Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

How does a player merit 'Legend' status?

Following a discussion that has cropped up on another thread I would (genuinely) like to know what people think a player has to do to merit legend status at the club. For example can we only include players that have won the Barry Butler Trophy? Are years of service or appearances for the club of importance. If so how many years or times must a player play for City to be granted status of legend? Would you include managers? If so do the have to have won a trophy to be considered? What about owners and chairmen? There is a list of 120 people in the ''Hall of Fame'', would they all be considered legends?

This subject has certainly cropped up on here before, and is even harder to answer than defining a "big club".

I dont think there was any particular criteria that players met to get added to the "Hall of Fame", did the fans vote, I really cant remember, perhaps somebody can confirm this though?

If you look up the definition in Collins then you get:

"a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits"

What I do know is that in terms of Norwich City legends, then these should be the very best players who have achieved the most during their time with the club, and for me, as long as that list includes Martin Peters, Duncan Forbes, David Stringer, Kevin Keelan, Darren Huckerby, Iwan Roberts and Grant Holt then I am happy. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

This subject has certainly cropped up on here before, and is even harder to answer than defining a "big club".

I dont think there was any particular criteria that players met to get added to the "Hall of Fame", did the fans vote, I really cant remember, perhaps somebody can confirm this though?

"a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits"

What I do know is that in terms of Norwich City legends, then these should be the very best players who have achieved the most during their time with the club, and for me, as long as that list includes Martin Peters, Duncan Forbes, David Stringer, Kevin Keelan, Darren Huckerby, Iwan Roberts and Grant Holt then I am happy. 

[/quote]

Pretty much this. I think as well as the very best players you will get fan favored legends, these are the players who may not be great all the time but who would score a brace / hat-trick againt the binners like Holt or score against Bayern Munich like Goss and Bowen for example and for that would forever earn fan legend status.

Some of it is longevity, some of it is being an integral part of a successful period in the clubs history. I would also say being part of a single particular moment is also worthy of making you a legned. I cant think of any Norwich examples off the top of my head, but to use a non-Norwich example, Im sure goalkeeper Jimmy Glass is a legend for scoring the goal that kept his team in the football league on the last day of the season, despite only being there on loan, namely because he did something special and will always be rememebered for it.

[quote user="Brightside"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]

[/quote]

Pretty much this. I think as well as the very best players you will get fan favored legends, these are the players who may not be great all the time but who would score a brace / hat-trick againt the binners like Holt or score against Bayern Munich like Goss and Bowen for example and for that would forever earn fan legend status.

[/quote]Bit harsh on Bowen this - he was consistently one of the bet left backs in the top fight for about a 5 year period, could play at right full back or left side midfield as well, great at set pieces, and is our miost capped player. He is remembered (by me at least) for much more than just one goal against Bayern. Same with gossy, was here for over 10 seasons, for a long time not first choice, didn''t moan or whine or demand a move away, always gave 100% when he got a chance in the team and eventually got his rewards during the 1193-94 season. Both definately deserve their legend status and it''s not just based one one or two goals!!

I think he means it''s not just about ability, more them significant moments.

What about Simeon Jackson, for that 2 months at the end of the promotion season where he turned into Thierry Henry culminating in the winner against Pompey to send us up?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think he means it''s not just about ability, more them significant moments.

What about Simeon Jackson, for that 2 months at the end of the promotion season where he turned into Thierry Henry culminating in the winner against Pompey to send us up?[/quote]I''d find it hard to give Simeon legend status, yes his goal were the ones that made it certain mathematically that we got promoted, but either side of that 2 month spell he didn''t offer much other than effort (which does go along way in my book). Leon McKenzie waould probably be a better choice for impact and significant moments, scored 2 against the binners on his debut, got 9 in 18 and was the clubs joint top scorer in the Premier League, albeit in a relegation ending season

What about the term "Cult-Hero"? I think a lot of players fall into this category rather than "legend". Simeon Jackson for me would be a Cult Hero - he never really did it full time, but is responsible for some really big moments in our journey up the leagues.

I would say Wes is as big a legend as Holt, Goss, Sutton etc. When you look at what a player has contributed in a period of success, and how important that success has been for the club - I would say that Wes was a linchpin for us on the way from League 1 to the Premiership. So that''s from bankruptcy to debt-free and profitable (almost rich in Norwich City terms!). I''d say that''s a bigger result for the club as a whole than beating Bayern. Which was an amazing one-off, but didn''t really achieve much in physical terms.

I agree re the cult hero thing, but I''d have Wes in that rather than legend quite yet.

Other candidates for cult hero for me would be Greg Downes, Marc Libbra, John Deehan, Craig Bellamy, Darren Eadie, Steen Nedergaard, Denis van Wyk, Keith Bertschin, Gary "two lungs" Holt, Ross Jack who had one small purple patch, even good old Darryl Sutch who we laughed at but was a great club servant. I think there''s a quirkiness about a cult hero.

Others such as Bryan Gunn, Dave Watson, Chris Woods, Ian Culverhouse may not be either- although I think two of those plus Ian Crook could merit genuine legend status. Where would someone like Steve Bruce stand? I remember his goal getting us to the Milk Cup Final, a magic moment.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I agree re the cult hero thing, but I''d have Wes in that rather than legend quite yet. Other candidates for cult hero for me would be Greg Downes, Marc Libbra, John Deehan, Craig Bellamy, Darren Eadie, Steen Nedergaard, Denis van Wyk, Keith Bertschin, Gary "two lungs" Holt, Ross Jack who had one small purple patch, even good old Darryl Sutch who we laughed at but was a great club servant. I think there''s a quirkiness about a cult hero. Others such as Bryan Gunn, Dave Watson, Chris Woods, Ian Culverhouse may not be either- although I think two of those plus Ian Crook could merit genuine legend status. Where would someone like Steve Bruce stand? I remember his goal getting us to the Milk Cup Final, a magic moment.[/quote]

Daryl Sutch may have got old but he was never good..

Bryan Gunn definitely a club legend for me. Ian Crook, possibly. He never got the headlines but was always a class act.

Good old Daryl Sutch. Definite cult-hero! I''ll never forget the day when I walked into work at the BMW garage I worked at when I was about 22 to find Sutchy in a suit getting ready to sell BMWs! Poor bastard must''ve been on a shit contract all that time! Either that or he made some bad financial decisions! He played in every position for us too didn''t he?

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"][quote user="Brightside"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Bit harsh on Bowen this - he was consistently one of the bet left backs in the top fight for about a 5 year period, could play at right full back or left side midfield as well, great at set pieces, and is our miost capped player. He is remembered (by me at least) for much more than just one goal against Bayern. Same with gossy, was here for over 10 seasons, for a long time not first choice, didn''t moan or whine or demand a move away, always gave 100% when he got a chance in the team and eventually got his rewards during the 1193-94 season. Both definately deserve their legend status and it''s not just based one one or two goals!![/quote]Even I can''t remember things from 820 yrs ago.[:)]

To be a legend IMO the player has got to give something to the club above & beyond the call of duty.  So for example Chris Sutton or Craig Bellamy or Dean Ashton, despite being very good players for us in their time, would never qualify as legends for me.

In recent years it would be Holt and Hoolahan.  Going back Hucks defines "legend" and Iwan too.  From our European adventure it would have to be Goss and Crook for me, maybe one or two others from that epic period.

I reckon having a 79 page thread without even playing for us guarantees that Fabio Quagliarella is a legend.