Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We had to make changes - with our squad that is not as easy as it is for some other clubs

Arrggh. I wish he''d stop saying stuff like this.

Yes, ok, in bald terms, it''s a statement of fact. But it''s all part of the psychology and it only perpetuates little Norwich syndrome and the idea that we can''t compete. Not only would this niggle me if i was McNally, but actually, if we accept that ok, we can''t compete with the top 7,  there''s no reason why we shouldn''t be competing with the rest of the league in terms of the quality and depth of our squad. So you might just as easily say, "We had to make changes, but that''s ok because with the squad we have this is easier than it is at other clubs."

And, actually, despite a lengthy injury list of some good players, look at the changes. Redmond for Snodgrass. Hoolahan for Pilkington. Bassong for Turner. I don''t see any of those changes as a reduction in quality. And it has resulted in having Howson, Hoolahan, Fer, Elmander, Hooper all on the pitch together and linking up well together and giving us some genuine attacking potential. Ok they didn''t set the world alight v Palace but i liked what i saw and i''d like to see them all linking up again.

AMBITION please Chris, and a recognition that there''s no reason we should not be standing toe to toe with the majority of clubs in this league.

The reality is that we are standing toe to toe with the clubs we should be. I''m beginning to think there''s an alternative premier league in your head buddy.

Don''t you see the point though - that he could just easily, in fact with greater justification, say the opposite of what he did say. That is, "we have injuries and we had to make changes but we''ve got a great squad that can cope with them.

They are both true, but one is very positive and gives confidence to the squad, shows the players who haven''t been playing that they are as good as those that have.

The other is negative, and suggests that the club/squad can''t cope very well with injuries.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Don''t you see the point though - that he could just easily, in fact with greater justification, say the opposite of what he did say. That is, "we have injuries and we had to make changes but we''ve got a great squad that can cope with them.

They are both true, but one is very positive and gives confidence to the squad, shows the players who haven''t been playing that they are as good as those that have.

The other is negative, and suggests that the club/squad can''t cope very well with injuries.

[/quote]

But, in reality, we have''nt got a great squad, that''s just the point.The seventeen players on the pitch and on the bench Saturday were all that were available to us and you would hardly call that a great squad.Some fans have a misguided perception that having spent £20m + we should now be resident in the top half of the table and playing like Barca. That is totally unrealistic and, while we would all like it to be true, building a good team is a slow process and we still have a very average set of players in the main.

I guess  it depends what question he was asked. When asked about the injury list at the AGM Hughton was very up-beat about how it would give opportunities to other members of the squad.

[quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

Part of a managers job is to make it look like you''ve made the best out of a bad situation.

If he''d said ''our changes resulted in no net loss of quality, yet we still struggled against the bottom side'' it''s bad psychology.

I think he nails his press communication. In fact he''s a master of talking without being contraversial, negative, or quoteable. I''d rather have him talk for the club than a clown like Holloway.

Who are the top 7? At the moment Southampton are 7th and we beat them earlier this season. Everton are 5th and we drew with them this season.

We competed at Chelsea for 80+ minutes which took a desperate and rather frantic final ten minutes from Chelsea to get a win. In a game that we had acquitted ourselves well in and could have even taken the lead.

Against Arsenal we were 2-1 at the 83rd minute, and again - a late flourish sealed the deal. There will and have been teams which don''t put that much of a dent into the Arsenal performance.

What we lack is consistency more than anything else. Consistency in one game and from one game to another.

I can live with the Southampton and Everton quotes but stop clutching at straws with the others.

I mean we held man city to a draw for the first 60 seconds of the match.

Chelsea and Arsenal were playing with us, they could have stepped up a gear as and when they wished these performances count for very little especially when you take into account that we only looked good passing the ball around in front of them.

We have a really decent squad and the current injuries should not make us any less effective.

We still need our manager to have some belief in the players and allow them to actually get forward into the box.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I can live with the Southampton and Everton quotes but stop clutching at straws with the others.

I mean we held man city to a draw for the first 60 seconds of the match.

Chelsea and Arsenal were playing with us
, they could have stepped up a gear as and when they wished these performances count for very little especially when you take into account that we only looked good passing the ball around in front of them.

We have a really decent squad and the current injuries should not make us any less effective.

We still need our manager to have some belief in the players and allow them to actually get forward into the box.[/quote]Completely disagree with that, and I think it''s very unfair on the team for you to say that.  Especially the Chelsea match, if anything, before Chelsea scored from the woeful Pilkington corner, the only team that was going to score a second was us.

Well I guess that''s what these message boards are for opinions.

What gear Chelsea or Arsenal were in is open to conjecture the likelihood of Norwich scoring from open play (in my opinion) isn''t

I was at both games and thought we put up a good showing but never thought we would score a goal

And why on earth is it unfair on the team ? I think they gave 100% just never looked like scoring a goal, partly due to the opposition and partly due to the formation.

We could have played for 3 hours against Cardiff and never scored.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]And why on earth is it unfair on the team ? I think they gave 100% just never looked like scoring a goal, partly due to the opposition and partly due to the formation.

We could have played for 3 hours against Cardiff and never scored.[/quote]Don''t disagree with the Cardiff point, but as for the Chelsea game we were continuing to attack and looking good for a goal IMO.  Redmond had one shot turned away by Cech and was looking like causing the back line real problems especially as Mourinho had removed half of his defence.  We got hit with a sucker punch unfortunately.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Well I guess that''s what these message boards are for opinions. What gear Chelsea or Arsenal were in is open to conjecture the likelihood of Norwich scoring from open play (in my opinion) isn''t I was at both games and thought we put up a good showing but never thought we would score a goal[/quote]

So when we scored in both of those games it must have come as a bit of a shock to you ?

Actually both City goals were entirely predictable given the run of play at the time.  I''m afraid I don''t believe you actually went to either or indeed ever go to see us except as a supporter of the team you actually follow - which I''m guessing has been a few years ago now and wasn''t a happy experience the last couple of times...

Well if Chelsea were playing with us, it certainly was from Mourinhos instruction. He was clearly frustrated and worried about the way the game was going at 1-1. The relief and celebration when they scored said it all. A goal we shouldnt have conceded and he knew he''d got lucky.There are few games where i have been disappointed with the intent and effort of the team (though when poor, its been embarrassing) and these games (Stoke, Chelsea, Arsenal and Cardiff) we started to see a gel in the team and a consistent 4-3-3 formation. Since then weve had changes to shape and personnel and this has resulted in 2 wins and 2 losses....Im content with that.The squad are adapting and we kept out a Pulis side that are already playing his ''style'' of football. Unlike most people (particularly the ''fans'' or rather, embarrassment of those on canary call) im optimistic going forward. Our away form is an issue and must improve but no-one can deny the team are not hiding from the responsibility no matter what issues are thrown at them.

Hughton must be cursing his luck, after the West spam match both players and management were talking about it being turnaround and looking to emulate last years unbeaten run, confidence was clearly high, then we were hit with injury after injury.