Sign in to follow this  
pete

Turner injured Saturday

According to CH nothing to do with Ryan Bennett''s good form. Why was he on bench then?

http://www.clubcall.com/norwich-city/stopper-knock-key-to-absence---hughton-1673168.html?

Praise where its due not excuse please Chris.

Well, despite what people want to believe, you''d struggle to find a game this season where Bennett has been superior to Turner or Bassong. He''s doing alright but no more than that. Turner and Bassong will remain the two first choices when push comes to shove.

But, as we well know, we''ve got injury problems in the squad and are not that well stocked at centreback. Plenty of fixtures over the Christmas period and with Turner carrying a slight knock and having a few yellow cards to his name it''s surely just sensible to keep all three recognised centrebacks available and on their toes.

[quote user="GJP"]

Well, despite what people want to believe, you''d struggle to find a game this season where Bennett has been superior to Turner or Bassong. He''s doing alright but no more than that. Turner and Bassong will remain the two first choices when push comes to shove.

But, as we well know, we''ve got injury problems in the squad and are not that well stocked at centreback. Plenty of fixtures over the Christmas period and with Turner carrying a slight knock and having a few yellow cards to his name it''s surely just sensible to keep all three recognised centrebacks available and on their toes.

[/quote]

You really should try attending a game !! Bennet was a world ahead of Bassong on Saturday against palace ... you could at least make an effort before posting complete rubbish ...... over and over ..

Bennett has been good, but I''d still rather Turner play at the moment, if fit. And I don''t think his was a world ahead of Bassong on Saturday.

It''s good to know that he is dependable though.

I do attend the games.

And that''s why I know Bassong was superior.

Watch the game again. Have a look at how many times Bassong stamped out Palace attacks in comparison to Bennett.

An interesting twist to all of this is that whilst we have seen players given contract extensions who already had 18months left to tun on them, Turner is in the last season of his contract which means come January he can talk to interested parties.

Obviously that is now less than a month away. So could part of him being dropped be in regards to contract talks, distractions perhaps?

Turner is still a better defender than Ryan Bennett. But hopefully Bennett will end up a better defender than Turner. Experience counts for a lot in the PL. Look how raw Bennett was the season before last. He''s learning and improving all the time.

Turner was on the bench wasn''t he? Or did I imagine him warming up second half? It''s possible - I had had quite a few beers!

Bennett is our best CB, I''ve said it for ages and will keep saying it.

However, It''s only my opinion, but one I will stand by

[quote user="SYG"]Bennett is our best CB, I''ve said it for ages and will keep saying it.

However, It''s only my opinion, but one I will stand by[/quote]
He has age on his side and thus the potential to be a top CB, but he''s some distance from Bassong in terms of quality and equally some distance away from Turner in terms of consistency.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="SYG"]Bennett is our best CB, I''ve said it for ages and will keep saying it.

However, It''s only my opinion, but one I will stand by[/quote]
He has age on his side and thus the potential to be a top CB, but he''s some distance from Bassong in terms of quality and equally some distance away from Turner in terms of consistency.
[/quote]

While I agree Bassong is the better player I don''t think it''s by the country mile that some people are suggesting maybe if he waddled around like he''s injured for 80 percent of the games would think more of him. I also think the consistency thing is harsh a player has to play a run of games to look that. He had some brilliant games at the end of last season against benteke and Lakaku and for me he''s carried that into this season.

Until Bennett cuts out giving the ball away too easily then he should be behind both Bassong and Turner. Whilst Turner isn''t a ''ball playing centre back'' he knows it and will only opt for short, easier passes unless forced into the longer ball - Bennett seems to think he is better at passing than he really is, against Stoke, and less so Palace, he gave the ball away by either hitting a stupid 40 yard ball straight to the opposition, or worse he runs up to the half way line and then gives the ball away when closed down.

Bennett might develop into a better player than both Bassong and Turner, but at the moment he is behind both of them and unfortunately Norwich aren''t in the position to blood young, naive centre backs right now.

A few stats from Saturday''s match.

Bassong

Tackles 1/1, Blocks 2, Clearances 10/10, Headed Clearances 5/5, Ariel Duals 5/8, Passing 41/50 82%

Bennett

Tackles 0, Blocks 0, Clearances 6/6, Headed Clearances 2/2, Ariel Duals 3/7, Passing 29/34 85%

Interesting stats.

And yet Barclay 48/49 said I was posting rubbish.

From the stats, it appears both had a good game on Saturday. Maybe we slightly missed Turner''s ariel prowess but I quite like the Bassong Bennett partnership. Good blend of youth and experience. If we give him enough playing time, Bennett is a future England defender.