Sign in to follow this  
Indy

January Signings

We are fast approaching silly season with inflated prices, but in reality for our budget who can we hope for and who would you like to see.

The first for me is a little out there, but a loan for either Lescott or Richards as Kompany is now fit again. We need experienced quality defender to help organise the back line.

And one which will not go down well, but a sneaky 3 million bid for Conor Wickham, currently on loan, big young lad who can be a handfull on his day. Maybe right for our club?

I''ll leave it out there.

For me the best permanent signing would be Naughton, getting very little action at Spurs apart from average Euro teams. Doesn''t even make the Perm squad. RB has looked a shakey position for us.

Would also like to see us go for Heitinga, he''ll be cheap and can cover CB, which some people think need shoring up, but I would have him mainly as midfield cover as for me Johnson isn''t good enough.

The obvious one is a winger, and although Wessi was blinding at the weekend I would try and get a winger and a attacking playmaker on loan. De Bruyne will go to someone in Europe but of that ilk.

I think with us not looking so desperate now, people can''t hold us to ransom and they will know from previous windows, if the price isn''t right we just don''t do a deal.

Gaps in our squad before injuries, i''d say are a bigger, stronger version of Wes to compete with him if we go 4-5-1 with a poacher as the 1. That guy would have to be versatile enough to be able to either be the big man in 4-4-2 or be able to effectively play out wide.

That may be what Elmander shows and to be fair he''s slowly getting better.

The next gap is capable competition for the engine room. We have shown how vulnerable we are by Tettey''s injury and the fact we don''t really have any decent back up. Johnson did the hard work but messed up the easy stuff and Fer is wasted there.

One more midfielder in the mould of Tettey would come in useful and even provide backup at the back potentially. Someone like Mbia was before his career was effectively killed at QPR.

Lastly, i''d quite like 1 more defender to keep Bassong on his toes more. I like the three we''ve got but if we could get a quick, strong CB, it''d be good.

Generally a bit more athletisism in the side. We''re better with Redmond and Olsson but there''s still room to improve.

Audacious loan bids for Michael essien, abou diaby (back around march, Wenger might let us have him to give him match fitness) adebayor and Clint Dempsey from MLS. No chance with any of them, but theyd be the types to go for for me - undoubted quality but not playing at present for whatever reason.

what are somen tchoyi and krancjar doing these days?

Krancjar is back with uncle Harry at QPR, I don''t know i''d want the unfit players you state. We need people that are ready to go now. Fitness is such a big deal these days in the premiership, i''d argue they need to either play more reserve football with some sub appearances in the first team or aim lower than us for their comebacks.

[quote user="Indy"]

And one which will not go down well, but a sneaky 3 million bid for Conor Wickham, currently on loan, big young lad who can be a handfull on his day. Maybe right for our club?

[/quote]

With a Premier League return of 1 goal from 32 appearances it''s fair to say the Connor Wickham bubble has well and truly burst. No thanks!!

I forgot to add that due to injury, a quality winger would be very useful. Maybe we can talk to Liverpool about taking Sterling on loan tonight, sew up a deal for January.

Man City won''t let Lescott go. He''ll be 3rd choice still when Kompany comes back and much needed.

Heitinga is one that could happen if he''s not getting games at Everton. We have two of his mates from the national team and a gap where he''d fit in. I just wonder what his wages are...

Agree with many that a holding midfielder is needed - it is clear that Tettey is never going to manage a sustained injury free spell as he has had serious issues for the last 4 seasons now. Bradley Johnson just doesn''t have the discipline for this role. Would also like to see a forward come in who is comfortable across a number of positions to add a little flexibility up front - someone with a bit of creativity about them to provide a greater variety in attack.

Norwich tried to get a centre back in the summer so would imagine they will be on the look out again in January - although McNally has never really gone mad for January signings.

Think Lescott''s wages might be a little steep for Norwich (not that Lescott would consider a loan spell so far down the table) and Everton fans would probably drive Heitinga to Norwich so bad has his form been of late. Although I wouldn''t be too unhappy to see him come on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Same as everyone else,   cover/better than tettey in CM,  a new centre back,  Fer quality in terms of better than anything else we have and a genuine no 10 to sit off RvW to provide some much needed creativity through the middle rather than always going wide (still think Wes can do that but needs younger competition).

Heitinga is a good shout. For me, DM/Tettey replacement is the big one. We need to free-up Fer and Howson more.

Also, Naughton is another great shout. Better than RM and Whitts.

Another pacy CB is definitely going to be on the shopping list. As pointed out, don''t think Lescott would come to us at the moment.

I''m sure the club will also be after another winger, but I actually don''t think this is as important as a DM or CB though. Redmond and Hoolahan did well on sat, plus we have 2 Murphys, Olsson and even Whittaker could prob do ok there.

Wickham.. no way! Though sadly I can imagine city going for him. We like forwards that don''t score goals. PS that''s not a dig at any current player!

I still think Wickham will end up being a top Premier League striker. Anyway, I get the feeling we will simply go for a couple of decent loans, and these will not be wingers or strikers....

Doubt if he''d come to Norwich. He dislikes Fulham''s style of play, so he''d hardly going to be excited about us! Plus he''s a prima donna and I doubt whether he''d move outside of London at this stage in his career. And yes, he''s lazy. Not what we want in a relegation fight in my opinion.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I still think Wickham will end up being a top Premier League striker. Anyway, I get the feeling we will simply go for a couple of decent loans, and these will not be wingers or strikers....[/quote]

Yeah, I think Wickham will probably do quite well for himself. He''s still only 20.

Not sure he''ll ever be ultra prolific but to have already made about 100 club appearances at his age and with 6 England U21 goals to his name would suggest the lad has got something about him.

I think the overall factor for these signings has to be quality. We need to be first team players to help us improve. Yes of course coaching and tactics have a lot to do with it, but as a rule better players make a better team. We can strengthen ALL areas - there is not one position in the team that should be comfortable - that is how to keep players sharp and improve as a team.Unfortunately though due to the injuries, I expect that we will be buying some "band aids" for the team which will be very disappointing.

For me there are two obvious positions.

Firstly CB. Primarily because we were making strong enquiries over the summer in regards to young up and coming decent center halves. We know we were linked with at least two. That to me suggests that we still want one in. If Turner hasn''t signed a new deal by January I would be concerned that he too could be on his way so hopefully someone more permanent too.

Ideally the second player would be a bit like a Joe Cole in his prime. Can play AM, as the second striker and as a winger if needed. Ideally we''d get in a decent winger and an AM in the form of the number 10 role, but for that to happen I think one would have to be a loan.

The summer will be the most interesting for me. We are getting to the point where there are not many of the Championship team left, and those that are, tend to be involved with the first team still.