would dispute that they are club legends surely.  Wes Hoolahan belongs 100% in that category, he was - and I believe still can be, given a decent chance - massively influential on the pitch for us.[/quote]

[/quote]Would you class Peters as a club legend? What about Goss? Both of those players have similar appearance and goal records for the club and have been about for some of the most successful times in the clubs history. Certain players of certain generations of Norwich teams deserve the title of club legend, not just for what they achieve on the pitch, but also for their attitude and commitment to the club. There are players from the ''59,''72, ''85 and ''93 teams that definitely deserve to be in that category, but to say player''s like Paul Kinnard deserve the label of club legend is just foolish talk. In the dark days of relegation to League 1, when many of the better (I use the word loosely) players at the club (Clingan, Marshall, Crofts et al) abandoned ship at the first available opportunity, Wes stuck around and was an integral part of us winning 2 successive promotions. In modern football there are very few players that will display the loyalty that players of bygone years, like Allcock and Goss for example, in fact the mantra of footballers today is "it''s a short career so I have to do what''s best for me". With that in mind, and I agree legend is a word thrown about all too often, but Wes is staking a claim for that title. When I think back over the 30 odd years that I have been supporting the club, Wes not only makes it into my top 40, but is knocking on the door of the top 10 players I have seen in the yellow and green, not just because of his ability, but loyalty goes along way, and like someone mentioned earlier in this thread he''s scored against Ipswich :).

Not wanting to get into the legend debate, dare I say that I thought Hoolahan simply "did well" on Saturday and I think should be fitter, just saying. 

A terrific example of the expression ''club legend'' being far too frequently used

-------------------------------

that was one of my thoughts too.

Hoolahan is, without a doubt, an excellent player. a great club servant and all-round good guy. however legend is thrown around too much and at this point it doesn''t even feel like it means a lot anymore.

I am in the legend camp.

A small list of genuine club legends since 2000.

Roberts.

Huckerby

Holt

Hoolahan

Lambert.

I don''t go around saying everyone is a legend but I think recent (player)legends are

Adam Drury

Darren Huckerby

Russell Martin (the controversial one, but I think he is. Brilliant leader and old head on a young body. Also fights a battle with a chronic illness and just gets on with it no hassle at all)

Wes Hoolahan

Grant Holt

Possibly Ruddy

and that''s it. Don''t think that''s controversial particularly.

I don''t think of Wes as a legend but I certainly regard him as an exciting player who I''m pleased to see on the team-sheet. On the other hand, and notwithstanding their brief periods at the football club, I would regard both Lambert and Holt as legends.

We always look better with Wes in the team. To this day he still remains the only player we have who can do what he does. We have noone else at the club quite like him. For all his flaws he provides something noone in the team does. Wes is a square peg in a round hole and whilst we have him there will always be ''The Hoolahan connundrum''. Putting him in the team is never a perfect solution, but what you get from him is well worth the dilemma. For those of you who might be familiar with the ''Belbin'' approach to teamwork, Wes is definitely that rare and unique member of the team - the ''Plant''.

The last time I felt a ''tingle'' it was caused by a women and not a ruddy footballer![;)]