Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Could we have stopped Suarez? Apparently not.

Taken from main BBC Sport website.

Could the Canaries have stopped Suarez?

Liverpool striker  Luis Suarez

The Canaries did not actually start that badly

against Liverpool, but they just had no way of stopping Luis Suarez once

he got going.

Suarez scored four superb goals and I don''t think you

can say the Norwich defending was at fault. For example with his goal to

complete his hat-trick, he lobbed it over Leroy Fer and went to do the

same to the next defender.

If you are a defender, the first thing you do is take a

step back and go ''you''re not lobbing me''. Then he threatened to hit it

on the volley but let it bounce and smacked it in with a semi-sliced

half-volley instead. It was just brilliant and you cannot legislate for

that.

No, no, that can''t be right. Everyone on here was saying that our £3-5 million defenders should have closed down their £40-50 million striker.Makes you wonder why clubs pay that sort of money for a striker when he can be so easily stopped by any old Tom, Dick or Harry.

[quote user="ricardo"]No, no, that can''t be right. Everyone on here was saying that our £3-5 million defenders should have closed down their £40-50 million striker.Makes you wonder why clubs pay that sort of money for a striker when he can be so easily stopped by any old Tom, Dick or Harry.[/quote]

I wonder if Man City thought the same about their forwards after they had lost 3-2 at Cardiff?

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"][quote user="ricardo"]No, no, that can''t be right. Everyone on here was saying that our £3-5 million defenders should have closed down their £40-50 million striker.Makes you wonder why clubs pay that sort of money for a striker when he can be so easily stopped by any old Tom, Dick or Harry.[/quote]

I wonder if Man City thought the same about their forwards after they had lost 3-2 at Cardiff?[/quote]If they played that game 20 times how many do you think Cardiff would win?

The moaning on here was because it was yet ANOTHER humiliating pounding from a big team. If it hadn''t happened so regularly under Hughton you wouldn''t have seen this type of backlash on here. People needed to vent their frustrations, yeah, with Suarez in that form he probably was unstoppable but the amount of submissive humpings we''ve taken under Hughton has been completely unacceptable! This doesn''t happen as regularly to other teams, even the newly promoted ones, that''s why people were incensed, not because of that particular match

pretty sure the goal from the corner could have been stopped given the assist came from gerrard who managed to get 8-10 yards away from anyone in a yellow shirt and flick it on with his head whilst everyone stood there watching him

but hughtons done such a great job with the defence so we wont mention that

[quote user="im spartacus"]How the heck some people can excuse capitulation after capitulation, cos that''s what it has been this season away from home, is amazing [:D][/quote]Best sign some decent defenders or there''ll be more to come.

In seeking to address the question in the first part of the title, it is clear that Norwich has defensive frailties otherwise we would not have witnessed it repetitively in games in both unnecessarily conceding goals as well as giving the ball away cheaply. With respect to the specific question in the Liverpool match I fail to see, if you have clearly watched the game carefully ( including replays if you have access ) how it can be argued that we could not have been more effective than we were on four of the Liverpool goals. 1st goal - Fer takes a wild swing with his leg which would have been embarrassing in a much lower division.2nd goal - Look at the three defenders standing in a relatively stationary position yards away while Gerrard moves towards the ball unchecked.3rd goal - Watch Hoolahan closely when the ball is first played back to Suarez high on his chest. Hoolahan actually slows down and moves away from Suarez. Okay Fer got done in but Bennett should have at least have attempted to put his boot in.5th goal - Three defenders move towards Suarez, obviously under directions to at least double up on him. The first man does not go in leaving the other two standing back watching to see what will happen. You would think, by this juncture, they would know what will happen. The fourth defender in the middle is standing admiring Suarez, also waiting to see what will happen and not paying attention to Sterling until it''s too late.We are not failing to pressure because of our inferior ability. We are simply failing to pressure.The issue is not whether we will we struggle against world class strikers like Suarez. Any team will struggle to contain such a striker. However, if we do not do all that we can to defend we will go down in history ( as we now have ) to be the continuing automatic passport for a Suarez hat-trick and more.I would only say to those who use the excuse of there''s no stopping such world class strikers, wake up and listen to what the manager is saying. I''m not convinced by Hughton overall but on this match he was correct.

Do the players deliberately ignore the instructions they are given or do their best to follow the instructions they are given, only to be lamblasted after the game??

I would suggest the players follow the instructions they are given, just as any employee would do to ensure their continued employment (selection) and we;ve probably all been blamed by a manager who is not prepared to accept responsibility for their own shortcomings!!

[quote user="Ray"]Do the players deliberately ignore the instructions they are given or do their best to follow the instructions they are given, only to be lamblasted after the game??

I would suggest the players follow the instructions they are given, just as any employee would do to ensure their continued employment (selection) and we;ve probably all been blamed by a manager who is not prepared to accept responsibility for their own shortcomings!![/quote]

Players have responsibilities and have to live up to them, just as any employee has to. Suarez was just "in the mood" and pretty much unplayable.  Easy to say, I know, but we would have to be at our best to stop him and player confidence is still fragile after some of the recent away results.  You could call it a perfect storm - apart from him, we were not that bad, not great, but kept composure and kept battling. 

And I reckon Hughton follows McNally''s instructions and he probably takes his lead from Delia. They all send the team out to fail just to pee off the supporters.

Great post Yankee[Y] Why do we defend differently against these top sides. It''s not all about them having better players. In our other games we''ve kept 4 clean sheets and defended reasonably well in the rest. It''s too simplistic to blame the back four, while they haven''t always covered themselves in glory it''s difficult to be the last line if the runners are getting through too easily like Saurez did. Players have to think for themselves sometimes too. As with Gerrard if we''re defending zonally and an attacker runs into space it has to be someones job to go with him or to block his run. Wednesday was a promising performance totally spoiled by glaring mistakes at the back.

LDC,

So we agree then players are expected to live up to their responsibilties, one of which is to do as they are asked by their manager.

i also agree he was on fire on Wednesday and could have been unstoppable whatever we did.