Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

If Hughton is as bad as..

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Blimey I was a bit concerned we might be agreeing on something but then I checked again

Define Tonked.

I can accept that if we get any kind of result against WBA that however dire the manner of play it is continuing to be effective and may keep us up. However much I hate watching it.

But lose by 2 goals or more ?

Please clarify.[/quote]

We have not lost to any of the clubs around us by more than a single goal since Fulham away on the opening day of last season. If we start doing that now it will make Hughton''s position very difficult to defend.

Sorry Nutty, you have as much right as anyone.

I ask you in another way, would you, not what you think the board would do, want to see Hughton go if we lost 3-0 to WBA? Or are you sticking to your guns regarding Hutghon doing a good job?

You have every right to stick to your guns as you say we are not in the bottom 3 by 4 points and if the league was made up of just 14 clubs we would be OK, unfortunately Man U, Arseanl, ManC, Liverpool Chelsea & Spuds are all in this league!

I''ve told you that already Indy. If we drop back into the bottom three we have to roll the dice. A heavy defeat on Saturday whilst not putting us in the bottom three would certainly indicate it likely. But if we remain clear of it would you not agree Hughton''s doing a good job? Especially with the injury situation? In those circumastances I believe the bigger gamble is replacing him.

[quote user="Indy"]

It’s about managers motivation and style and getting the most from your players, Hughton is failing to do that and deliver on the pitch.

I just thought as we all know Lambert and his style what this season has as a comparison between Lambert against Hughton just this season:

Signings this summer for Villa:

Aleksandar Tonev (Lech Poznan) Undisclosed

Jores Okore (FC Nordsjaelland) Undisclosed

Leandro Bacuna (FC Groningen) Undisclosed

Nicklas Helenius (Aalborg BK) Undisclosed

Antonio Luna (Sevilla) Undisclosed

Jed Steer (Norwich) Undisclosed

Libor Kozak (Lazio) Undisclosed

Signings this summer for Norwich:

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (Sporting Lisbon) Undisclosed

Javier Garrido (Lazio) Undisclosed

Nathan Redmond (Birmingham City) Undisclosed

Carlo Nash (Stoke City) Free

Martin Olsson (Blackburn Rovers) Undisclosed

Leroy Fer (FC Twente) Undisclosed

Gary Hooper (Celtic) Undisclosed

Johan Elmander (Galatasaray) Loan

Apart from Kozak I would have to say on paper far better signings made by Norwich and probably more money spent.

Current standing:

Played  Won      Drawn   Lost        GF          GA          PTS

Villa                        14           5              4              4              16           16           19

Norwich               14           4              2              7              12           28           14

Now I know it’s another Lambert v Hughton thread but considering he is an ex manager and Villa were a side full of older journeymen who were looking at Villa as a gravy train, I have to admit Lambert has done really well and by buying shrewd players with a few expensive signings thrown in.

But when you look at our so called manger who some bang on about how much more solid we look then I just point to the goals conceded by Villa! This is by a manager who is supposeidly not much nouse for defending.

I wonder what Lambert could do with our current squad? Would he be getting more out of them?

I can’t see how anyone can defend Hughton at this moment in time, he is not half the manger we had in Lambert and I am only using Villa as an example as they have our last manager who we know!

I am disappointed in Hugton and I thought I would never say this, but I would have Lambert back in a second if we had a choice! I was one of those who used to say he’s gone get over it and move on support Hughton, but not any more, not after another tonking!

But only my opinion.

[/quote]I notice Lamberts Villa managed a whopping 23% possession last night with just three attempts on target.  Yet another game where they played poorly yet came away with points, quite how you can call 23% possession and 3 on target to gain a 3-2 win "good management" is beyond me, personally I think for the fourth time this season already Villa have mugged a team for the points. They''re playing every bit as poorly as us just winning the odd fluky game more.

[quote user="The Sensational Zak Cartman"][quote user="Indy"]

It’s about managers motivation and style and getting the most from your players, Hughton is failing to do that and deliver on the pitch.

I just thought as we all know Lambert and his style what this season has as a comparison between Lambert against Hughton just this season:

Apart from Kozak I would have to say on paper far better signings made by Norwich and probably more money spent.

Current standing:

Villa                        14           5              4              4              16           16           19

Norwich               14           4              2              7              12           28           14

Now I know it’s another Lambert v Hughton thread but considering he is an ex manager and Villa were a side full of older journeymen who were looking at Villa as a gravy train, I have to admit Lambert has done really well and by buying shrewd players with a few expensive signings thrown in.

But when you look at our so called manger who some bang on about how much more solid we look then I just point to the goals conceded by Villa! This is by a manager who is supposeidly not much nouse for defending.

I wonder what Lambert could do with our current squad? Would he be getting more out of them?

I can’t see how anyone can defend Hughton at this moment in time, he is not half the manger we had in Lambert and I am only using Villa as an example as they have our last manager who we know!

I am disappointed in Hugton and I thought I would never say this, but I would have Lambert back in a second if we had a choice! I was one of those who used to say he’s gone get over it and move on support Hughton, but not any more, not after another tonking!

But only my opinion.

[/quote]

I notice Lamberts Villa managed a whopping 23% possession last night with just three attempts on target.  Yet another game where they played poorly yet came away with points, quite how you can call 23% possession and 3 on target to gain a 3-2 win "good management" is beyond me, personally I think for the fourth time this season already Villa have mugged a team for the points. They''re playing every bit as poorly as us just winning the odd fluky game more.
[/quote]

Oh dear, is it really that hard for you to see?

It''s because they are playing with no fear and going into games believing they can win. It stems from the manager''s motivational tactics. Chris Hughton couldn''t inspire an under-8s team. Makes me laugh people saying he was angry in last nights press-conference LOL - you call that angry?! He''s so soft and the players know this.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''ve told you that already Indy. If we drop back into the bottom three we have to roll the dice. A heavy defeat on Saturday whilst not putting us in the bottom three would certainly indicate it likely. But if we remain clear of it would you not agree Hughton''s doing a good job? Especially with the injury situation? In those circumastances I believe the bigger gamble is replacing him.

[/quote]

I have to agree with you on that, Nutty, win at WBA and beat Swansea and all will appear positive on the points front and indeed you can argue that Hughton would be doing a decent job......But god it''s boring rubbish football, just for a few minutes of some games where we get a glimpse of what these players can do, the rest of the time, we look lost, tired and second best and that inclues that last two home wins....but as they say the sign of a good team is to win when you don''t play well.

I''m just tired and need a holiday, football bugs me for the time being!

[quote user="The Sensational Zak Cartman"][quote user="Indy"]

Current standing:

But only my opinion.

[/quote]

I notice Lamberts Villa managed a whopping 23% possession last night with just three attempts on target.  Yet another game where they played poorly yet came away with points, quite how you can call 23% possession and 3 on target to gain a 3-2 win "good management" is beyond me, personally I think for the fourth time this season already Villa have mugged a team for the points. They''re playing every bit as poorly as us just winning the odd fluky game more.
[/quote]

No Villa set up to defend and break with pace and they do, they break in packs and at pace. Villa have 19 points and a win at Arsenal......Villa have 0 goal diff, scored more and conceded less but yes they must be really lucky!

I too have spent a long time sitting on the fence, but I do feel now is the right time to slip down off it.

The current management team have assembled an impressive squad of players, and got us through last season, but this season is when "their squad" was meant to push on from last season''s survival.

I have seen a lack of creativity and a lack of alternative ideas (as shown by the lack of substitutions at meaningful times in the games).

Staying in this division is vital. Do Wigan fans still feel that their Wembley success was worth falling out of the premiership?

Even if we do somehow stay up this year I can see no reason why next season would be anything other than another relegation battle and uninspiring performances.

If Hughton and his sidekicks are an unbreakable unit then all three have to go. If it were possible I wouldn''t mind keeping Hughton, but the other two have to go.

........I keep reading on here, I even read tonight he was less competent than Gunn, how come we''re not bottom Or even in the bottom three. In fact we''re four points clear of the bottom three. How has this happened?

[/quote]

Gunn never had the financial backing that Hughton has had for starters.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

........I keep reading on here, I even read tonight he was less competent than Gunn, how come we''re not bottom Or even in the bottom three. In fact we''re four points clear of the bottom three. How has this happened?

[/quote]

Gunn never had the financial backing that Hughton has had for starters.

[/quote]

Of course financial backing is relative. I believe our budget was similar to that of Wolves who were promoted that season.

Anyway, well done for not getting washed away.

(note to Mother Nature: MUST TRY HARDER[;)])

Agreed Wiz, however we were probably the biggest club in stature and finances at the time of Gunn being in charge (League 1)

Hughton may have a lot more financial backing than Gunn but look at the league we''re in and look at how much teams around are spending in comparison.

Under Gunn we were a big fish in a small pond, now under Hughton we''re a small fish in a big pond..

Are you trolling or do you genuinely think that the point you just made is valid?

Can''t work out if you''re the cleverest troll in the history of this forum or just a massive, massive idiot.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]

Agreed Wiz, however we were probably the biggest club in stature and finances at the time of Gunn being in charge (League 1)

Hughton may have a lot more financial backing than Gunn but look at the league we''re in and look at how much teams around are spending in comparison.

Under Gunn we were a big fish in a small pond, now under Hughton we''re a small fish in a big pond..

Are you trolling or do you genuinely think that the point you just made is valid?

Can''t work out if you''re the cleverest troll in the history of this forum or just a massive, massive idiot.

[/quote]

Yes, yes I do Lord.

Good read this one. In respect of the finances available, impossible to compare to Gunn''s time....BUT, when looking at all of the other clubs, lets say on spending over the last two seasons, then we are probably in the bottom two or three and our summer spending only really started to address things in terms of overall squad quality to where we need to be, and we need at least two more transfer windows to get to a decent level in terms of true depth and size of squad for this league.  As for Wiz, my view, definately a die hard Norwich City supporter, is not a troll and not an idiot, he is just a poster like all the rest of us who just happens to have views that some of us/a lot of us dont agree with most of the time, he is just for some reason an easy target for insults and the abuse that unfortunately spoils this board.         

[quote user="Indy"]

Of course I''m ranting Nutty, we just lost 5-1, we lost 4-0, 7-0, 4-1 ths season.

We play some of the most boring football in the premiership, we have the worst defence in the league and I''m bored to tears with Hughton & his tactics. Even he doesn''t know if he''s playing a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 he keeps saying it''s a FLUID 4-3-3, no it''s not, it''s a rigid 4-5-1 and we keep getting thumped!

I more confident we will lose by three goals than we have any chance of beating WBA. They will see this game as the one to win to get going, you can bet they will be at us from the word go and we have another player who loves to score against Norwich in Long!

And why do you say that a defeat to WBA would be his downfall, you have just said take out the top 6 clubs results Hughton is doing a good job, you said we are 4 points clear of the bottom 3 so why would you think a loss to WBA would be the downfall of Hughton?

It''s not just the results Nutty, the performances, the players past and present are having digs and even you can sense something is not quiet right with this management in charge at present!

As pinted out away attanedances are dropping, our home perfromances have been nothing but nervie and I for one never go to game thinking we will win this one, just go and hope we win! I keep pointing out that we are a third season club, we have a great base to build from, sticking by such a negative manager might be the undoing of all that Norwich have worked hard for!

[/quote]Nail. On. The. Head!

As I have said before and I will continue to say- people have extremely valid fears about relegation (imo if we stick with CH we''ll go down) and they are entitled to post them.

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="The Sensational Zak Cartman"][quote user="Indy"]

Current standing:

But only my opinion.

[/quote]

[/quote]

No Villa set up to defend and break with pace and they do, they break in packs and at pace. Villa have 19 points and a win at Arsenal......Villa have 0 goal diff, scored more and conceded less but yes they must be really lucky!

[/quote]

Utter nonsense to just put Villa''s wins down as ''flukes''. It''s absolutely no fluke that they tend to score when they do have posession, eventhough they have less posession than their opposition. Think of the goals we scored at the Hawthorns in our first season. Classic sucker punches, just as you see Villa doing in many of their games now. Not remotely flukey - it''s how their manager sets up to play. It doesn''t work all the time but it''s rather more effective than anything we do away from home.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Good read this one. In respect of the finances available, impossible to compare to Gunn''s time....BUT, when looking at all of the other clubs, lets say on spending over the last two seasons, then we are probably in the bottom two or three and our summer spending only really started to address things in terms of overall squad quality to where we need to be, and we need at least two more transfer windows to get to a decent level in terms of true depth and size of squad for this league.  As for Wiz, my view, definately a die hard Norwich City supporter, is not a troll and not an idiot, he is just a poster like all the rest of us who just happens to have views that some of us/a lot of us dont agree with most of the time, he is just for some reason an easy target for insults and the abuse that unfortunately spoils this board.         [/quote]

Thanks for that Mark.[Y]

I''ve always believed that Wiz does support Norwich, Mark, but when he gives such an extreme angle on things, which he appears adament about, yet provides no reasoning whatsoever... it leads me to draw to two conclusions..

You can still support Norwich and troll a Norwich forum right?

I''ve always believed that Wiz does support Norwich, Mark, but when he gives such an extreme angle on things, which he appears adament about, yet provides no reasoning whatsoever... it leads me to draw to two conclusions..

[/quote]

The second you suggested that I might be troll, or idiot Lord, you lost me and I switch off.

I’m sorry but that is complete nonsense Wiz IMO, you replied to me in the exact same vein of your initial post (adamant and blunt with no reasoning), and then I questioned you for some reasoning for this stance.. it was actually at this point that you decided to ‘lose me and switch off’

Furthermore, if somebody was making incorrect assumptions about me, I would go out of my way to prove them wrong, and I’m sure most other people would too. Especially when what being assumed is something negative (troll or idiot)..

All I’m asking is for some reasons as to why you think Hughton’s larger budget than Gunn is valid/relative?

I earn more money now than George Best in his prime; does this fact mean anything whatsoever?

I’d love you to change my opinion of you, seriously I would.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

........I keep reading on here, I even read tonight he was less competent than Gunn, how come we''re not bottom Or even in the bottom three. In fact we''re four points clear of the bottom three. How has this happened?[/quote]

When we lose at the weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.[/quote]

Defeatism is one of the worst traits I see on here.  So often we will talk things down, rather than look on the bright side.   After the 7-0 drubbing by MCity, we were low on confidence yet still managed to turn it round into an important victory in the next match.  So we should be looking forward to the next game and looking to consolidate with at least a draw away to help increase our distance from the bottom three. 

I thought we were outdone by one player tonight. Maybe we still stand off attackers too much, but that is down to the players, not Hughton.   They have to be stronger in standing up to opposing players, whatever their reputation and get stuck in.   Its as much down to confidence as much as anything and these constant high scores against us don''t help, but we are still clear of the bottom with some winnable games coming up.

[/quote]

I think its the apparent defeatism that comes from Hughtons team, particularly against the big boys, or indeed anyone with any kind of guile (see Luton last year) that has fans upset in the first place. If there is defeatism amongst the fans it is because the team has bred it

[/quote]

I was reading on the BBC website yesterday about teenagers who bully themselves by posting abusive messages on the web.  i.e. they create other accounts which they use to post abusive messages against their facebook etc profiles.  How bizarre.

But I was reminded of Wiz.  I also think he is probably a City fan, but he only ever posts on here to attack the club and often goes to desperate lengths to do, so e.g having a go at Stephen Fry for being an unsuitable person because the Daily Mail said so.

Perhaps Wiz is the true successor to Flann O''Brien:

"Most of his later writings were occasional pieces published in periodicals, which explains why his work has only recently come to enjoy the considered attention of literary scholars. O''Nolan was notorious for his prolific use and creation of pseudonyms for much of his writing, including short stories, essays, and letters to editors, which has rendered the compilation of complete bibliography of his writings an almost impossible task. He allegedly would write letters to the editor of The Irish Times complaining about his own articles published in that newspaper, for example in his regular Cruiskeen Lawn column, which gave rise to rampant speculation as to whether the author of a published letter existed or not. Not surprisingly, little of O''Nolan''s pseudonymous activity has been verified."

Incidentally, everyone should read "The Third Policeman"!!

[quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]

[/quote]

I was reading on the BBC website yesterday about teenagers who bully themselves by posting abusive messages on the web.  i.e. they create other accounts which they use to post abusive messages against their facebook etc profiles.  How bizarre.

But I was reminded of Wiz.  I also think he is probably a City fan, but he only ever posts on here to attack the club and often goes to desperate lengths to do, so e.g having a go at Stephen Fry for being an unsuitable person because the Daily Mail said so.

[/quote]

Sooooo Wiz could actually be Stephen Fry....

[;)]

Getting back to If Hughton is as bad.....

How come we''ve won 4 games this season and also kept 4 clean sheets?

[/quote]

Wow! and we''ve played how many games Nutty?...............and what about our goals against column ?

Hughton is not THAT bad. He''s just not that good either and out team has moved beyond him.

The answer to your second question is very simple. We''ve won games - and this is what some people are only just starting to appreciate - because we have a team and a squad that is good enough to win games in this division and to keep clean sheets in this division. Hughton deserves some credit for overseeing this. But he is also overseeing a rapidly growing divergence between what he is getting from his squad and what it should be capable off. He is treading water. And treading water in this division leads to only one thing. We need to progress. And Norwich City has progressed in many many ways in the last few years. Unfortunately, progress on the pitch has come to a grinding shuddering halt.

[quote user="Wiz"]The second you suggested that I might be troll, or idiot Lord, you lost me and I switch off.[/quote]What is it about the word "or" you don''t like Wiz? [:D]