Sign in to follow this  
Two penneth

Is there a lack of belief within the Norwich squad?

Yes, hugely. Especially away from home.

We need a change before Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel lose their spark, because if they lose confidence then we have no chance.

Goes without saying, lack of belief and lack of leadership.

Sad but true and has been the same for ages.

Possibly, but I think the critical lack of belief is a lack of belief in the squad by the manager. If he had the belief in them that most of the fans have and allowed them to play their natural game and play to their strengths, then any self-doubt that the squad might have will, I believe, rapidly disappear.

In one game away this season - Stoke, we were quick to close down Stoke players - a committed "in your face" attitude, which threw Stoke right out of their stride.

Chose any other, virtually, and we are holding off. On Wednesday at Anfield, while Suarez took his chances well he was under little pressure. He is quick, admittedly, but if we had been quicker to him some of his masterpieces could have been snuffed out.

If there is any truth in what I have just written, and I believe that there is, why the difference. Are our players merely overawed, do they forget what the manager has told them, or can the manager not persuade them to be more aggressive? Perhaps a little of each?

I agree with you .We don''t close down them down fast enough. With all the ''no shows'' we have had away from home this season it makes you wonder what is said before the players run out on to the pitch. Or is it that the players just don''t want to play for this manager any more?

Surely anyone whom has made it to Prem league pro footballer has an inherent desire to win, otherwise they wouldn''t have reached the pinnacle they have, even Ronaldo with all his natural ability would not be the player he is, or even a footballer at all, if he didn''t have the desire to be a winner.

So, why is it we don''t break quickly/bomb forward when the chance arises, why is it we appear to doing the opposite to what, as fans, we would expect the players to be doing?

I don''t have the definitive answer but surely it must be a change in the thought processes (attitude, mindset, mentality, call it what you will) required and I say that because many of the same players have done performed in the aforementioned manner previously, under our current manager and his predecessor.

So, what has brought about the change?

I have my own thoughts, which for now I shall keep to myself, just interested in what others think.

[quote user="Salopian"]In one game away this season - Stoke, we were quick to close down Stoke players - a committed "in your face" attitude, which threw Stoke right out of their stride. Chose any other, virtually, and we are holding off. On Wednesday at Anfield, while Suarez took his chances well he was under little pressure. He is quick, admittedly, but if we had been quicker to him some of his masterpieces could have been snuffed out. If there is any truth in what I have just written, and I believe that there is, why the difference. Are our players merely overawed, do they forget what the manager has told them, or can the manager not persuade them to be more aggressive? Perhaps a little of each?[/quote]

Dead right. It''s no mistake that teams keep scoring wonder goals against us. Suarez'' first goal was a loose ball from a goal kick that he got to first after it had bounced with a number of our players in attendance and we then had another chance to get to it (Fer) but just hung a leg out and allowed Suarez to march straight through. It was only then that he had his chance to hit it. The second was basic defensive failure of Martin to get in front of his man.

The trouble is, this whole business is CREATING a pychology where we are thinking, "who is going to score goal of the season against us this week" and the opposition are thinking, i can try anything against these. And then we LET THEM do just that. Top teams are now coming against us with the belief that they can try and often pull off something incredible against us. We have gone back 5 years to the team we always used to be - SOFT and very "get-atable".

Their confidence must be battered to hell, and despite the rubbish the players are forced to come out with supporting the manager in ''official'' press releases, I believe parts of the dressing room have already been lost by Hughton and his two fellow muppets.

[quote user="splutcho"]I thought you were tired of message boards?[/quote]

I was and re-read I WAS!

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]If things are that bad Wiz then I do wonder how we''ve won two consecutive PL home games.[/quote]

Well you can thank ref for saving our arse in one of them games ..........and take a gander at our goals against column.

There is a lack of belief in the manager not their own belief

Everyone bar our board can see he is a buffoon why he is still in the club I have no idea

Hughton out

There is a lack of confidence, not belief.  Not really surprising given the tough away games and beatings, on top of new players coming in and more than a fair share of injuries.   However, confidence can be built gradually and things should improve as we get in amongst some games  that are more winnable.   Its still going to be tough, but the good thing is that despite a lack of confidence, despite the tonkings, we are still coming up with wins to keep us clear of trouble.  That in itself should help the confidence - and belief.

[quote user="Waveney canary"]Everyone bar our board can see he is a buffoon why he is still in the club I have no idea

Hughton out[/quote]Why do you suppose that is, Waveney? What is the Board''s vested interest in retaining a manager that appears (to many) to guarantee relegation? They quite fancy another stint in the Championship? They would just love the ensuing lack of income and business?It really is odd that the people who see exactly the same matches as we do and what goes on behind the scenes are so much much less enlightened than you. Quite bizarre (!)