Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Bassong needs time

Seb looked shakey yesterday...didn''t win too much in the air and some of his touches were short or hesitantly executed and because he wasn''t his usual assertive self, relied on putting the ball to Ollsen too often when he was being squeezed putting pressure on his left back as a consequence.

He''s going to need another game before we see him at his best but whether that needs to be against Liverpool, I don''t know! Dropping him for the game could also effect his confidence. I feel the Liverpool game is make or break for him?

Thought it was a return to form. Got stronger as it went on. Killed the danger time and time again.

Remember he didnt have a pre season, recovering from an injury and probably came into the starting lineup earlier then what they wanted to put him in, if we would have signed that centre half Hughton wanted then he probably would have been given a bit more time to get up to speed.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Seb looked shakey yesterday...didn''t win too much in the air and some of his touches were short or hesitantly executed and because he wasn''t his usual assertive self, relied on putting the ball to Ollsen too often when he was being squeezed putting pressure on his left back as a consequence.

He''s going to need another game before we see him at his best but whether that needs to be against Liverpool, I don''t know! Dropping him for the game could also effect his confidence. I feel the Liverpool game is make or break for him?[/quote]

Absolutely 100% correct summary of Bassong yesterday .... poor by any standard let alone his higher level of achievement .

I have to presume that the posters saying he looked good and was getting better , were obviously not at the game ,,,, and either read or listened .....he was poor and the question about should he be dropped for Liverpool .. I think probably ,, besides ,,, Turner had done nothing wrong ,,,, Bennet has improved dramatically and fully deserved to be playing . We need our strongest team on the field at all times ,, regardless of pecking order ,, or how much we paid for their services .

Looked shaky at times and is definitely nowhere near his best but didn''t let it get to him, kept focus and kept going. Want him back to full fitness ASAP because that stability at the back will permeate to other areas of the pitch and give us more confidence going forward.

Agree with last poster...just seen the Hull v Liverpool game and my! how they missed Sturridge, which is good news for our defence on Wednesday night...but there is bound to be a reaction.

"Poor by any standard" is an absurd opinion on Bassong''s performance yesterday.

I would advise anyone who thinks like that to watch the game back and pay attention to the number of times he nipped things in the bud.

If we''d have been relying on Bennett to keep things together at the back we''d have been in trouble.

Bassong had a good game in my opinion.

Bennett is a good defender and has the potential to be a top one but certainly at the moment he doesn''t read the game as well as Turner or Bassong. Which is to be expected, with his age. It''ll come. Don''t know why people think Bassong was poor though!

How was Bassong tonight? My guess he is severely damaged goods after this latest drubbing...and not worthy of the armband...what''s the verdict?