Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Liverpool last year and my thoughts on tonight..

Liverpool away. The dreaded fixture which, over the course of a season and a half, has transpired into a game that will cause your average Norwich fan to shudder and unceremoniously slide off his plastic chair in to a pathetic heap on the floor. Well that was my reaction to last seasons home match; the 5-2 thrashing still stands as the one game I have left prior to the final whistle being blown. Although, this was partly down to our own fans sarcastically ‘olaying’ every time we successfully passed the ball, the Upper N&P sure know how to have a good time..

The memory which sticks out from this match, and actually had me laughing at the time, is as follows..

-          Johnson makes contact with Suarez in an attempt to win the ball

-          Suarez falls and rolls around clutching his leg/ankle in agony on the floor

-          The fans get piss3d

-          Suarez gets sent to the sidelines for some deep heat which will heal the apparent broken leg

-          Suarez is immediately let back on the pitch

-          The fans get more piss3d

-          Seconds later Suarez is bearing down on goal, 1 on 1 with Ruddy

-          The fans hold their breath in silence

-          Suarez finally shoots and, fortunately for us, narrowly misses the goal

-          The stadium erupts as every single Norwich  fan rubs the miss right into his strange, horse-like face

-          The following goal kick is taken short to Michael Turner

-          Turner hesitates in possession

-          The fans sh!t themselves

-          Suarez pounces and moments later the ball is nestled in the corner of John Ruddy’s goal

-          Suarez wheels away in an incredibly irritating celebration (Not sure what it was about the celebration that was so annoying but it definitely was)

That is my recollection anyway, and it still feels more vivid than I would like it to in my head..

On to tonight’s game and we face a Liverpool side who come out from a very disappointing performance against Hull on Saturday, additionally they have only won 1 of their last 4 matches (in fairness it was Arsenal and Everton away but shh). So the Liverpool players will already be somewhat down on confidence, Sturridge’s injury can only further dent their positivity and hopefully Gerrard’s dog has come down with something overnight- serious, but not fatal.

It is just as easy to say that Liverpool will come out even more determined to bounce back from their recent dip in form but if we approach this match in the right way we can give ourselves the best chance in not letting this happen.

What I would like to see us do is press Liverpool back in a Southampton-esque fashion straight from the kick off, IMO this tactic will work best with a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 (I think that we’ll probably keep the same team from Saturday). I understand this style is not effective over the course of 90 minutes due to fatigue- however, an initial 15/20 minutes of intense pressing will heap the pressure on Liverpool and it will hopefully consequent in a shaky start from the home side. This shaky start will start to erode and spread to the fans, who, in turn, will begin to grumble and murmur about why Suarez hasn’t scored yet. This grumbling will pile up the weight on the player’s shoulders, and the mounting pressure will eventually lead to Skrtel imploding and scoring an own goal after a dramatically overpowered back pass.

Okay, so not that exactly, what I am trying to say is that if we set up for this match in the right manner we can inflict a domino effect which will give us the best platform to jump off. After all, 1 or 2 of the dominoes have already fallen in the Liverpool camp it’s just a matter of bridging them over to the rest...

This tactic is not without fault and if Liverpool get in behind our midfield we will need to ride our luck, but are we ever going to get a result away against one of the top teams without riding our luck at some point in the game? I can’t see it at the moment.

I would hate to see us sit off and surrender possession early on. Please can we just not do that for one away game? PLEASE?

Prediction- Liverpool something, Norwich nil

i would like to see fer bulldoze suarez in the first 30 seconds with the feisty Uruguayan getting angry and attempting to chew his leg off in retaliation, resulting in a mass brawl and four liverpool red cards, norwich going on to snatch a draw (well, you dont expect us to score do you ?) pretty unlikely though

The home game last season was not the drubbing some would make out.  It was mistakes that cost us, as in the first half we had competed well with Jackson and Surman causing one or two problems.  The Turner mistake and the Garrido pass were poor to say the least.  We scored two goals, but the damage was done by those mistakes.   Make no mistake Liverpool were on form, but we were just poor.   It took Hoolahan to come on and provide a bit of a spark, which led on to our good run of unbeaten games.

The away match, which is a bit more relevant, was poor in that we let the heads drop and let them over run us.   A good performance is needed tonight, for several reasons, not least, to show every other club in the league that we are getting it together.

Don''t worry about the response from Waveney "canary" Ned - he isn''t a canary really

I agree with your post - we can''t afford to sit back and give them time on the ball in our half. I was feeling a bit optimistic earlier but as kick off gets closer I am remembering last year more.

Just thought I''d say, a great post, thanks!   Lets just hope we are not lucky to get nil, really want to see a ballsy performance tonight...