Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

Do we really need a striker ?

As we need to shore up the defence after the Anfield debacle, and our strikers never seem to score, and given that a 1-0 win would do us, would Hughton not consider not playing any strikers and utilising an extra defender, on the basis that the ex-binner Mc Auley can always be relied upon to chip in with his customary own-goal for Norwich ?

No we don''t.

RVW, Hooper and Elmander are perfectly good options. Those three aren''t getting much in the way of service, no point spending more money on strikers when we have two good goal scorers and a couple of target men/workers in Elmander/Becchio. Need to sort out the system and defence. Hooper now on 3 goals, I''m sure RVW will start scoring once he''s back (he was improving game by game, like Hooper, before his injury.).

Did you even bother reading the OP Gingerpele? The question wasn''t whether we need to buy another striker but whether we need to play a striker at all. I think 5-5-0 is the OP''s suggested formation.

Well, KC, you are right(ish) . My OP was not meant to be taken too seriously. It was more of a dig at Gareth Mc Auley , what with him having previously worn the blue shirt, and all that.

Cue for him to have an absolute blinder for Albion this afternoon......

I''m all for a ''try it and see'' attitude when things aren''t working but a couple of things to think about..........that strategy doesn''t appear to have worked for Big Sam.......CH has been classed as wrong for not playing 2 up front.......How would the Baggies view that set up? Would we be under the cosh from the word go?Our defenders haven''t become bad defenders over the past few weeks and hopefully have put in some work on the training ground to get back to basics.Today is as a good an opportunity as any to go for a win.

Tongue in cheek the thread may be, but we sold one of our best non-scoring strikers.  Jackson.  Someone who can run around lots and create space for others.   You might as play someone like that and bring others in to play to score the goals, rather than play with no striker at all.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Tongue in cheek the thread may be, but we sold one of our best non-scoring strikers.  Jackson.  Someone who can run around lots and create space for others. [/quote]To be fair, we''ve replaced Jackson with lots of other players who can

run around a lot without scoring.  In fact, it''s one thing our entire

team are rather good at.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I know that. Bit sad when you have to explain a joke though isn''t it?[/quote]

Didn''t think it was that complex a gag, tbh, KC.

I thought anything that had a dig at an ex binner was fair game on this site. But evidently not.......