Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Chris Lakey in the EDP

"Lambert would do better: he wouldn’t say the opposition are a good team without adding “but so are my team”; he wouldn’t allow anyone to think his team didn’t stand a chance and he was highly motivated by the prospect of beating a big club, not avoiding a heavy defeat by a big club."

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/columnists/chris-lakey/yes_it_s_true_norwich_city_miss_you_know_who_1_3085930

John Gregory certainly looks like a winner ...

There are a lot of managers out there who would do better than Hughton with this squad, he has done all this to himself.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]That''s the gamble though, isn''t it?  Peter Grant being the epitome of "when it goes wrong"...Lakey''s off the fence, at least.[/quote]

Lakey is "off the fence" Mr C as much as any Archant employee can reasonably be expected to be.

It''s all rather coded, but what for me he''s really saying (and, for the record, I agree with him 100%) is that if we really do take the most pessimistic of views, then if we must go down, then for heaven''s sake lets go down fighting. If we are in 18th place next May what I really will not forgive the club for is if we say "well we never really gave it a go, did we ?"

Lambert is not perfect by any means, but with him,you really cannot imagine a scenario where we''d have put in some of the supine, lacklustre displays that we''ve witnessed over the last year.

Lakey seems to be another one who can''t let go....

Christ sake, he''s not talking about a ''love'' of Lambert. He''s talking about ambition and hope. Players need managers to pass these traits on to them. Lambert was a master at giving his players hope that they could win every match. It may have been false hope especially if you think his squad were not up to premier league standard. But they did compete and deserve to be there and Lambert was first to acknowledge this.

When Hughton gets interviewed he never puts any belief in his own players. He constantly praises the opposition and says it''s going to be a hard game. Where is that installing confidence and hope in your own players? Even after a win (narrow) vs Palace he didn''t say something like ''we got 3 points on Saturday so we are full of confidence and are going to give it a right go at Anfield''. Instead it was ''we are not performing well away from home and it needs to improve''. And this is the big difference between Lambert and Hughton!

IIRC Lakey isn''t even a city fan - he is a journalist, and so paid to have an opinion. I think his team is Posh.