Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

If Hughton is as bad as..

........I keep reading on here, I even read tonight he was less competent than Gunn, how come we''re not bottom Or even in the bottom three. In fact we''re four points clear of the bottom three. How has this happened?

and after the next 4 games we will be well clear, just the usual over reaction to defeat

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

........I keep reading on here, I even read tonight he was less competent than Gunn, how come we''re not bottom Or even in the bottom three. In fact we''re four points clear of the bottom three. How has this happened?

[/quote]When we lose at the weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]When we lose at the weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.[/quote]Do Fulham & Palace get 4 points for a win on Saturday then?

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]When we lose at the weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.[/quote]Do Fulham & Palace get 4 points for a win on Saturday then?[/quote]Apologies, misread the table.When we lose this and next weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

........I keep reading on here, I even read tonight he was less competent than Gunn, how come we''re not bottom Or even in the bottom three. In fact we''re four points clear of the bottom three. How has this happened?[/quote]

When we lose at the weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.[/quote]

Defeatism is one of the worst traits I see on here.  So often we will talk things down, rather than look on the bright side.   After the 7-0 drubbing by MCity, we were low on confidence yet still managed to turn it round into an important victory in the next match.  So we should be looking forward to the next game and looking to consolidate with at least a draw away to help increase our distance from the bottom three. 

I thought we were outdone by one player tonight. Maybe we still stand off attackers too much, but that is down to the players, not Hughton.   They have to be stronger in standing up to opposing players, whatever their reputation and get stuck in.   Its as much down to confidence as much as anything and these constant high scores against us don''t help, but we are still clear of the bottom with some winnable games coming up.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="K Lo"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]When we lose at the weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.[/quote]Do Fulham & Palace get 4 points for a win on Saturday then?[/quote]Apologies, misread the table.When we lose this and next weekend we''ll be in the bottom 3.[/quote]

That''s obviously what you think but I think it''s unlikely. But we could argue over how many points we''re likely to pick up in the next few weeks forever and it wouldn''t come close to answering my question. Why are we not in the bottom three now? And why weren''t we last season? Have we had easy fixtures and was last season easier? There must be a reason. 52 PL games are not a flash in the pan.

Nigel makes a very good point. You have to give the manager credit to be able to bounce back from these heavy defeats, a lesser man would have crumbled, probably resigned saying he wasn''t up to the task but our manager had the courage to face up to the task and motivate his players to come back and get the results that keep the club in good health.  

To those  who think everything is rosy and Hughton is ok to stay, and we wont get relegated.Are you really happy with the football served up week in week out, are you happy with the team selections. do you still look forward to going to football (for the football not for the social) each game.If you are all happy with that I take my hat off and understand why you have this love for Hughton.for me I am fed up with the crap and the only thing that will change our style of play is a change of manager

[quote user="lake district canary"]Defeatism is one of the worst traits I see on here.  So often we will talk things down, rather than look on the bright side.   After the 7-0 drubbing by MCity, we were low on confidence yet still managed to turn it round into an important victory in the next match.  So we should be looking forward to the next game and looking to consolidate with at least a draw away to help increase our distance from the bottom three.  [/quote]Cloud cockoo land

We are not bottom simply because football is a funny old game and we have nicked a few more points than those around us at this stage. But look hard at the goals against column...

OH LOOK- THE VERY WORST IN THE DIVISION

Just keep believing !

We are performing like the worst team in the league right now no question.

Certainly all those below us are showing for fight and ironically able to come away with more positives from defeats than we can from wins.

We were poor in both the West Ham and Palace games.

I do wonder at what point the weight of the negativity will be enough to convince the powers that be that Hughtons time is up.

I mean I really don''t know where the next point is coming from.

Our only hope is that there may be 3 poorer teams over a season, is that any recipe for success ?

I can''t put my finger on what is wrong but any belief there may have been in our squad is long gone.

I didn''t expect anything more from last night but as I said I think Hughton has lost the ability (if he ever had it) to motivate a team to perform.

I think I am beyond the Hughton out stage now,

I think he will go soon but wonder what damage he will have done to the players confidence.

I was in Leeds yesterday afternoon in previous years I would have moved heaven and earth to go to Anfield but we go exactly what I expected so thankfully I didn''t bother.

I pity those that have away season tickets (its not much better having a home one)

Which makes our position in the league even better, concentrate on the points they''re what matter the most.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I know what you''re saying Nutty, but if Hughton was that good how come he got pumped from Newcastle?

It''s not just about position is it, it''s like saying my rash is only on my foot at present I''ll wait to get it treated! Why wait, things are not right, they haven''t been right for nearly a year, we have payed some poor football, we all say we have the best squad in years and yet we look like a mid class championship side lucky to be in the premiership! Not a third season club....

On top of this a number of players current and past have criticised and questioned Hughton, it''s not good to have this in our club.

Just look at what we have, Cat1 youth status, yoth cup winners, scouts like Berg and some top class ex players in lower management roles like Robins and Adams. I would like to see a breath of fresh air into this stale old 1st team management, be it new coaching get rid of Trollop and Calderwood or a new manager. Sorry but I have fallen off my fence.

At the moment, when I look at the fixture list and see a ''big club'' coming up, my immediate thought is ''will we be able to keep the score under 4?'' I don''t like myself for it but it happens. Conversely, when I see a game against a mid or lower table on the horizon, my first thought is ''we should be able to scrap and get something out of this.'' My hunch is that the players are having the same reaction and it''s turning into a self fulfilling prophesy. The standing off when playing the big boys is probably all down to this fearful/negative mindset. Likewise, the digging deep we saw against West Ham, Stoke etc. is likely to be linked to a ''can do'' approach. My real concern is that any more of the former and we may lose the ability to dredge up the latter. All it could take is another Hull-like loss and all the Jenga bricks could come tumbling down.

Therefore the question for me is, ''is Hughton the man to bring about a change in mindset?'' At the moment, my feeling is that he probably isn''t but we need to make sure we can find a decent motivator before operating the ejector seat.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Just keep believing ! We are performing like the worst team in the league right now no question. Certainly all those below us are showing for fight and ironically able to come away with more positives from defeats than we can from wins. We were poor in both the West Ham and Palace games. I do wonder at what point the weight of the negativity will be enough to convince the powers that be that Hughtons time is up. I mean I really don''t know where the next point is coming from. Our only hope is that there may be 3 poorer teams over a season, is that any recipe for success ? I can''t put my finger on what is wrong but any belief there may have been in our squad is long gone. I didn''t expect anything more from last night but as I said I think Hughton has lost the ability (if he ever had it) to motivate a team to perform. I think I am beyond the Hughton out stage now, I think he will go soon but wonder what damage he will have done to the players confidence. I was in Leeds yesterday afternoon in previous years I would have moved heaven and earth to go to Anfield but we go exactly what I expected so thankfully I didn''t bother. I pity those that have away season tickets (its not much better having a home one)[/quote]

1) We are not performing like the worst team in the league. That, on form, must be Fulham.

2) The teams below us (like Fulham) are below us because over the 14 games so far, they have performed worse than us. Nobody likes getting thumped away on a regular basis but you can''t change the league table to suit an agenda.

3) We were poor in the games we won - if you can''t take positives from winning games when, in your words, we were poor, then you are possibly beyond help.

4) The weight of negativity? The board will make the decision when they feel that they need to or HAVE to, no amount of bleating will change that. Getting thumped at Liverpool doesn''t alter the fact that a change of manager is always a gamble, the board know this and I''m glad it''s them that make the decision and not you or I.

5) Don''t know where the next point is coming from - a bit melodramatic - we''ve won our last two home games. I''m hoping it''s Saturday though.

6) Hoping three teams are worse than us. Yep, me too. Is that a recipe for success? I''d suggest staying in the division would represent a modicum of success this season given what has come to pass so far.

7) The belief in the squad really is down to personal opinion, I mean, I don''t have a whole lot of faith in what we have available at present to compete with the top clubs, however, when we''ve been close to full strength we enjoyed decent spells against them so I''d say all isn''t lost on that front.

8) Yes, I agree, you are beyond Hughton Out. I also agree that I think he will be gone soon, however, I''ve been saying that for weeks and he is still here. With regard to the players, they still appear to be playing for him, indeed they kept going last night and managed to score a goal.

9) With regard to the season ticket, mate, if you don''t enjoy it, don''t go. Why put yourself through it? Spend your money on something you will enjoy, don''t think Hoots can help you with that one.

It’s about managers motivation and style and getting the most from your players, Hughton is failing to do that and deliver on the pitch.

I just thought as we all know Lambert and his style what this season has as a comparison between Lambert against Hughton just this season:

Signings this summer for Villa:

Aleksandar Tonev (Lech Poznan) Undisclosed

Jores Okore (FC Nordsjaelland) Undisclosed

Leandro Bacuna (FC Groningen) Undisclosed

Nicklas Helenius (Aalborg BK) Undisclosed

Antonio Luna (Sevilla) Undisclosed

Jed Steer (Norwich) Undisclosed

Libor Kozak (Lazio) Undisclosed

Signings this summer for Norwich:

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (Sporting Lisbon) Undisclosed

Javier Garrido (Lazio) Undisclosed

Nathan Redmond (Birmingham City) Undisclosed

Carlo Nash (Stoke City) Free

Martin Olsson (Blackburn Rovers) Undisclosed

Leroy Fer (FC Twente) Undisclosed

Gary Hooper (Celtic) Undisclosed

Johan Elmander (Galatasaray) Loan

Apart from Kozak I would have to say on paper far better signings made by Norwich and probably more money spent.

Current standing:

Played  Won      Drawn   Lost        GF          GA          PTS

Villa                        14           5              4              4              16           16           19

Norwich               14           4              2              7              12           28           14

Now I know it’s another Lambert v Hughton thread but considering he is an ex manager and Villa were a side full of older journeymen who were looking at Villa as a gravy train, I have to admit Lambert has done really well and by buying shrewd players with a few expensive signings thrown in.

But when you look at our so called manger who some bang on about how much more solid we look then I just point to the goals conceded by Villa! This is by a manager who is supposeidly not much nouse for defending.

I wonder what Lambert could do with our current squad? Would he be getting more out of them?

I can’t see how anyone can defend Hughton at this moment in time, he is not half the manger we had in Lambert and I am only using Villa as an example as they have our last manager who we know!

I am disappointed in Hugton and I thought I would never say this, but I would have Lambert back in a second if we had a choice! I was one of those who used to say he’s gone get over it and move on support Hughton, but not any more, not after another tonking!

But only my opinion.

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I know what you''re saying Nutty, but if Hughton was that good how come he got pumped from Newcastle?

It''s not just about position is it, it''s like saying my rash is only on my foot at present I''ll wait to get it treated! Why wait, things are not right, they haven''t been right for nearly a year, we have payed some poor football, we all say we have the best squad in years and yet we look like a mid class championship side lucky to be in the premiership! Not a third season club....

On top of this a number of players current and past have criticised and questioned Hughton, it''s not good to have this in our club.

Just look at what we have, Cat1 youth status, yoth cup winners, scouts like Berg and some top class ex players in lower management roles like Robins and Adams. I would like to see a breath of fresh air into this stale old 1st team management, be it new coaching get rid of Trollop and Calderwood or a new manager. Sorry but I have fallen off my fence.

[/quote]

At Newcastle?

You''ve just replied with the same old rants but haven''t even attempted to tell me how Hughton can continually attain a reasonable league position. A position which defies the claims of how bad he is. Surely you can come up with something other than what happened at Newcastle?

I would, maybe, claim that certainly one of the reasons we''re not in the bottom 3 is that Hughton or our scouting network are quite good in the transfer market. We have relatively decent balance throughout the side so with or without Hughton we always stand at least a chance against the teams around us. Certainly, our win over a team like Palace was down to us just having that little bit of extra quality in personnel in the first half - Hoolahan in that instance. A player, coincidently, primarily left out by the manager.

That''s probably a bit harsh. But viable.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At Newcastle?

You''ve just replied with the same old rants but haven''t even attempted to tell me how Hughton can continually attain a reasonable league position. A position which defies the claims of how bad he is. Surely you can come up with something other than what happened at Newcastle?

[/quote]

I bring up Newcastle as this ws his best as a manager and he still got pumped, the question should be why? The answer is stairing us in the face! He has no clue how to man manage, motivate and get players to play for him. This season I was defending him, sitting on the fence, but come on another big defeat, we didn''t just get promoted and there is no way we should be happy with that perfromance last night.

Even you with your very level head must question if Hughton is moving us on as a team or are we going backwards? We have after all spent more than ever and most will agree that the players we have should be better than they are! So do we just sit by and watch this hppen every other weekend or can we question why he''s still in charge?

The fact is most on here said give him 10 games, he''s had 14 and not really turned things around, we look worse now than we ever have. Scraped a couple of wins and that makes it all OK? At what point are you going to say enough? When we get relegated? or do you really thin we will end up on 45 points or more as you keep saying?

[quote user="dpit"]At the moment, when I look at the fixture list and see a ''big club'' coming up, my immediate thought is ''will we be able to keep the score under 4?'' I don''t like myself for it but it happens. Conversely, when I see a game against a mid or lower table on the horizon, my first thought is ''we should be able to scrap and get something out of this.'' My hunch is that the players are having the same reaction and it''s turning into a self fulfilling prophesy. The standing off when playing the big boys is probably all down to this fearful/negative mindset. Likewise, the digging deep we saw against West Ham, Stoke etc. is likely to be linked to a ''can do'' approach. My real concern is that any more of the former and we may lose the ability to dredge up the latter. All it could take is another Hull-like loss and all the Jenga bricks could come tumbling down.

Therefore the question for me is, ''is Hughton the man to bring about a change in mindset?'' At the moment, my feeling is that he probably isn''t but we need to make sure we can find a decent motivator before operating the ejector seat.[/quote]

Thanks as usual Dippity. My faith is restored. I too have concerns that eventually this losing mentality will transfer to other games. But the reality is that it hasn''t yet. I feel Hughton''s future will be decided by Christmas and the next four games will decide it. If we don''t get enough points from these games to maintain our position clear of the bottom three then I think the board will have to act. And I would support them fully. But if Hughton does his usual Houdini and we sit comfortably in mid-table at Christmas he will remain. And not only that but he will deserve to remain.

When you look at our goal difference it''s hard to believe that we''ve kept four clean sheets this season. But we have. And our record in games not including the big clubs sees us with a positive goal difference. And while that may sound bizzarre it''s that record which will determine our season.

West Brom away is a massive game for Hughton. They are one point ahead of us. They have won less games than us. Their only win in their last 8 games was at home to Palace. If we get tonked there I think Hughton will be toast. But if we win there....

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At Newcastle?

[/quote]

I bring up Newcastle as this ws his best as a manager and he still got pumped, the question should be why? The answer is stairing us in the face! He has no clue how to man manage, motivate and get players to play for him. This season I was defending him, sitting on the fence, but come on another big defeat, we didn''t just get promoted and there is no way we should be happy with that perfromance last night.

Even you with your very level head must question if Hughton is moving us on as a team or are we going backwards? We have after all spent more than ever and most will agree that the players we have should be better than they are! So do we just sit by and watch this hppen every other weekend or can we question why he''s still in charge?

The fact is most on here said give him 10 games, he''s had 14 and not really turned things around, we look worse now than we ever have. Scraped a couple of wins and that makes it all OK? At what point are you going to say enough? When we get relegated? or do you really thin we will end up on 45 points or more as you keep saying?

[/quote]

The reason I say 45/50 points is because that''s what I believe will happen. Why would I make it up. And why can''t you have a stab at answering the question Indy?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At Newcastle?

[/quote]

[/quote]

The reason I say 45/50 points is because that''s what I believe will happen. Why would I make it up. And why can''t you have a stab at answering the question Indy?

[/quote]

I have answered your question, I know the results are not as bad as some make out! I get that, we are 4 points above Palace & Fulham, but these clubs have responded by changing their manager, so we have to hope that Sunderland, Fulham and Palace carry on losing as many games as we do!

I also know that if you take out the big 6or7 teams we are doing OK, but in the same breath last year beting Man City, Arsenal & Man U gave us the points to stay clear of relegation.....we have not done that this year, we are getting hammered every time. To add to this is the dire dross served up by our players who can''t defend, don''t press play and have no idea how to play away from home!

I will wait for this weekends match, but I have no confidence that we will get anything other than a 3 goal hammerig yet again.

There is so much to be positive about at this club, yet staying up is the key to all of it, so let''s hope that your faith in Hughton and the board to stick by him is the right one. Not for me know, I have turned and want a new manager. Hell I want Lambert back if I could!

You haven''t even attempted to answer it Indy. You''re just ranting. If Hughton''s as bad as everyone makes out how are we four points clear of the bottom three and how did we finish 11th last season. Because whether you like it or not those are the things that Hughton will be judged on.

I think Saturday''s game is huge. If we get stuffed like you suggest then I reckon Hughton will be gone. How confident are you we will get stuffed though...

Interesting how we reached a similarly crucial, win at all costs game against the same opposition last season. That time we had to win to secure our status. This time, it''s likely we have to win to secure the manager''s status. I agree with you, one would imagine the argument is well and truly over if we lose there. And of course, this time, we''re away from home and WBA are rather less likely to be "on the beach" as they apparently were last time. 

I do have a funny feeling we might get something there though for the same reason that i had absolutely no doubt that we would be West Ham after our Etihad Humiliation. Is this our lot now do you think? Humiliation followed by plucky win, repeated. We''d stay up like that but i don''t think it''s sustainable.  

If it''s not sustainable we will end up in the bottom three anyway. Surely nobody can honestly believe that luck and this teams on the beach piffle can keep the worst manager in the league in mid-table? Take a step back from it and look at it objectively.

This board won''t allow us to be relegated without a fight. But they will also remain level headed about what we achieve. I have so much faith and trust in them because they have earned it.

Of course I''m ranting Nutty, we just lost 5-1, we lost 4-0, 7-0, 4-1 ths season.

We play some of the most boring football in the premiership, we have the worst defence in the league and I''m bored to tears with Hughton & his tactics. Even he doesn''t know if he''s playing a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 he keeps saying it''s a FLUID 4-3-3, no it''s not, it''s a rigid 4-5-1 and we keep getting thumped!

I more confident we will lose by three goals than we have any chance of beating WBA. They will see this game as the one to win to get going, you can bet they will be at us from the word go and we have another player who loves to score against Norwich in Long!

And why do you say that a defeat to WBA would be his downfall, you have just said take out the top 6 clubs results Hughton is doing a good job, you said we are 4 points clear of the bottom 3 so why would you think a loss to WBA would be the downfall of Hughton?

It''s not just the results Nutty, the performances, the players past and present are having digs and even you can sense something is not quiet right with this management in charge at present!

As pinted out away attanedances are dropping, our home perfromances have been nothing but nervie and I for one never go to game thinking we will win this one, just go and hope we win! I keep pointing out that we are a third season club, we have a great base to build from, sticking by such a negative manager might be the undoing of all that Norwich have worked hard for!

Blimey I was a bit concerned we might be agreeing on something but then I checked again

Define Tonked.

I can accept that if we get any kind of result against WBA that however dire the manner of play it is continuing to be effective and may keep us up. However much I hate watching it.

But lose by 2 goals or more ?

Please clarify.

If we get tonked at WBA I believe he will be gone. Am I not allowed that opinion? Hughton has got us out of the bottom three under very difficult circumstances. He deserves credit for that. But if we go back into the bottom three or start to get tonked by the clubs around us it''s very difficult to make a case to keep him.