Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What is the solution to getting the best out of RvW?

With RvW nearing a return to fitness, it is clear that we havent got the best out of him. I feel its more that simply him adjusting to the league, I feel we are not playing to his strengths. So imagine you''re the boss, you have a small pot of money in January for new players. What do you do to get the most out of your record signing?

Without RVW having had long standing game time, I do not think this question is answerable at this time.

I do not see him coming in either for the Swansea match - his time will be built from the bench slowly to alleviate aggravating the injury he has had and/or cause another - the best from RVW won''t be this season for me - and depends on what happens at the end of this season!

Using wingers who can get round the back of defenders and pull the ball back from the by-line.(Redmond, Benno when fit, Pilks when fit, Josh)

Pick someone who can slide passes through for him to run on to. Wes, Fer.

If the above are unavailable, then sign someone in January.

I think the 4-3-3 that was used for a few games before Tettey''s injury was the formation for him.

It''s hard to chart any progress that players or the team are making this season with the number of injuries happening to important players at crucial times.

[quote user="Salopian"]Using wingers who can get round the back of defenders and pull the ball back from the by-line.(Redmond, Benno when fit, Pilks when fit, Josh).[/quote]This is exactly it. I watched him at Sporting once the deal was announced and a large amount of his goals were as a result of quick wingers getting past the full back and either playing low pull backs, or out swinging crosses.Earlier in the season it was bloody infuriating watching him drop back and lose his marker, be in loads of space only for our wingers to either blaze a shot over or inswing a cross right into the keepers arms.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]With RvW nearing a return to fitness, it is clear that we havent got the best out of him. I feel its more that simply him adjusting to the league, I feel we are not playing to his strengths. So imagine you''re the boss, you have a small pot of money in January for new players. What do you do to get the most out of your record signing?[/quote]

I like RVW but its the same situation as Hooper.

To get the best out of him we need to turn the defence and ping that ball in there with pace.

This means in our current system playing the faster wingers and playing them on their actual side so they can cross whilst the defence is still running back facing their goal.

At the moment the forwards are either backs to goal or waiting swamped for someone to cut back in or in the case of poor Snoddy waiting for him to get there.

Lambert would play such players further up the pitch so they could receive the ball in an advanced area so the need for pace was negated as much as possible.

So if we carry on playing the same style we need to have very fast wingers and maybe a midfielder who can break with pace. Or swap RVW for someone who can turn and run with the ball but those guys cost a load of money and that needs size, pace and technique.

Play back four of;;

Whitts - (2 from - Bass - Turner - Bennett) - Olsson

Martin in front of back four, allowing Whitts and Olsson to bomb on leaving a back three

In front of Martin - Fer - Howson

Then two pacey tricky wingers; Murphy - Redmond

RVW up front

With FB''s bombing on, wingers going to the line, Fer and Hoson and un used FB and winger can maraud into the box to feed off RVW who will get his head on the crosses from the byline, this puts (up to) 6 players in and/or around the box whist keeping a reasonably solid back three.

Obviously we may not send all six up at any one time, maybe one of the FBs or Fer or Howson to hold back to protect the back three.

It also gives us the opportunuity to have a back five with 3 CBs when defending, which hopefully will stop some of the goasl we are conceding.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 06/12/2013 1:56 PM:

I think the 4-3-3 that was used for a few games before Tettey''s injury was the formation for him.

It''s hard to chart any progress that players or the team are making this season with the number of injuries happening to important players at crucial times.

Nothing could be further from the truth! Inverted wingers that drag the full backs into the centre of the pitch and close any possibilities of meaningful through balls and crosses put in with the ''wrong'' foot to the centre of the defence for them to nod away. This is the hardest possible way for a striker to shine, not just RvW, any striker.

Salopian wrote the following post at 06/12/2013 1:49 PM:

Using wingers who can get round the back of defenders and pull the ball back from the by-line.(Redmond, Benno when fit, Pilks when fit, Josh)

Spot on! Plus if you have wingers wide it creates more space in the centre for the strikers to work in.

I suspect to get the best out of RvW and the squad in general we should use the January window to release Elmander, sell Johnson, Snodgrass, Garrido and Bassong. Replace them with players with some pace and passing ability.The temptation to play these players is clearly too strong for some managers and it is not doing us or RvW any favours.A consistent center back is more important than a Bassong with his one clanger for every bit of good play. Snodgrass doesn''t have the pace to be a PL wide man and his delivery is one in ten- not much more useful than Lee Croft really. Johnson can''t pass and isn''t half the player he seemed when he first arrived (Matty Pattison springs to mind). Garrido we might just get a little money for that would be more useful than him sitting on the bench and he shouldn''t be in front of Olsson under any circumstances.Fer and Howson need to be played in a central 3 with a holding player such as Tettey (I suspect Bassong mught actually be good at that role too but we''ll never know) This is signing priority number one for me. Wes has shown he can also do a job if Howson or Fer are out.I''d be tempted to have EB/Redmond and Olsson left and right as they can both play well at both ends of the flanks and deliver a good cross.2 up front. RvW and Hooper or Pilks.A back 4 of Martin, Bennet, Turner and Whittaker would want some strengthening or at least cover.Oh yeah- and a manager who can set up a team with belief and confidence.Just my 2p.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]With RvW nearing a return to fitness, it is clear that we havent got the best out of him. I feel its more that simply him adjusting to the league, I feel we are not playing to his strengths. So imagine you''re the boss, you have a small pot of money in January for new players. What do you do to get the most out of your record signing?[/quote]

The best way would be to get a manager that knows what he''s doing.

Can someone tell me what his injury is??? If it''s a broken toe why did he spend 10 mins warming up against Cardiff (actually he just stood on the line watching the game) and then came on for the last two minutes. Also a broken toe would have healed by now!

Just very confused that he as spent sooooo much time injured with this mysterious (IMO) toe!

Solution might be to play Fer higher up the pitch where he can run at the opposition from central area''s. Perhaps playing Fer & Wes just behind RvW trying to play short defence testing passes. Fer is better in an attacking position using his ability to hurt defences, Hes not a defensive midfielder!

If he stayed injury free and signed for either Swansea, Everton or Villa I''d bet my life he''d be in double figures already this season or at least near to it. The guy is absolutely lethal with regular service. Any sort of criticism towards RVW so far this season is complete bullsh1t

Feeding him decent balls is the answer.

How? More attacking minded midfielder and balls fed in from the wings.

Can we do it? Yes! Howson when further up the field when playing with Fer without Johnson upsetting that apple cart.

Redmond, after Wednesday night, proved he can cross a decent ball in from the left side.

Snodgrass and Pilks on their day can reek havoc.

It''s all about the balance and it''s there but so far, we''ve not had the best of squad available to see this happen. There is a blend but always 2 parts or more of jigsaw missing

Unless my memory is failing me, before his injury he was gradually settling in, he was looking the part, and the team was starting to create more for him. So, clearly if and when he comes back more of the same improvement both from him and the team is what is required. This side has had too many injuries in key positions for us to really know exactly where we would be now without them,both in terms of RVW and team play..... its all been a bit disrupted and make shift at times hasnt it. 

[quote user="Ray"]Play back four of;;

Whitts - (2 from - Bass - Turner - Bennett) - Olsson

Martin in front of back four, allowing Whitts and Olsson to bomb on leaving a back three

In front of Martin - Fer - Howson

Then two pacey tricky wingers; Murphy - Redmond

RVW up front

With FB''s bombing on, wingers going to the line, Fer and Hoson and un used FB and winger can maraud into the box to feed off RVW who will get his head on the crosses from the byline, this puts (up to) 6 players in and/or around the box whist keeping a reasonably solid back three.

Obviously we may not send all six up at any one time, maybe one of the FBs or Fer or Howson to hold back to protect the back three.

It also gives us the opportunuity to have a back five with 3 CBs when defending, which hopefully will stop some of the goasl we are conceding.[/quote]
I would like to see this system given a go, I think it has merit.

[quote user="Thorny"]

Snodgrass and Pilks on their day can reek havoc. [/quote]Easily countered by installing a Neutradol dispenser in the changing room.

Hi Kick It Off,

Well that''s two of us then, only another 27,000 thousand odd to join in and we''ll have a groundswell!

Either that or our manager is brave enough to give it a go, in which case only one to convince one.

I think the easier job may be the 27,000!!

Support ideal from hooper one would hope given the money we have pent on him and Service ideally from our wingers. This would mean switching to a more traditional 4-4-2 formation just because its not in vogue at the moment in football does not mean it does not have its values given the right players.

Like others I thought he was beginning to play well and others playing well with him when the injury happened. In the absence of Pils and Snods, Redmond has received valuable game time and is also looking a more mature player. His corner for Fer''s goal against Newcastle was excellent, and his crossing has improved a lot. All 3 of those are capable of getting in behind as well, but for now Wes will be the other key for RvW. Looking forward to having him back.