Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Have you made your mind up?

With the different rallying cries going out this morning from the hughton inners and the hughton outers, what I would like to know is have u made your mind up? I was a floating voter pre-season. I hated last season and wanted things to change, but I had faith that last season was transition, and that we''d see the real hughton team this season. We started poorly, but I kept the faith, telling myself it just needed to gel. The stoke game buoyed me, as did some of the home games. I felt it was coming. But the Tottenham game was awful and since then its just got worse and worse. Im now firmly in the hughton out camp, as I see the team going backwards not forwards. I now feel I have seen enough evidence of the hughton regime to form a firm opinion that he is not the man to take the club forward. The inadequacies I had previously tolerated as circumstantial, I now believe to be defining. I found myself wondering if anything could change this opinion, and if im honest with myself, im not sure it can. I dont like hughtons approach to football and I dont think I ever will. I dont think the football is enjoyable to watch and I dont think it is successful or effective. I want a change, and I dont think the kind of changes I want are going to happen through hughton. I think he has his ideas on the game and they are here to stay. I dont like them, so I dont see how I am ever going to come back to thinking he is the right manager for the club. Im not sure that even a turn around in results will change my opinion while the overriding philosophy remains the same. My honest opinion is that my mind is made up and I dont think hughton has the power to change the mind of this particlar fan. Similarly though, the hughton inners seem almost religious in their faith, suggesting that similarly, their minds are made up. So my question is this - Is your mind made up? Are u capable of changing your mind about hughton (whatever your position) or have u already made a firm decision? I suppose if the football radically changed and we started thrashing teams that I might change my mind, but realistically, I dont see how hughton could win back my heart or mind

All I want is three points today and I''m going to have to go to the match and put up with pointless B''llocks on both sides from wannabe psychologists, management consultants and basically people that want drama at the football club because we''ve got to the end of a successful "run". I''m just sick to death of it, a new manager won''t solve it, not at all. It''s the same old tired B''llsh''t ever time.

I know bumping your own thread is the metaphorical equivalent of laughing at your own jokes and smelling your own f*rts (and liking it), but in reading the various threads today I am still left with this question. Those who support Hughton seem to come out in support, whatever the performance or result, and I wonder how bad it would have to get before their opinion could be changed? Similarly, my above, heartfelt admission last week is that honestly, I cant see myself coming round. I''ve admitted my mind is pretty made up and I not very receptive to it being changed any more. Is this the same with some Hughton inners as well?

So what about you? Is your mind made up, either way? Or would you still consider yourself open-minded?  (I couldnt see the game yesterday but I expected a 5-0 loss with a Suarez hat-trick, so yesterday was par for the course for me)

Apalling though it was, GMD, I almost felt last night was a cathartic experience. Whilst having been a Hughton sceptic for months now, I consistently said that , if by the end of Nov we were on a point per game or less, then I''d be 100% Hughton out. But, courtesy of a very unconvincing 1-0 win against the bottom club, we were just above the trapdoor. So, I felt honour bound to stick with him.

But the Anfield shambles has finally made my mind up. I now no longer have to be even -handed, and, frankly it''s a lot easier. As far as I am concerned he should go, and go now, before it''s too late. I honestly believe that had Spurs not come back v Fulham, and we were 1 point off the drop, then he''d have been given his marching orders this morning.

So, no, I am no longer even slightly open minded, so probably mirror you, in fact.

Yep TGM for what its worth I agree 100 per cent with your original post.

My problem has been that I never wanted Hoots at NCFC so I have tried hard to keep positive about him and continually give him the benefit of the doubt.

Now? Nope, as Popeye said '' Oi cant stands it n''more''

My biggest fear is that the board is dangerously split and we will soon lose a most important member if this isn''t sorted damn quick.

My opinion is that he should go now

No not yet, despite last night''s Suarez tonking I am still of the opinion that games vs Man City and Liverpool are not what I should judge CH on, others can judge on what they like. Its a run of games like we now have before we play Manure that will make my mind up, regardless of the weakened squad,  I am expecting a decent return, a couple of wins and a draw would be very nice. If something similar to that doesnt happen (we lose 3 and dont give some performances, players not committed etc), then my opinion will change no doubt, but right now I feel no different to the way I did before the Palace game.    

Although I''m not too unhappy with where we are in the table, total collapses like this are getting tiresome.

Hughton''s analysis afterwards was right, our players simply weren''t getting in their faces enough when Liverpool had the ball. I''m disappointed that our players can''t bring themselves to do that of their own accord, but in this scenario, Hughton needs to find a way to ensure that every single player puts 100% into every game. For me, he can only do that by getting ruthless in his team selection, which means dropping players that aren''t prepared to battle and giving others a chance. Giving players tenure until they hit an injury is not good enough. There''s no way Hooper shouldn''t have started over Elmander after scoring the winner last week, although Johnson did redeem himself a bit after the Newcastle blunder with the consolation goal.

Still believe Hughton has some good qualities and has done well to get some good players here and did well last season. He has to be tough enough to make this talented crop really fight though rather than give in to fear of the opposition.

I finally climbed off the fence after the Newcastle game with it''s ridiculous late substitutions which reflected a desire not to lose by a larger margin rather than an attempt to gain a point.

There is still a certain amount of doubt on this. Hughton has been unlucky with injuries - Hooper before the season started, then Bennett, followed by RvW, and now Tettey, Pilks and Snoddy. The need to weld the team together has been thwarted to a large extent.

If there were a potential manager available who could take the team by the scruff of the neck, and perhaps sign a couple of very good players in January, I would say, "sign him up and let CH go". Having seen the (regular) names available, I am not greatly attracted.

I don''t rate our chances of anything impressive this season under CH, but e might survive again. By the same token, I have not been convinced by alternatives.

I think Hughton will keep us up. But I''m becoming ever more convinced that he isnt the man to help us progress much further than that.

I was all for Hughton at the start of this season, i really thought we would kick on under him. i really did. his Birmingham side had been the top away scorers when he was there so i thought that he MUST know how to play attacking football.

since then I''ve spoken to Birmingham fans and newcastle fans and they all say the same thing. what we are seeing IS chris hughton''s attacking style. and he does struggle to turn it round when his teams are behind. and he wont get any better. and he is a lovely bloke.

so i guess in the long term he has to go. and with that in mind, perhaps it should be sooner rather than later?

the trouble is, who would be better?

Just trying to keep this thread on topic, but the point of the thread is supposed to be whether you feel your position on the fence is changeable or not. If you are Hughton out - is he capable of changing your mind? If you are Hughton in - will you support him no matter what, and if not, where will you draw the line?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Just trying to keep this thread on topic, but the point of the thread is supposed to be whether you feel your position on the fence is changeable or not. If you are Hughton out - is he capable of changing your mind? If you are Hughton in - will you support him no matter what, and if not, where will you draw the line?[/quote]

In that case I''ll let my signature have the last word.

Iv been well and truly off the fence for a while, theirs not a hope in hells chance he will convince me that he''s capable of doing any thing for this club, and my biggest fear is that we have to be compleatly safe by April because if we need a point or 2 to stay up we are in big trouble as we will then just roll over against Liverpool, Man untd, Chelsea and Arsenal in our last four games

I''m probably 75% Hughton out. I''m open to changing my mind but he''s got his work cut out for him now.

Regardless I honestly can not see us starting next season with him in charge, he''s simply lost too much of the fan base, so for that reason I want him gone as soon as possible so the new man can have time!!