Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

so what should've been done differently?

Hughton should have gone months ago and at the latest after the Cardiff home game.

When he goes watch the mood lift at Norwich City.

The man is like one of those Dementors in Harry Potter sucking the joy out of everything.

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This is the best way to explain how Hughton operates away from home. It is particularly apt when you go in at half-time 3-0 down having been outclassed, and go back out onto the field having not changed a thing.

It isn''t about losing the game, it is the defeatism which bothers people. The way that we are resigned to losing.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]Hired an assassin to kill Suarez and make it look like sucide?[/quote]Spot on,but I think you meant suicide.

Defend from the front, make Gerrard think about dropping that 20 yards deeper by having Hooper and Elmander in there. Have Suarez man marked.

How about concentrating on improving the defence in the Summer rather than spending £25million on strikers and leaving them on the bench/not playing them?

Good enough for you?

To win you have to believe you will win, that belief has to be instilled in the team, if you do not believe you will win you never will.

Our away performances, tactics , have left the players knowing they are going out to lose, and they do!

To have any chance in that game we had to attack a slightly vulnerable Liverpool defence, we knew they would score and that we had to as well.

So you send the team out with the main striker missing.

It''s shocking.

[quote user="Vanwink"]To win you have to believe you will win, that belief has to be instilled in the team, if you do not believe you will win you never will.

Our away performances, tactics , have left the players knowing they are going out to lose, and they do!

To have any chance in that game we had to attack a slightly vulnerable Liverpool defence, we knew they would score and that we had to as well.

So you send the team out with the main striker missing.

It''s shocking.[/quote]That is it in a nutshell. We are beaten before we start with the wrong team selection, the wrong tactics, the wrong attitude and the wrong signals being sent out by the manager & coaches. Things must change

If you want to avoid getting beat you''ve got to give yourself the best chance possible by playing your best defence. We didn''t.

If you want to give yourself a chance of winning the game you''ve got to have better/more than Elmander upfront. We didn''t

It''s not just the team selection, I believe our problems stem from what we are doing (or not doing) in training i.e lack of closing down and pushing the opposition back rather than just backing off and allowing them forward, man mark rather than the zonal rubbish we are doing now. we are not fit enough either against palace on Saturday we looked shagged after the 70th minuet.

Then we move on to the poor team selection, dropping the only striker that looks like he might know where the goal is especially after a pre match interview with Hooper saying how excited he was starting at Anfield which is also poor man management.

IMO Gary Birtles had it right in his commentary, at 1-0 down he said why not bring on Hooper, at 3-0 he said it doesn''t matter any more what we do.

This is my issue with Chris Hughton; unlike some guy called Paul Lambert who apparently often makes changes, CH apparently won''t. If we''d gone on to lose 5-1 after making changes at 2-0 down, then I think most people would say O.K we were just outclassed.

But to lose 5-1 without making any significant and early changes smacks of defeatism, even though frankly most of the players remained quite positive and attacked throughout the game.

I can tell you what we SHOULDNT have done and that is keep picking a team that has all the attacking prowess of a newborn kitten.

Neither should he have stamped on the one gradually blossoming striking option we have, just after he has spoken of his excitement at playing at Anfield and how he moved to us to play games like this. Absolutely shocking man management again, and proof if it hasn''t been provided by Holt and Morison already, that Hughton ruins strikers. All at the expense of so called defensive solidity which of course is a total joke. Yes Suarez was unplayable but so was Hazard today and as Poyet said tonight, he was happy that his team kept fighting and kept playing and werent embarrassed. We are embarrassed in these types of games. Always. We''re a f&%#ing laughing stock.

I wouldn''t include "losing well" in my post-game summary as being a team goal.

I''d play my goal scorer.

I''d tell the players this is OUR game so let''s tske it to them. We had momentum on our side after both team''s latest results.

I would recommend a dentist for Suarez who could fit him for braces. Why was Suarez playing, but Hooper given a rest?

Ok jas, you''ve had many replies. Now enlighten us all with your response to your own question. Conceding defeat before kickoff is not acceptable to real fans of the team.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Come on then?

What should hoots have done to ensure victory against inferior Liverpool?[/quote]quit!

Instill a sense of belief in the whole club, from players to fans, that we can give anyone in this league a game. Far too many times now we all go into games with the inevitable air of defeat, even the most positive of fans. It''s not healthy for me, you or the club.

Can he do this before WBA? Well he''s no Henry V.

Still hacked off, first thing in the morning. Not a good sign.

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 2013-12-05 2:04 AM:

Come on then?

What should hoots have done to ensure victory against inferior Liverpool?

I imagine you were one of those who were fully beind Glen Roeder too.

How can you defend the second worst manager in our history. He has achieved THREE away wins since his appointment, and seen his defensive mandate concede TWENTY-EIGHT goals in the last fourteen matches.

And you ask what should he have done?

I despair, He is the manager, coach, bus driver and all things great to the people defending him - he is destroying this club and throttling the lifeblood out of it - he should be sacked immediately, but what he should do to save face is walk away, because if he gets sacked, and it will come, he will not get another job.

Jas you have had many replies. Most are saying the same thing instill some belief in to the players and supporters (or just quit which is my preffered option).What is your idea

What would I have done differently?

1. Probably played the only genuine goalscorer we have and not have him wondering what the hell he has to do to stay in the side after scoring the winner the week before.
  2. I wouldn''t have played our most creative player on the wing. You can get away with that against a team like Palace who don''t have any real quality. Liverpool will always exploit that and murder you.

I don''t think it would have altered the result of the match. But yesterday was representative of his attitude to away matches wherever we go. We set up in the same way whether its a trip to Reading or Arsenal. We''ve won twice away from home in 2013 (Stoke and Man City). That puts immense pressure on your home games and is the reason that we seem to lurch from one must win home fixture to another. You can''t win all of your home games - your luck does run out eventually and when it does we are in serious trouble.

Our players individually and as a group seem to lack motivation and belief; team selection - for instance, last night why drop Hooper, Wes on the wing, really?; tactics and strategy; football philosophy, not to lose rather than play for the win; our defence which has apparently been addressed. These issues are indicative of what might be done differently.

Football is played in the mind, not on the pitch. You saw compelling evidence of this when we played West Ham. First half terrible, outplayed, about 30% possession, listing to another defeat. Gifted a penalty by Jaaskalinen and suddenly we have a get out of jail card. Presented with the opportunity to score we wouldnt normally have had, it breathed belief and we went on to win the game. Dont think there is anything wrong with the squad, or the players we have at our disposal. The problem is the psychology of it all. its how good players can look like world beaters on one day and non-league another. The psychology under Hughton is what needs to change to get the players performing to the level of their ability. They are under-performing at present - no question of that.