Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Win changes nothing

Awful performance yesterday. 2nd half in particular we were absolutely dire.

Palace are a poor poor side and will go down bottom of the league and we scraped a 1-0 win. Of course the Hughton apologists will think everything is alright and walk around with a smug look on their face as if they were and still are right all along.

But we all know we face two away losses and two more abject away performances.

How much longer do we have to endure this? I dont enjoy matches anymore, the 2nd half yesterday was terrible and Palace could have easily won had Bassongs slice gone in and Jerome not missed a sitter. But its the manner of our performance, so flat and uninspiring.

A wins a win, if we''re playing badly and still winning this is surely a good sign.

A win changes our points total, so it does at least change something.

If we are to get any points from the next two matches, we need to play better and for the whole game. (If we don''t get any points we could conceivably be in the relegation zone afterwards.)

We did score a goal yesterday, and from open play, which is good, and we did somehow keep a clean sheet, but it was a performance well short of that at Stoke, I think. Since none of the injured are likely to be back for the Anfield game, we shall have the same basic squad as were on the sheet yesterday - starting and on the bench. CH will want to rest one or two for Saturday, perhaps Wes, who was clearly not fully match fit.

The positives were selecting Wes and Becchio, and having most substitutes playing more than 2 minutes. In addition both Wes and Becchio will be a little sharper. It was also good to see Bassong moving more quickly and some of the players performing well - Olsson, Wes, Howson and Redmond in particular.

I suppose some of us can remember far worse times than this and perhaps view things a little bit different to this?

I remember the mid to late ''90''s with watching sides with Milligan and Carey as the CM partnership with Llewelyn and Forbes on the flanks . . . . hardly a midfield to set you alight with flair and ability.

Luckily the old Division 1 was devoid of much of that anyway which made it fun viewing. In those days we rarely sold out and gates could drop as low as 13k.

Despite the scrappy-ness of the game yesterday the only real chance they had was the one Olsson cleared off the line. Maybe not pretty, but then when you play against a Pulis team you know it''s not going to be pretty.

Any manager is not going to be in the clear yet, very much depends on the team''s performance in the next two away games.

What is worth noting is that he spent most of the 2nd half telling the team to push higher up the pitch. Sometimes it is easier to attack the 2nd half when you are one down or at 0-0, Palace had absolutely nothing to lose and played like it, pushing much higher up and preventing us from being able to pass the ball easily.

You are right chicken we seen much worse than yesterday and a win is a win. I thought that we were good in the first half but the second was concerning . I am not a CH outer but more of a striver for better. I want CH to succeed but yesterday was not the beginning of a rennaissance for me. It was 3 good points though.

[quote user="Buh"]Accurate is the word you are looking for[/quote]

No, You have appeared on here to dismiss other peoples views in an unpleasant way if they are not your own. That is the behaviour of a wind up merchant who lacks either the personality or the interlect to debate.

Someone said Carey, it made me shudder.

Whilst anyone reading threads over the last few weeks will have seen me firmly in the OUT camp I was encouraged by yesterday. Bassong and Bennett is our best CB pairing and we looked solid at the back ok we rode our luck a bit but you can always say that.

We probably had 20 minutes in the first half when we passes the ball nicely and got the ball in the box trying to involve the striker (and we scored!) why we sat deeper in the second half is beyond me but whatever it was I don''t think on this occasion you can blame the manager as the personnel was the same.

Hopefully Hughton will learn something from yesterday and continue to experiment to find a way to repeat this every week for 90 minutes.

Maybe im clutching at straws but im trying to be positive.

In my opinion, the OP was stating a view that he didn''t feel that the win had changed his mind about CH and his approach/ability to continue at our club. I don''t agree but neither do I think it to be a stupid comment. I hope that the CH outers have a broader view about our situation than one based on one result. Equally one swallow does not make a summer. That is what could have been debated without dismissing him.

The op is miserable and should man up. There''s a viewpoint to debate.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Awful performance yesterday. 2nd half in particular we were absolutely dire.

Palace are a poor poor side and will go down bottom of the league and we scraped a 1-0 win. Of course the Hughton apologists will think everything is alright and walk around with a smug look on their face as if they were and still are right all along.

But we all know we face two away losses and two more abject away performances.

How much longer do we have to endure this? I dont enjoy matches anymore, the 2nd half yesterday was terrible and Palace could have easily won had Bassongs slice gone in and Jerome not missed a sitter. But its the manner of our performance, so flat and uninspiring.[/quote]

If I was you Bootsie I''d get down the bookies and have a bet on that certainty about Palace finishing bottom. The arrogance of you and others like you is astounding. Palace''s 2 previous games were a win  at Hull and a 0-0 draw with Everton. They are not the results of a team which will, certainly finish bottom. Two consecutive premier clean sheets are unusual for such nailed on bottom teams.

You invite abuse by looking for a fight with who you call Hughton apologists and I expect those very same people have a wide smile reading your post and imagining you banging away on the keyboard with a face like a slapped arse. Even Glovey''s flying around the board today trying to cover his options. Maybe he''s not quite as arrogant as you...

Well let''s see what was said eh - and if there is much here for debate

" Win changes nothing"

Admittedly the second half was a struggle, but we did get three points, which moved us further away from the bottom three. We also overcame the loss of Snodgrass and Pilkington without too much of a loss of attacking threat.

" Awful performance yesterday. 2nd half in particular we were absolutely dire. "

Second half was a struggle, but it would be pretty harsh to say the first half was an awful performance.

" Palace are a poor poor side and will go down bottom of the league and we scraped a 1-0 win. "

Winning 1-0 is a fact, and based on the table Palace must be a a poor side but whether they will finish bottom we will find out in due course.

"Of course the Hughton apologists will think everything is alright and walk around with a smug look on their face as if they were and still are right all along"

Nothing to debate there. This poster is not inviting comment, he''s made his mind up and this is his statement.

"But we all know we face two away losses and two more abject away performances"

We know nothing of the sort. Projecting past experience forward is natural, and based on that it seems likely, but there is a reasons why we play the games….

"How much longer do we have to endure this? I dont enjoy matches anymore, the 2nd half yesterday was terrible and Palace could have easily won had Bassongs slice gone in and Jerome not missed a sitter. But its the manner of our performance, so flat and uninspiring"

Ah, the punch line - our performance is flat and inspiring … yes agree with that, but isn''t that the nature of football - you win some you shouldn''t, you lose or draw some where you can''t believe the other team got away with so many fouls, time wasting, miraculous saves or biased refereeing,

But if its a comment that it would be better if we showed more passion, passed more crisply, steamrollered poor teams, I doubt that many supporters - whether Hughton "inners" or "outers" would disagree. But life and football often isn''t like that, so rather than being smug it''s just possible that the "inners" are a bit more reserved in their criticism.

"Norwich or die tryin!"Yesterday was the worst iv ever seen us play and win.

I''m sorry but that is OTT bollox.

The only explanation I can think of is that he watches with his eyes shut. And just listens to those voices in his head.

Oh those voices ....

All of the smart arses saying i"t does change something, the league table" - positional placing means naff all at this stage of the seasons, it''s about points on the board, and we are still right in the mix down the bottom. Plus our goal difference tells you everything and sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Buh" is clearly just one of the many multiple accounts set up by people who will defend Hughton to the hilt and will say anything to try and justify the terrible football we are playing at the moment.

The good thing though about having such a distinctive and easy to remember user name as they do, means I can just filter out and skip every bulls*** post they make. I''d suggest you do the same.

Here''s ANOTHER ncfc fan mad we won! You guys are doing the hard work for me proving my point keep going and keep being miserable when we win, makes you look really good.

[quote user="the bristol nest"][quote user="Buh"]Accurate is the word you are looking for[/quote]

No, You have appeared on here to dismiss other peoples views in an unpleasant way if they are not your own. That is the behaviour of a wind up merchant who lacks either the personality or the interlect to debate.[/quote]

I like this guy!