Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Defensive combinations

We''ve tried several different combinations in central defence, Turner Bassong,  Bennett Turner, Bassong Bennett.   However, I''m struggling to remember if we have tried Martin and Bassong as a central pairing.    I have been impressed in the past with Martin in central defence and I think he could work well with Bassong as they are both good communicators.  Also, for me Bennett was at fault for the first goal on Wednesday - practically turning his back and letting Suarez have the space he needed to do whatever he wanted and it set the tone for the rest of that match.

So have we used Martin and Bassong together and if so did it work?  It would allow one of our other good players to be in the team too - Whtittaker.So back four of - Whittaker Martin Bassong Ollson.  Worth a try, surely?

Is this some sort of sick wind up?

After Wednesday Nights abject performance I think we should revert back to our best two and most experienced central defenders, Turner and Bassong.

R Martin, especially away from home has proved to be some what out of his depth this season. We are asking for trouble if we put him at centre back.

Although I do agree perhaps we could benefit from bringing in Whittaker for a few matches and drop Martin to the bench.

No we haven''t tried Martin and Bassong together. It''s always been Martin and Turner or Martin and Bennett. Could be worth a try as I too have thought about this pairing. Would be a little harsh on Bennett again though.

LDC,

Like it by I would go further and play as follows;

Whitts - 2 from Seb, Bennett, or Turner - Olsson

Martin

Fer Howson

Murphy Redmond

RVW (when fit)

This allows the FBs to bomb on with RM

dropping into a back three, the pacey tricky wingers with FB support can then get to the by line and cross with Fer and Howson getting up (quickly) to feed of RVW, plus of course the other winger with the unused FB dropping in to help cover the defence.

Also allows us a back 5 with 3 CBs when defending, so we shouild themn eliminate some of the sloppy goals we have conceded.

I would chose RM for the holding role over any of the other three CBs as he can take up a full back role if apprpriate and is probably better at reading the game (IMO)

Just play Turner and Bassong together. They are by far the best centrebacks at the club and were superb for us last season.

martin is only ever a make shift centre half, even if the others are out of form ( as much down to changes and non existent cm protection?) Agree with GJP, turner and bassong to start - new signing in Jan or teh summer desperately needed.

The really sad thing is that both our so called best centre backs, Turner and Bassong, are other premier league club reject players. Worrying!!!