Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

World Cup Hopes

So the draw is in an hour, what do we hope for?

Also, what Norwich representatives do you think we''ll have?

Bassong doesn''t seem to be as popular for Cameroon any more, Ruddy is playing his way out of England reckoning, RVW hasn''t done anything to cement his place and the swedish duo are now out of the tournament.

That leaves Leroy Fer. Now he''s establishing himself in the dutch team, not just the squad. It''d be nice for us to have someone to cheer on once England inevitably get knocked out!

Lose to Uruguay and Italy and a draw against Costa Rica will mean the first available plane home.

I just hope that McNally does not see that scenario as the time to implement his Plan B. [:P]

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Group GUruguayCosta RicaEnglandItalyItaly game in the jungle.....[+o(][/quote]Is it too late to get a tenner on Suarez for the golden boot? [:D]Italy as an unseeded team despite being seventh in the current FIFA rankingsYep it''s gonna be a good World Cup and with the only 2am ko I might just miss engerlands appearance.

potentially not that bad if we can get out of the groupid rather play Italy first than lastthe harder game will be Uruguay, all that heat and the zombie striker

[quote user="iron_stan"]potentially not that bad if we can get out of the group

id rather play Italy first than last

the harder game will be Uruguay, all that heat and the zombie striker
[/quote]

England play Uruguay in Sao Paulo which has average temps around 22 degrees in July so that shouldn''t be a problem. The game against Italy will be in around 90% humidity so that will be a nightmare for both England and Italy.

We could be in a group with The Vatican City, Isle of White and Tristan da Cuna and still not qualify.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="iron_stan"]potentially not that bad if we can get out of the groupid rather play Italy first than lastthe harder game will be Uruguay, all that heat and the zombie striker[/quote]

England play Uruguay in Sao Paulo which has average temps around 22 degrees in July so that shouldn''t be a problem. The game against Italy will be in around 90% humidity so that will be a nightmare for both England and Italy.

[/quote]Manaus --> Sao Paolo = approx 2400 miles Brazil is a huge country, why on earth are teams expected to travel such ludicrous distances during group stages it''s madness. Looking at the fixtures England have four days in which they play Uruguay and Italy and make the 2400 mile journey between venues mind you Woy has already upset the Mayor of Manaus so they''ll not want to be there longer than they have to.

Italy tend to scrape through the group stages, Uruguay are not Brazil and Costa Rica under 5 million population must surely be pants, so I''m going for a group winners spot for England. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Italy tend to scrape through the group stages, Uruguay are not Brazil and Costa Rica under 5 million population must surely be pants, so I''m going for a group winners spot for England. [/quote]

I see your positive thinking isn''t just limited to NCFC. Uruguay were fairly useless in qualfying, the lowest placed of the South American teams and they needed a play-off versus New Zealand. Suarez and Cavani are great players (although Cavani hasn''t produced much for Uruguay) but they have pretty much no defence. Italy are probably favourites to top the group - but there is a lot of football to be played between now and the World Cup and injuries willl probably have a big say on what happens in this group.

Just remember that The Frogs were 2-0 down after the first leg of their play off to qualify and have ended up in a group that could not be easier.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just remember that The Frogs were 2-0 down after the first leg of their play off to qualify and have ended up in a group that could not be easier.[/quote]

Switzerland, Equador and Honduras. [:''(]

Quite a challenging group, but certainly not the end of the world. England actually have quite a good record of getting through tough groups at competitions, think of Euro 2012, World Cup 2002 etc. I predict England to win the group with 7 points, win against Uruguay and Costa Rica, draw against Italy.

I actually think we''ll get through the group. The first game in the heat and humidity of the rainforest against Italy will surely be a 0-0 draw. I think we''ll beat Costa Rica in what will probably be a must win game (as always) and scrape a nail biting 1-0 win. The game against Uruguay will be the key. It''ll probably be a draw, but if John Ruddy starts Saurez might have a field day.... He usually does against Ruddy.

The USA group looks devastating but we have reason to expect to advance. Klinnsman knows the German game and worked for their creepy looking manager before.

Ghana knocked us out of the last 2 WCs so are due for an all-American butt kicking.

Portugal only made it via playoff so are not necessarily a favorite. Sure, they speak the local language but as former colonial masters, may not be so welcome by the locals. As fellow Americans with a German manager we should be quite popular.