Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

My two-penneth on Hoolahan

Wes gives us something no one else in the team can - quick, clever, incisive passing. He''s not got it all of course, and his weaknesses are the ease with which he''s tackled and dispossessed.

But I''d rather have a Wes in the team, playing high up the pitch, threading balls through and sometimes losing it, than what we''ve had recently - which is a kind of panic when we get to the penalty box, with no decent final ball.

People argue that putting Wes in the team is a luxury, that we have to fit him in, and set out the team around him. Like he''s a passenger.

I would argue the same is true for a player at the other end of the spectrum, like Bradley Johnson.

BJ, like Wes, has not got it all. He can''t pass. However, unlike Wes he does not provide a special, unique skill like Wes does. He just gets stuck in a bit when tackling, but to me he''s not effective because of the amount he gives the ball away.

I would argue that we''re always better off *having* the ball more, by playing players like Howson, Fer & Wes. OK we may not get it back so quickly, but if we''re not giving it away as much, that kind of balances it out doesn''t it? But with the bonus of when we do have the ball, we have players who are able to use it more effectively.

Thoughts?

Agreed, and i don''t like this constant ''damage limitation'' team we play away from home with Johnson in there. Yes we get stuck in etc. but it''s like we''re sitting ducks waiting for the opposition to score.

Players like Hoolahan could put a bit of fear into these teams and make them think twice about pushing so many men forward. Attack in this case really is the best form of defence.

My thoughts exactly.

And it''s no good sticking Johnson in there and thinking that shores it up for us - defending properly and winning the ball back is a joint responsibility for the whole team on the pitch - they have to all work together and press the opposition to get it back. 2 or 3 players to close down 1 opposition players.

When we''re in the ascendancy in a game and adrenalin is flowing, you can see we DO do this high up the pitch, with midfielders and forwards working together to get a foot in and pressure the opposition player into conceding possession.

Just wish we had the inclination or fitness to start a game this way every time.

One of the things I also think Wes is good at, is being a pain in the posterior when he does lose the ball. Due to his low centre of gravity and quick feet, he tries to kick and kick at the player which doesn''t always result in him getting the ball back, but it sometimes forces the player to run into another midfielder as they''re focusing on Wes "biting their ankles".

And a right foot ....

But then, I''ve seen him score a goal with it! So it''s not the completely useless article it appears to be.

Tell you what, that first half could be the start of something great. He didn''t keep pirouetting, but often laid the ball off quickly with clever touches. He''s always had that, but the pirouetting tended to dominate. If he can alter the dribble/flick balance he could be unstoppable!

Wes is a great player on his day and while we were lower leagues he was outstanding.

The problem for me is that his day is 1 in 5 games at Premiership level, like this weekend the first 45 he was as good as any city player, but second half faded, lost the ball and went out of the game very quick, should have been subbed a lot sooner. I don''t remember talking about Wes at this level saying how consistant he is, he''s either running the game or far too often, running around in circles getting dispossed and just drifts along.

That being said he is the only player we have who can unlock the diffence with a killer pass.

Againt I think we should have moved pass relying on Wes, but it''s not to be as yet, we need him to start more games, but also he needs to perform.

I hear you Indy, he has been known to drift out of games before. But usually it''s not just him. But when Wes is playing well, the team usually does well too.

At the mo I think his fitness is low due to lack of match practice, so we know what the answer to that is.

I was thinking about this the other day. We had that sweet spot in mid field with the Tettey/Fer/Howson triangle, with Tettey hanging back in the more defensive position supporting the other two. I wonder whether Fer/Howson/Hoolahan couldn''t offer something there, with Fer taking the more defensive position of the three, being the best all-rounder.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]I was thinking about this the other day. We had that sweet spot in mid field with the Tettey/Fer/Howson triangle, with Tettey hanging back in the more defensive position supporting the other two. I wonder whether Fer/Howson/Hoolahan couldn''t offer something there, with Fer taking the more defensive position of the three, being the best all-rounder.[/quote]

I disagree. I think the fer discussion has been settled and he''s box to box. Losing him going forward is massive for us and he has to play more forward. Despite hoolahans good game I''d still rather have Howson fer tettey, offers far more stability yet still class going forward. Still can''t forget leroys pass against Watford in the cup!!

I agree with LYB. Whilst Tettey''s out, try Fer back there, with Howson and Hoolahan driving forwards and passing it about (respectively!).

That midfield trio formation seemed to work well. So rather Fer there than Johnson any day.

I was thinking what about Ryan Bennett there in the DM holding role too? He''s a good passer with good technique. I think he could be a very good DM.