Sign in to follow this  
Chip20

Why do we 'discuss' on here?

Just a quick question, regardless of what you feel about the manager''s position or anything going on at the Club. I am interested in why people post on here. Yes, I know it''s a ''discussion'' board and that is what it is there for. What I want to know is why. What do people hope to achieve?For my part,the main reason I use it is in the hope that I may come across some news or insight that hasn''t been reported in the press, or for people to draw my attention to interesting NCFC related news that I haven''t seen. However, these are few and far between. Most posters appear to use it as a platform to air their views (i.e. the ''discussion'' element). I am curious as to what any one of you (whether pro or anti Hughton) actually gets out of posting on here? Not one of us has any influence over what happens, and I doubt a single poster has ever changed their opinion purely on an observation made by another poster, so what is the actual point? Is your intention to ''convert'' people with different views to your own way of thinking? Is it to nail your colours to the mast and then bask in a warm glow of satisfaction on the occasions when you can subsequently point to it and gloat? Is it simply cathartic to air your frustrations, either with the Club or with other posters?In summary, whenever you post on here, what are you hoping to achieve? What do you get out of it?

694 posts about news and insights suggests that this bpard must be teeming with them!

For me it is at times cathartic and at other times an opportunity to debate stuff that my wife really would rather I didn''t talk about at home!

Chip, as the great Bill Shankly said,

Football isn''t just a game,mist a way of life -

supporters of every club in every league in every country will always have something to say about their club, manager, Chairman, CEO and board, be it on a forum, at a match, or in the pub or sitting watching it on TV.

Because Shankly was right.

• Boredom
  • Preach their opinions
  • Take the pee
  • Make themselves feel important and pompous
  • Cause arguments for fun
  • Take out their bad day on somebody else
  • Some try and discuss seriously but it often ends up failing.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Because this community has a shared love of our football club. And because it''s fun and we enjoy it.

[/quote]This[Y]

I''m not discussing anything, I''m telling you stuff that''s indisputable and even if you have a counter argument I''ll just tell you the same stuff again and again until you have to give up and admit I''m right by not replying.

OK?

"John from the Tomorrow People"

Boredom

Preach their opinions

Take the pee

Make themselves feel important and pompous

Cause arguments for fun

Take out their bad day on somebody else

Some try and discuss seriously but it often ends up failing.

5 of those 7, plus what Yorkshire said!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I''m not discussing anything, I''m telling you stuff that''s indisputable and even if you have a counter argument I''ll just tell you the same stuff again and again until you have to give up and admit I''m right by not replying.

OK?

[/quote]

You are LDC and I claim my £5. [:D]

I think some posters or readers feel other posters ARE trying to change things, or achieve things, or indeed act like they are or should be involved in with the club, or think they could be doing better. The reality is, it is only a message board and the people who post are only fans with an interest in football and in interest in Norwich. Noone is expressing their expert opinion. Just their opinion. Discussion of football is surely part of the enjoyment? I personally dont know, and have never known any other Norwich fans in person, so this is my only opportunity to talk to other fans. I was a lurker on her for about 10 years before deciding to join one night whilst drunk and lonely as my family were away, and as I didnt receive any nastiness I kept on posting. I enjoy debating football with other people. I express my opinion, but Im not professing that my opinion is any superior to anyone elses, and I am not trying to achieve anything other than alleviating my own boredom  :)  This is only a messageboard, and I am fully aware of its insignificance!

[quote]So Chip, why did you post your post, asking people why they post on here ? [/quote]To satisfy my curiosity. I want to find out the different things people get out of contributing to this board (as opposed to just lurking). I posted three suggestions that come to mind and wondered whether I''ve guessed correctly or missed

anything. It seems that some post purely for the banter while others take things far more seriously.Given that merely writing things on this board will have no tangible effect on the Club we are discussing, I wondered whether people rant and vent purely because it is cathartic or do people genuinely feel their voice may heeded? Do some people just want somebody else to validate their opinion (i.e engender a sense of community or reassurance) or do they want to try and get others who disagree with them to change their minds? Sometimes I sense that people are expressing their anxiety over any given situation and just want somebody else to convince them as to why they have no need to worry. Other times I feel that some people have entrenched views and want to get everybody else to agree with them. I also imagine that some are mischief makers and post inflammatory remarks merely for the satisfaction of the ''bites'' they provoke. As I mentioned before, some people post on here merely to share some interesting information they have found outside this discussion board.I detect one or two ''touchy'' or defensive responses to my enquiry. We rarely do anything without a motive of some sort and I am genuinely  interested in people''s varied reasons for posting. There are posters of all ages and backgrounds here and people will have all sorts of reasons for documenting their thoughts, potentially for eternity, on here. There may be many factors I hadn''t previously considered and I am interested in what they may be. Personally, my own contributions usually point out what I perceive to be flaws in

people''s contentions in the hope that they can either acknowledge my point or enlighten me as to why I am wrong. I am not conceited enough to believe I am always

right. In my 36 years on this planet I have frequently been proven

wrong and I am always interested in viewpoints that challenge my existing assumptions. I therefore appreciate that others put their own

views forward on this board because I am frequently made aware of things I hadn''t

previously considered.

Good subject.....

As an ex-pat I just like keeping in touch with Norwich City supporters and in particularly hearing all of the different opinions, particularly from those who have been to the game and who''s opinions I respect (in particular Ricardo). I enjoy the friendly debates (and some of the not so friendly one''s) and to be honest also love a bit of gossip, although there isnt much of that....BUT, I dont come on here to be called names or be slagged off just because I have a different opinion or make a suggestion, or to have my spelling corrected.  

John from the Tomorrow People wrote the following post at 06/12/2013 1:40 PM:

Boredom

Preach their opinions

Take the pee

Cause arguments for fun

Verily I say all of these, but I mainly joined to vent my spleen at the way I saw Hughton taking us backwards. Also, to irritate a group of posters who seemed to think the board existed to provide a private forum for their own little group of mates. I was also interested to observe the way that certain posters got ganged up upon and thought I would provoke a bit of that myself to see how it works? it''s fascinating!

[quote user="Vanwink"]John from the Tomorrow People wrote the following post at 06/12/2013 1:40 PM:

Boredom

Preach their opinions

Take the pee

Cause arguments for fun

Verily I say all of these, but I mainly joined to vent my spleen at the way I saw Hughton taking us backwards. Also, to irritate a group of posters who seemed to think the board existed to provide a private forum for their own little group of mates. I was also interested to observe the way that certain posters got ganged up upon and thought I would provoke a bit of that myself to see how it works? it''s fascinating![/quote]

Which posters Vanwink???

Name names you big fairy!!!!

Chip20, my reasons echo yours precisely.The ranting, raving, swearing contributions do not entertain me in the least, although others are apparently entertained.

I love contributions from ''proper'' supporters, e.g Ricardo & Nutty, people who have been through the wringer with NCFC many times & have learned to be philosophical about the beautiful game.

Some posters can be downright funny. Mr Chops is usually good for a chuckle, & sometimes a right chortle. Humour is I find, essential for survival in a ridiculous world.

I only initiate posts (infrequently) if I think they might be informative or of interest to others in some way. My posts in reply are often reflective, meandering & inconclusive - thinking out loud, really. I can, & often do, modify my opinions after reading other arguments. if they''re well reasoned.

Rants have completely the opposite effect.

Joined in 2009 because I was getting fed up with the incessant negative clap-trap that appears on here and it seemed to me that the negative doom and gloom types try to dominate the board and will try to nullify anything that is remotely positive from anybody.  It is never really far from the surface and reflects the nature of a board like this.   I like to redress the balance as much as I can so that at least I feel I am doing my bit to put the other side of the argument - and there is always another, usually more positive side, to the argument.   

That way the negative charlies don''t have it their own way - and why should they.