Sign in to follow this  
PeekJNR

Comparisons To Last Year - Not To Shabby!!

I don''t know if this has been mentioned before but having a look up until now against direct comparisons from Last Year''s results (LY) we are in fact one point better off, this is of course swapping the promoted clubs for the clubs relegated from last season. I have listed beneath to show how I have worked it out. With a few slight predictions futher down!!

Everton Home - 2-2 D - Last Year 2-1W

Hull (Replacing them with Wigan) Away - 1-0 L - LY - 1-0 L 

Southampton Home - 1-0 W - LY 0-0D

Spurs Away - 2-0L - LY - 1-1D

Villa Home - 1-0L LY- 2-1L

Stoke Away - 1-0 W - LY - 1-0L

Chelsea Home 3-1 L - LY - 1-0L

Arsenal Away - 4-1L - LY - 3-1L

Cardiff Home (Replacing QPR) - 0-0D - LY - 1-1D

Man City Away - 7-0L - LY 3-2W

Wet Spam Home - 3-1W - LY- 0-0D

Newcastle Away - 2-1L - LY - 1-0

Crystal Palarse Home (Replacing Reading) - 1-0W -  LY 2-1W

Now as we got some fantastic results at Home against the likes of the Big 6, it seems unlikely (but still within realms of possibilty) that this is to be repeated, thus making the ''Easier'' Home (never under estimating opposition) games more essential for us to Win and pick up points anywhere we can on our travels.

Being a commited away season ticket holder I know the pain of this unadventerous football (wouldnt say negative) we are playing, especially away from home! But i will remain behind Hughton until his tenure is over despite not being his biggest fan. Hopefully things will start to gel and we will kick on in terms of performances at home and away. These few weeks over the Xmas period could be key!!

Obviously looking at the next few games starting with Liverpool through to Everton - On direct comparison we picked up 8 points from these games!

Liverpool Away 5-0L  - Wouldnt say I was confident! 3-1L

West Brom Away - 2-1L - Think depending on how we play will either be a Win (Impossible it may be!) or a draw  Heart 2-1W Head 1-1D

Swansea Home - 2-2D - I think we will win this one 2-1W

Sunderland Away -1-1D Again depending on if we turn up a Winable game!! 1-0W

Fulham Home - 0-0D Possible deemed as the ''Easiest'' game out of the lot, but a new change of manager may switch this. 2-1W

Man Utd Home - 1-0W - Gunna say 2-0L

Palarse Away (Reading) - 0-0D - Winnable but head says 2-2D

Everton Away - 1-1D - Everton looking good but will Martinez have his 2nd half of the season wobble like he used to have with Wigan? 1-0L

A very optimistic Prediction i know, with us gaining 11 or 13 points depending on West Brom game (cant make my mind up)!

Alot of this I know is pointing out the obvious but thought Id have my say as its been on my mind for last few games!

Direct comparisons are difficult to make as no two seasons are the same.   Where I hope we will improve on is a few more wins against similar opposition and not having to rely on any surprise results, although any points taken against top clubs are always welcome.   Hughton likes a consistent approach to his football based on well organised defence - but with potency in attack.  So lots of hopefully clean sheets with some improvement in front of goal to get us a few wins.   It was what he tried last season - and to be fair it worked - we were difficult to beat - and with improved attack that we should have this season once it all settles down, hopefully the season will develop well from here. 

Last season at the point City were 6 games into the unbeaten run with 15 points compared to 14 now. The next game was a draw at Southampton and then 3 wins in a row against Sunderland, Swansea and Wigan. Unfortunately that was followed by 4 straight losses to end up on 29 points after 21 games. Like most, I don''t expect any points tomorrow, but WBA(a), Swansea(h), Sunderland(a), Fulham(h), ManUtd(h), and Palace(a) could produce a decent return of points and perhaps some momentum going into the new year. The strength of the squad will be a key until the injured players like RvW and Snodgrass start to come back. That run could be make or break for both CH and City.

Its a tough league where we are on track to get c41-42 points probably more despite currently have 4 clear first team starters out in Tettey, Snodgrass, Pilks & RvW.     That is a success where even though we have spent more than ever this summer we are still playing catch up compared to most clubs.

Our aim will always be to remain in the league,  hoping for progress,  but without serious investment or a long period in the league we will not be pushing for cracking the top 7 teams.   

Tomorrow will be tough but Liverpool are in a different league to us, we can get something from it,  but probably wont  the baggies on sat is a far more important game.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Last season at the point City were 6 games into the unbeaten run with 15 points compared to 14 now. The next game was a draw at Southampton and then 3 wins in a row against Sunderland, Swansea and Wigan. Unfortunately that was followed by 4 straight losses to end up on 29 points after 21 games. Like most, I don''t expect any points tomorrow, but WBA(a), Swansea(h), Sunderland(a), Fulham(h), ManUtd(h), and Palace(a) could produce a decent return of points and perhaps some momentum going into the new year. The strength of the squad will be a key until the injured players like RvW and Snodgrass start to come back. That run could be make or break for both CH and City.[/quote]

Interesting - I was thinking we must be behind last year as we were well into our unbeaten run by this point.  But last season we started poorly - this year, we''ve had a mix of wins/losses/draws from the start of the season.

So as you say at 14 games last year we had 16 points.  Assuming we lose tomorrow, we''d then be on 14 points after 14 games.  Not so bad.

Then last year we had 3 wins followed by 4 defeats which left us with well placed 25 points after 21 games.  To match that, from our next 7 games after tomorrow we''d need 11 points.  Those 7 games include Man U at home and Everton away, but TBH all 7 are games we should be thinking we can win, and 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats is entirely achievable.