Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

goal difference says it all...

I always look at goal difference in the table. More often than not it tells the story of who is in free fall and who caves in under pressure. More often than not the three sides with the biggest goal difference go down.

We are shocking this season and a few lucky wins doesn''t mask some woeful performances.

Hughton is like a negative sponge. He is sucking the lifeblood from this club, he is the opposite of what Lambert ushered in.

We need change. We need it now. He has not done anything since a lucky run to show his worth.

Biggest spend in clubs history and pasting after pasting and gutless displays and negative tactics and sitting on 1-0 leads.

FFS. Get him OUT

I am inclined to agree. There was talk of this ''false position'' when we were 18th after our tough start but i''d argue we''re in that ''false position'' now. We''re cannon fodder away from home.

But goal difference does not say to all … points do first. And only then does goal difference matter. So we could lose half a dozen games 5-1 and it won''t matter if we pick up enough 1-0 or 2-1 wins.

I do agree with goal difference doesn''t say it all until I had a look back through the stats, in the history of the premier league Wigan in 09/10 season are the only team ever to not get relegated with the leagues worst goal difference.

I the last 3 seasons, the 3 teams with the worst goal difference have all been relegated.

So it does give a good indication.

Exactly. Obviously it is about the points. But any study shows the sides who let the goals in consistently go down- we have

THE WORST goals against in the entire division.

The spells disaster. Time to act. Hughton OUT

Goal difference shows where our problem lies. We didn''t get the class centreback during the summer and it shows.

I always look at goal difference in the table. More often than not it tells the story of who is in free fall and who caves in under pressure. More often than not the three sides with the biggest goal difference go down.

We are shocking this season and a few lucky wins doesn''t mask some woeful performances.

Hughton is like a negative sponge. He is sucking the lifeblood from this club, he is the opposite of what Lambert ushered in.

We need change. We need it now. He has not done anything since a lucky run to show his worth.

Biggest spend in clubs history and pasting after pasting and gutless displays and negative tactics and sitting on 1-0 leads.

FFS. Get him OUT

But they don''t, do they.More often than not, 12 times out of 22, at least one team with a bigger deficit than one of the three relegated teams  stays up.Even our old friends down the road managed it and I''m sure we can do better than them! [:D]

In our best premiership season, where we punched above our weight and

finished third, we  had several tonkings.  7-1 at Blackburn, 4-1 at 

Liverpool, 3-0 away at Southampton, 3-0 away at Wimbledon,  5-1 away at

Tottenham.  Several other matches where we let in three goals.  

But we finished the season third with a goal difference of -7.  

So

its not the amount of defeats you have, or the amount of goals you let

in, its the amount of points you do get that matter.   You win enough

matches you get enough points, you go up the table.  

The only problem you would have is if you let the defeats get to you. It didn''t get to us in 92-93 - we just kept bouncing back. The main thing is to battle on and keep your composure and your belief.  

Goal difference is not the be all and end all of a successful season.

Strangely one of our strengths is our ability to keep a clean sheet. Four already this season. How strange would it be if we had the worst goal difference in the league but stayed up through our ability to keep clean sheets!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]It would be as strange as if we got relegated despite having 9 or 10 clean sheets and a -30 goal differential.[/quote]

What would be even stranger is if we get 9 or 10 clean sheets, a -30 goal difference due to several tonkinsgs, but a few wins and a few draws putting us into mid table and ensuring another successful season  - yet still spend the whole season reading on here thread after thread of Hughton out guff.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2013-12-06 4:26 AM:

So its not the amount of defeats you have, or the amount of goals you let in, its the amount of points you do get that matter. You win enough matches you get enough points, you go up the table.

Errrrr, isn''t the problem the FACT that we ARE NOT winning enough matches. Our points total and goals against column tell you that FFS, you really do sprout some crap. LOOK AT THE PREMIERSHIP TABLE snd READ what it says.

[quote user="City 2nd"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 2013-12-06 4:26 AM:

So its not the amount of defeats you have, or the amount of goals you let in, its the amount of points you do get that matter. You win enough matches you get enough points, you go up the table.

Errrrr, isn''t the problem the FACT that we ARE NOT winning enough matches. Our points total and goals against column tell you that FFS, you really do sprout some crap. LOOK AT THE PREMIERSHIP TABLE snd READ what it says.[/quote]

YES IT SAYS WE ARE IN  16TH PLACE, FOUR POINTS CLEAR OF 18TH.   ONE WIN AWAY FROM 13TH PLACE. WE WON TWO OF OUR LAST FOUR MATCHES.    GET A GRIP.

If our goal difference is all they''ve got to go at Hughton with (I suppose now we''re 4pts clear of the bottom 3 it''s more difficult to argue we are doomed solely by the table) then the out brigade really are clutching at straws.