Sign in to follow this  
channonswindmill

Captain and leader

Just for a minute to suppress the negative vibe, is there anyone in a yelllow shirt who has made a step forward this season? So far, for me its Howson; the next manager (and I am very much in that camp) should appoint him as captain. Both Martin and Bassongs appointments are based on previous seasons merits not their performance in their respective roles this season; both have been poor and I would question that if they are a true leader on the pitch. Howson, Leeds youngest ever captain, is in the right place on the park to have more of an influence on the whole team, could be the key imo. Martin is good at the PR stuff , Bassong is too laid back, for me Howson is one of the very few positives this season, coupled with Redmonnd.

Could be a poison chalis. I would leave it with one of the senior (in age) players. Most of the squad respect and look up to RM, so if iIwere to make a change I would make him Captain and relieve Seb.

[quote user="channonswindmill"]Just for a minute to suppress the negative vibe, is there anyone in a yelllow shirt who has made a step forward this season? So far, for me its Howson; the next manager (and I am very much in that camp) should appoint him as captain. Both Martin and Bassongs appointments are based on previous seasons merits not their performance in their respective roles this season; both have been poor and I would question that if they are a true leader on the pitch. Howson, Leeds youngest ever captain, is in the right place on the park to have more of an influence on the whole team, could be the key imo. Martin is good at the PR stuff , Bassong is too laid back, for me Howson is one of the very few positives this season, coupled with Redmonnd.

,[/quote]

I was thinking today that the hole left by Grant Holt will have been a big one to fill - not on the field so much as off it.  He was a big influence and some would say that he had as much influence over our successful three year spell as Lambert did.  So a difficult personality to replace and I have to agree that the jury is out on Bassong - who actually appears a good communicator during matches, but maybe less of an influence off it.  Who knows, he may be a great captain given time.  Martin too is a class act but not in the same mould as Holt was.  As for Howson, you can tell that Hughton has been working with him to fulfil his potential - there was talk a while ago how during a pre-season match, Hughton spent a lot of time communicating and directing Howson.  So maybe that is to Hughton''s credit.  Redmond is certainly a Hughton fan - the main reason we got him at all.   As for Howson, I certainly agree he has been a positive and a possible future captain for us, or anyone else, if he ever moves on.

LDC

I can''t divulge too much but IMO Holt was not a great captian off the field, i would call him a fanatstic Talisman but a long way from a natural leader of men.

I suppose if there''s a new manager we may get away with it and I do think Howson is a good call. But really we would still need someone to take control of the back four. What we have now doesn''t seem to be working as in the goals we have conceded from crosses into the 6 yard box. The problem, as I see it is it''s a big deal to relieve someone of the armband especially if it''s an important player we really need motivated for the remainder of the season.

Nutty,

I agree it is a big decision to relieve a current Captain, but the form of the current nominated Captain has not been as it was last year, is this to do with the extra responsibility, who know but I''m sure it could be done sensitively with good PR and we could all benefit from a return to his top form, I don''t think it would affect his performances negatively, not if he has the team at heart.

[quote user="Ray"]Nutty,

I agree it is a big decision to relieve a current Captain, but the form of the current nominated Captain has not been as it was last year, is this to do with the extra responsibility, who know but I''m sure it could be done sensitively with good PR and we could all benefit from a return to his top form, I don''t think it would affect his performances negatively, not if he has the team at heart.[/quote]

I''d hope that to be the case. And if our defensive frailties is partly down to leadership then maybe the man would suggest it himself. But a lot of the leadership should happen without the armband anyway. I think we''ve got a very tight knit group of players. You could see their reaction when they were booed off against Cardiff. If this ridiculous unrest continues I hope they develop a siege mentality. That could work wonders.

Nutty,

Seige mentality, let''s hope so but a seige agianst what (or who), that is the question.

I''m off now, intend to fall aslepp counting sheep or watching our batsmen in the Ashes (and we think NCFC have problems)!!

Take care all and dream of a convincing away win.

Ray (oh shit another wicket down).

Leroy Fer should get the captaincy in my opinion, he optimizes what being a captain is all about, a vocal player who works hard on and off the pitch and will do anything to win.

You have to look at someone who is not only inspirational to the 11 men out on the pitch but for the club itself and all of its employees and of course the fans.

I don''t think Bassong or Martin really fall into that category.

Howson was bought in to eventually replace Holt as captain, whether he is gonna be better than Fer at that role NOW is something I dont know. We were not shopping for players like Fer when Howson was brought in.

If Fer was made capitan it might actually mean we can keep hold of him for longer in our team, before he moves onwards and upwards.

Thought Turner might have been a good choice tbh. Being PPOTS shows you how highly the players rate him.

Howson has been our best player this season though and always works hard for the team.

its a tough one - the natural leader does not need an armband to take that role and this season shows we simply dont have one in teh squad.

The heavy defeats have highlighted both that heads drop but also that there is no one driving the team to keep their heads up and drive on. exactly where we need it irrespective of whether martin or seb have an armband.

As good as two suggestions, Fer and howson, have been this season neither have shown leadership in these situations - if anything boths performances have dipped and shown the other reaction; becoming in effective and hiding from the ball

The only one with drive desire and a willingness to want the ball is wes, but I am not sure he is captain material either.

Leave it where it is and by cen def who can bring that or hope either fer ro howson change their inconsistency in the face of adversity.