Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Olsson Suspended on Saturday

I think we will change things on Saturday, regardless of whether Hughton is here or not. Hooper will be back in, possibly for Wes. Turner for Bennett.

Bennett was our best defender tonight. Seems to be getting better with game time, not surprising since he''s the least experienced of the back four. Dropping him would be stupid!

[quote user="Wishbone"]Bennett was our best defender tonight. Seems to be getting better with game time, not surprising since he''s the least experienced of the back four. Dropping him would be stupid![/quote]

Ridiculous.

Bennett ran away from Suarez and turned his back on the first goal. And did basically the same on the 3rd.

Fair enough Suarez is different class and his strikes were out of the top drawer but you''ve at least got to make it hard for him. Bennett didn''t, he made it easier.

Get Turner (PPOTS) and Bassong (POTS) back together asap and stop pretending Bennett is up to it.

The first goal was unstoppable. The third he could have done better for sure. But the number of blocks or clearances he made tonight was clear to see. Backed up by the commentary on the stream. Bassong was the weaker defender tonight pal...

But surely if he goes to meet the ball/danger rather than running away/turning his back on it he doesn''t allow Suarez the freedom to get the shot away?

He''s just not as good as Turner. And the soon as the manager gets back to playing our best pairing in the centre of defence the better.

I think he has the potential to be a lot better as he''s more comfortable on the ball and has more pace, just needs to play games for experience. I don''t doubt Turner as a good decision maker and being a typically old fashioned / solid centreback. Think all three central defenders are great on their day. Bassong seems the most off form at present.

I think Bennett has marginally more pace and offers little on the ball.

Bennett had such a great game that the role of marking Suarez was removed from him at half time.   Bennetts passing was good but he lost his player too often.    

For me bassong was the far better player of the two cbs last night.   I too would revert back to Bassong and Turner.

More alarming was how ineffective our midfield was yest,   Fer, Howson and Johnson is a combination that simply does not work on any level  - low tackle, interception and creativity, with no cutting edge through the middle at all.     Sitting Fer deep was an error and left him with his most ineffective game all season.   Howson was a shadow of his performances for most of the season and, like fer, invisible too often.    BJ was the best of the bunch but was his usual self - when we got teh ball to wes and redderz we threatened,  the cms and defenders simply did not do that well enough.   Elamnder worked hard but was also poor,   but was at least a presence compared to the invisible Hooper. 

Add in the defensive errors its no suprise we lost.  

These are players who have not played to the potential they have;  they deserve as much of the blame as Hughton is getting.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think we will change things on Saturday, regardless of whether Hughton is here or not. Hooper will be back in, possibly for Wes. Turner for Bennett.[/quote]

Hooper for Wes? FFS, that would infuriate me if he does that. He''s hit upon a potentially fruitful partnership, not unlike Wes and Holt, and then breaks it up. Then he has the chance to bring one back, and he take the other one out!! Jeeesus. But no, i don''t think he''ll do that. Bennett and Bassong we should stick with also, i think that''s our best pairing at CB, provided Bassong can finally get rid of his rustiness.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Bennett and Bassong we should stick with also, i think that''s our best pairing at CB, provided Bassong can finally get rid of his rustiness.

[/quote]

And provided Bennett can be at least as good as Turner.

Which, at present, he isn''t. At all.