Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Have I been wrong about Worthy?.

Firstly, as you know, I''m not the greatest Worthington fan in the World!. In fact, I''ve often called for his head.

But of course its hard to argue with his record. Like many supporters, I was convinced that we were dead and buried. Yet here we are, with one game to go, and our fate is in our own hands, amazing!. And of course we did finish champions last year!.

Sometimes Worthy really annoys me, his dogged selection with Fleming and Holt. His early disregard of Safri, Shackell and Helveg, his purchase of Docherty, and of his course his defensive tactics/substitutions when we are winning or drawing near the end of the game, which results in the ''oppo'' coming forward more, and of course, scoring!.

So have I been wrong about him all this time?, maybe you can help me decide, yes?.

Because now I just don''t know no more. When I see some  managers on TV, I shudder with relief that we have Nigel, but then he will do something so blindly daft within the tactical side of a game, all the old doubts come back, help please.

I dont think your wrong Wiz. Injuries aside,why has it taken up until april for the management & players to realise that they have to fight to stay in the Premier league? I dont give two hoots that he got us here,the main thing is keeping us where we are. So if we get relegated & then come up again under Worthy would everyone want him to manage us in the Prem again? If we stay up then i will give him the benefit of the doubt,aparently he will have substantial funds for new players next season. It will be interesting to see who he brings in.

[quote]Finally you have come to your senses! Oh and yes you have been wrong about Worthy! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! ALL WE NEED IS A WIN!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Hang on Shrub my friend, I clearly said, I just don''t know now!.

I''m more in the Two Sheds camp at this time, but I do try to be fair when and where I can, so I''m keeping an ''open mind'' till hopefully more posters reply with advice.

No, I don''t think you are wrong! Worthy has his talents - his persistence in signing Hux and in persuading the board just in time that we needed Ashton, are very much in his favour.But against this:He has bought some dross, for reasons difficult to understand.He has over-loyalty to certain players, even the present team now seem in for ever. I still have doubts about Fleming. Our successes against Manure and Brum were largely due to their strikers having an off day (repeated by Manure yesterday against the Baggies.) Stewart, Doherty, Edworthy, McVeigh and Charlton seem to have been virtually discarded.His apparent inability to motivate players, or get them to concentrate seems to be one of the main reasons why we have conceded so many goals - it could be this which consigns us to relegation. Even against Brum, the biggest game so far, we had a poor game. Some players with ability, like Francis, seemed absent.Apart from one or two cases there does not seem to have been evidence of creative thinking in team selection and tactics. Other managers seem to try things, but he seems to let things drift.If the team are as bad next Sunday as they were against Brum, it is difficult to see them getting even one point. I hope that I am proved wrong, but I fear that too many of the team will "bottle it". Soton, who had had a bad run when we played them, were really up for it. Someone or something motivated them, as happened again against Palace.

[quote]Hang on Shrub my friend, I clearly said, I just don''t know now!. I''m more in the Two Sheds camp at this time, but I do try to be fair when and where I can, so I''m keeping an ''open mind'' till hopefull...[/quote]

Ahh sorry i didn''t read it properly! But i still think you are wrong!

im still not totally convinced.

but if we win im sure i will be!

You tempt me when you ask open-ended questions like this Wizard. And, may I say, I willingly succumb to the temptation. It is impossible to make a judgement on your opinions this past season as you have been on both sides of every issue from day one. An emotional roller coaster that didn''t know if you were going up or coming down. If you don''t believe me then I suggest you engage in some good old-fashioned Lowestoft trolling.

P.S: Now don''t get too excited. This note is designed to work you back into your natural self slowly. If I start to see too many open posts from contributors like you, what will become of the world.

[quote]You tempt me when you ask open-ended questions like this Wizard. And, may I say, I willingly succumb to the temptation. It is impossible to make a judgement on your opinions this past season as you ha...[/quote]

Hang on my little Yankee pal, there I am, innocently asking for some guidance, and you ridicule me for it!.

Shame on you for mocking the afflicted!.

I never change my colours and I always sit in one camp only, but if as you suggest, I do change my mind often (no doubt you can produce all my past posts as you''re good at that!), then surely I''m only reflecting what''s been going on in this mad season.

Lowstoft trolling?, what the hells that when its at home. Please explain, because if you mean trawling then spell it as trawling!, true blood Lowstoft people never speak like that my friend.

PS. I''ve spelt Lowstoft how We say it.  

[quote]I dont think your wrong Wiz. Injuries aside,why has it taken up until april for the management & players to realise that they have to fight to stay in the Premier league? I dont give two hoots tha...[/quote]

TwoSheds, how can you say that you "don''t give two hoots that he got us here"? If Worthy hadn''t got us promoted then there''d be nothing to keep us in. It''s because of last season''s wonderful achievements that we can even be in this relegation scrap, so to write that all off seems a bit wrong to me.

Wiz, I can understand your state of confusion - I''m pro-Worthy but have also been baffled by some of his actions this season. The Doherty signing seemed a little pointless. But for every Doherty there''s been an Ashton or a Safri. I''m willing to put these mistakes down to a learning manager who, thankfully, has worked out how to grind out results just in time to hopefully keep us up. I''m sure that if we do stay up, we''ll be a much better side next year that shouldn''t have to spend much time looking nervously at the relegation scrap.

[quote]Hang on my little Yankee pal, there I am, innocently asking for some guidance, and you ridicule me for it!. Shame on you for mocking the afflicted!. I never change my colours and I always sit in one...[/quote]

You want some guidance?? Well here it is: Worthy was the man who got us to Cardiff, he was the man who got us in the Prem, if we go down who would you rather have? Any old manager or the manager who got us in the Prem the season before? I would say the person who got us in the season before! And if we stay up then i CERTAINLY would not want a diff manager! He will have gave us the fighting power to stay up! And yes, we may need to make some changes over the summer but that isn''t his fault! There is your guidance!

I dont think that it is unreasonable to suggest that the players have had the same sort of emotional ride as us, perhaps it is possible that they are the ones that are in the driving seat infact.

I will say it again as no one seems to take notice but I wasnt overly upset with the first third of the season bar more wins. We drew agains teams with proven firepower and class throughout, Totenham, Villa, Necastle. I just think that they consistant drawing and loosing had the same effect on the players as it had on us. They are only human after all.

After a while people were loosing faith and suggesting relegation before we had even reached the halfway point in the season. In a way this may have had even more of an impact on the squad, then the injuries and settling in period needed for some players also didnt help matters.

As posters coming on here I would say that the general mood has swung throughout the season.

But if you are going to talk about Worthington you DO have to take into account his managerial record. The people that come on here saying things like he doesnt motivate players and that you cant judge him on the Championship season are just living a joke.

That season more than any other proves that he is a more than capable manager. Most of his signings over the last couple of seasons have been fantastic, and the ones that havent simply havent performed to the level that they were before - but thats the risk you take.

I am sorry to say this but it is not the job of the manager to continuously motivate the whole squad. There are sports shrinks for that. Plus the fact of £10k a week in their pockets, if they cant motivate themselves at least some of the time they are not good enough for the prem end of story.

One thing I will argue in Worthingons defence is the idea that he doesnt experiment. If the team does well one week he will keep it as near as possible to the same line-up. After all a lot of people argue that people need a run of games to get confidence and to get better.

If they do badly he has changed things around as much as he can. The problem is that when he tries to be inventive with his subsitutions people often berate him if they go wrong even if it is exactly what they have requested.

For example Hux simply wasnt playing to the level required the other week so he brought him off. Fair play, but then everyone was why was he taken off? He shouldnt have been taken off? Jonson is rubbish! When the fact of the matter was that Hux had one day of training under his belt since the last match.

I just wish people would give the team a little more space.

You look at the squad we came up with and you realise that Worthington is a quality manager, Wigan have a far stronger squad which isnt that different to last season. To think that we didnt outspend those clubs but managed to win with players like McVeigh, Mullers, Mackay as regulars (ok not really mullers).

This seasons signings have not been that disapointing. Jonson and Docherty have yet to produce their best I am sure but Helveg has come true, along with the success of Safri (is it no coincidence that we are doing well now). Ashton was an inspired signing and now it seems that so was McKenzie . . . . . . . not to forget Bently.

I think you have to think what we had at the time of promotion and what we have now. We have more quality for sure. Doc may well only make the bench but he is twice as capable as Malky, and would Malky be playing above Shackell? No way!

So I say give the guy a chance, something that some fans have never done since he took over from the disaster Hamilton left. Instant improvements could be seen even then. Kenton became consistant, McVeigh, Mackay, The Great Dane (MK1) all came from the reserve side to become regulars and consistant first team performers.

I think he can get us to be mid-table premiership quality. I think you guys owe him s

[quote]Firstly, as you know, I''m not the greatest Worthington fan in the World!. In fact, I''ve often called for his head. But of course its hard to argue with his record. Like many supporters, I was convinc...[/quote]

I share your uncertainty 1st Wiz.

Worthy has done well for us since he joined and has far exceeded my expectations - I opposed his appointement as he was part of the old regime that was so poor and preferred a more direct style of football than I like.

However he has proved his ability and has given us thre fantastic seasons in the championship culminating in a fantastic league winning season and a trip to the promised land.

However that is all historical & ANY manager is only as good as their recent results on the AND  performance off it - tactics, man management, squad purchases etc.

This season he has had some money but he always knew that it was not going to be as much as he would have wanted  - we all wanted more and we now know that he did too!  However he put together a squad that he felt was the best he could put together with the budget he had, which he naturally (I assume) felt would give us a chance to survive come May 15th...

I do feel that his level of performance this season was in the below average category;  IMO poor handling of players, over reliance (still) of players who were not good enough (crucially a failure to tell which players were performing well and which were not), tactically poor and debatable motivational impact.  

With an unfortunate run of injuries we were left cut adrift and perilously close to an early April relegation before he very suddenly and unexpectedly saw the light at highbury and finally jettisoned the concrete over-coats that were drowning the team.

The last 5 weeks have shown what I have always felt; that we had a squad who could have avoided relegation; even more so having seen what is probably the worst quality premier league since it was formed - take out Arsenal and Chelsea and we have not been outclassed at all.  

IMO the fact that we are not already safe is directly attributable to Worthys choices and for that he gets a ''has to do significantly better'' assessment for the year, whether we win & survive next week or not.  It has not been poor enough to warrant dismissal but if we do not see signs that he has learnt a lesson next season then we should question his tenure as manager, whichever league we are in.  Fortunately Worthy continues to confound me be showing that he is continuing his learning...

If we survive then so should he; but the noose is tightening, even allowing for recent form improvement;  if we get relegated that is hardly a surprise and I cant think of anyone better to lead the club in its attempt to getout of probably the worlds most competitive league.

In summary the jury remains out;  Worthy is not a perfect world beater (if he was he would be at chelsea) but an inexperienced yet talented developing manager who does know what it takes to get out of the fizzy pop.  As I have said before he needs a mentor who he can chat things through with, particularly if we remain in the prem next year.

He has to get the players right for sunday as his first test.

OTBC

Welcome back Wiz!! You have been wrong many times concerning Worthy''s ability as a manager in the prem and indeed the championship. May I draw your attention to a piece in the EDP.

It reads "Canaries have psychology on their survival battle" Much of the paragraph is a character assessment of Worthy and his general attitude to life, I''ll pick out a paragraph for your information so that you might read the article in it''s entirety.

"With him it''s just joy.  It''s not ''I''m better than anyone else'' ''or '' my team''s better than anybody else''s. I have got my money on Norwich partly because Worthington''s managerial psychology might be just perfect for this situation."

The writer then assess thethree other managers in the final dog-fight.

I read your contributions to this board with much interest and indeed amusement, when I note on reflection the constant wavering when you have both criticised and praised Worthy in his efforts to get from the players their absolute maximum, citing his mistakes and poor tactics, when not taking a realistic look at the lack of actual resources at his disposal.  Blowing hot and cold as you have done may times will not improve your health, neither will it improve Worthy''s management skills. I have had two Heart Attacks and I know that a rational and controlled approach to all problems is the way forward for both Norwich City,and indeed you and I Wiz. Best wishes for your future and please keep posting. 

And Yankee Canary, your contribution to this, mentions that you would not like to join the ranks of being nice. While I agree with the group that claim that your posts do merit a high mention in the posters honours list. I feel sure that honesty in opinion and good manners are not to be mixed up with nice. You do qualify in my opinion to be on par with Chicken and ZLF. Both of them and you have applied reason and logic in your posts, attributes, may I say that are undervalued these days and may sometimes be unpalatable.

If we stay up, he will be a hero.  If we don''t then I am sure we will all be going over the selections, decisions etc. he has made over the last 9 months!  

Lets just stay up and forget all about it!

Cheers Beelsie!

So my schooling has come good then?!!!

I try to back up my opinion with something solid. It frustrates me to see people haveing a dig when substitutions are made and there is really no other choice.

It also frustrates me when people suggest that Worthington is only as good as his last result, in some ways this is true and others it is not.

When any manager picks a team he has to factor in injuries form and then formation. I truly believe that Worthington has hardly been able to pick his favourite starting eleven due to some of these factors coming into play.

If he was running a marathon I would agree. But he isnt. He can only pick the best team on the day and as I have said before that can depend on quite a few factors.

Its the same when we sign players. They are signed on the quality of their last so many matches, that is why Helveg, Jonson, Charlton etc were signed. Docherty was the only "risky" signing and he has done a job for us, especially when you consider he cost less than Malky who was sitting in Celtics reserves when we signed him.

No Wiz - I think us old uns have just about been right about Worthy and like, you, having been very critical of some of his signings, substitutions, tactics, continual use of his seemingly favourite players, ie, his apparent love affair with Holt in particular, at the expense of reason. I was surprised that as a former defender himself and being a defencively minded Manager, more attention was not given to addressing the goals conceded problems we have been dogged with all season.
Having said all that, I like the man for his honesty and obvious commitment to the Club and feel that the learning curve he has had to negotiate has been a particularly steep one, having regard for injuries to key players at vital stages of the season. I do wish his wake up call had been made a bit earlier but then, the injuries etc probably made it difficult for him.
I do wish him and the club all the best for Sunday but I am not as brave as you Wiz if you can bear to listen to the Waller commentary on the game - I shall probably do what we usually do and watch Jeff Stelling on Sky and hope for the best!

OTBC for ever

Interesting to read some of the different opinions of Worthy, I think everyone should think of how dire things had been in the time we got relegated and to when he took over, the brief periods of O´Neill and to a lesser extent Mike Walker´s second stint.  Just look at some of the crap uninspied players and uninspiring performances we had to put up with.  It was really dire!  Sometimes I feel he is a bit tactically naive (agree with the comment on an older hand to help in this department) and he has perhaps shown a bit too much loyalty to one or two players, but in all honesty you cannot expect loyalty if you show none at all.  Whatever happens this season, look at the fact that the fact that we have had four really exciting seasons, with near full - houses.  Look at the players such as Ashton, Safri, McKenzie and Huckerby and tell me we haven´t made progress both on and off the field.  To those who want Worthy out, perhaps you would like us to perhaps get Megson back for a third stint, or how about someone high profile -Souness perhaps? 

[quote]No Wiz - I think us old uns have just about been right about Worthy and like, you, having been very critical of some of his signings, substitutions, tactics, continual use of his seemingly favourite p...[/quote]

That''s the same dilemma I share with you knowhatimean, as a person, I really like Nigel.

He never embarrass''s the club in the media, he always praises the players albeit in public!. And he keeps calm on match days, unlike some we could all mention!.

But is this enough?, Worthy does have some very good attributes, it just at times he seems to lack the tactical know how.

Mind you, having said all that, I''m a  bit surprised that so many respected posters seem to be thinking like me. A few short months ago, I would have been crucified for even questioning our Worthy, hmm?.

Maybe I will have to take the good with the bad, after all, we could have had big fat Joe in charge instead, yes?. 

A lot of people with short memories, who cannot remember us being in danger of dropping out of the (then) first Div after Hamilton.

I think Worthy has made some shocking buys (Doherty, Stuart, Johnson), but we are never going to agree with him all of the time - I don''t rate Helveg, but many do.

Look at the key buys - Hucks, Ash, Leon, Saf.

Let''s get behind Worthy.  He has got us up and he will keep us up - and he''s a bloody nice bloke....

Hi 1st Wiz!

It has to be said that a lot of the anti-Worthington crowd started to get on his back a lot more than a couple of months ago and like I have stated before a lot of the same group of posters wrote our chances off at Christmas.

To me that is p**s poor for fans that are supposedly some of the best in the country. And again I will say that Chrystal Palace have backed their team and manager all of the way through the season and their results have not been much greater than our own, in fact as the table suggests we are marginally better.

I dont like supposedly "loyal" supporters negatively berating the team when what they have needed is support. Infact every since Delias outburst people have been a little more upbeat. Personally I think that is because people realised as supporters we were being for to serious and simply not enjoying the experience.

Had we had the same atmosphere as we do now and for the second part of last season.

I am not saying that Worthington has made the right decisions all of the time but then neither have any of the managers in this league. Ferguson made a real blunder playing a weakend team against us and paid for it. Worthington may make mistakes but he has been forced to in many situations.

I just think that people have to keep comparing to understand, and keep perspective on the whole scenario.

A few people got carried away after lasts seasons success and have expected a lot, lot more than the club is realistically capable of. If there have been mistakes then it is down to the squad and the coaching staff, not one individual.

I cannot understand those who write off Worthy''s broad achievements over several seasons so easily and judge him on a few decisions in the pressure cauldron of a tough initial premiership season.

Of course some signings have been unsuccessful.  I cannot think of any manager who has an untarnished record in signings eg Wenger with Jeffers, Ferguson with Djemba-Djemba.  Any signing is made with some potential for failure.  I think Worthy has made some outstanding signings and has encouraged the board to back his judgment which is a crucial role for any manager.

The thorny issue of substitutions is always a tough one, and the benefit of hindsight is always likely to allow the armchair critics ample opportunity to pick holes in the manager''s decisions.  Worthy was slaughtered by some for swapping Hucks for Charlton @ Saints but in my view Hucks had looked unfit and struggling (for entirely valid reasons) as the game wore on.  Charlton came on and almost scored and generally played well.  On Saturday Safri was injured, had not had a great game (in line with most of the team) and Holt was a sensible and justified substitute yet even in a match that needed all supporters to be 100% behind the team there were some who booed Holt on to the pitch.  I applaud Worthy for being willing to do what he thinks correct rather than pandering to a vocal minority.

Selection is also a tough one.  Of course Safri should have been in earlier in the season IF, and its a big IF, he was going to play as he has these past few weeks.  However, we fans cannot judge whether that would have been the case.  Personally I thought he struggled in a number of his early season appearances.  Injuries, confidence, settling in issues could have all played a part and if Worthy nursed him through those sorts of issues to build him up to the sort of performances we''ve seen lately then I say that is a big plus for Worthy.

I could go on (and probably have too much already) but I have watched our beloved team under more managers than I can count but I rank Worthy right up there among the very best that we have had.  I rate him alongside Saunders, Walker (first period), Stringer, Bond, Brown.  My judgement will stand win or lose on Saturday.

August 64

" My judgement will stand win or lose on Saturday."

Ooops, getting ahead of myself I know its Sunday,  see you there, I''ll be the one in the Super Worthy yellow one-piece!!

August 64

Mr Wizard, shouldn''t it be pronounced "lowstuff" if you are resident in the most easterly town in England?

Don''t wish to be picky, and I am not American, so please be gentle. I don''t want a spell which casts me into message board oblivion, and inflicts me with a horse on my chest and Kuqi on my back.  

Wizard...firstly there is nothing wrong in having doubts over your previous opinions. If a person can''t, or won''t, change their minds that would make them arrogant, and I am sure that you are not arrogant!

Personally I have had my own doubts over Worthington for a long period of time and have posted such thoughts from well into last season. To me, he is not the "Messiah" for all the reasons that have been stated over many, many months - but that is just my opinion.

If we stay up then Worthington will have achieved his prime task and based on that he should be given the chance to further improve the Club. If we go down, then my opinion is that he should go.

Given that we stay up, it will not stop me having an opinion as to how good a manager Worthington is. To my mind he is not in the same league as Saunders, Bond, Brown or Walker. All of those had the ability to drastically alter the way the team played, all of them had the ability to massively improve the strength of the team with astute signings.

Perhaps he will grow into being a really, really good manager for us - I sort of hope so because that probably means we will stay up after Sunday

"all of them had the ability to massively improve the strength of the team with astute signings"

Err....what about Hucks or Deano?  Surely they come into that category FatMan?  I think there is also some selective memory in your comparative comments.  Saunders took quite a bit of stick for being completely inflexible and formulaic at times - still a fantastic manager though.

August 64

[quote]Wizard...firstly there is nothing wrong in having doubts over your previous opinions. If a person can''t, or won''t, change their minds that would make them arrogant, and I am sure that you are not ...[/quote]

"If we stay up then Worthington will have achieved his prime task and based on that he should be given the chance to further improve the Club. If we go down, then my opinion is that he should go."

Now this is what really frustrates me! You are suggesting that should we go down he should go. In the worse case scenario we will be two points short of 17th. All season we have been challenging for that spot.

In reflection it would be a bit like sacking a manager who had kept his team within a shot of the championship season down to the last day of the season.

I really cant understand people who share the same opinion to you, they very rarely have anything solid behind their argument other than we dont win enough.

There are allways risks when signing players. And I will keep saying this over and over again. Jonson by all reports had a fantastic season last season and was/is also performing well internationaly. That is why he was signed, if he is not having the same impact it could be down to many factors. Having seen Worthington make good players out of inconsistant ones I dont think that it is purely down to him.

Stuart again was a gamble, but at the time we would not have been able to field a midfield made up of midfielders without him. I dont expect to see him stay beyond the summer but at least he has fought for the cause. We had so many players out injured at that time that it was a sort of forced signing.

I would also like to mention a list of players that Worthy has signed and who have done well for the level they were purchased along with the players he has influenced to become better;

Bought;Holt, Drury, Francis, Ashton, McKenzie, Huckerby, Edworthy, Charlton, Safri, Svensson, Helveg

Influenced; Kenton, McVeigh, Needergard, Mackay, Shackell, Jarvis, Green, Russel,

Also if any of you guys ever listened to what past and current players have said about him then you wouldnt be asking so many of the same questions.

Iwan rates him highly, I can remember that he was continually impressed with the level of fitness and other coaching sessions that he recieved under Worthington.

Now please come up with something solid to suggest that as a manager he has under-performed!!! Because so far I am yet to hear a decent argument from anyone.

[quote]Mr Wizard, shouldn''t it be pronounced "lowstuff" if you are resident in the most easterly town in England? Don''t wish to be picky, and I am not American, so please be gentle. I don''t want a spell wh...[/quote]

Sorry Super Shaun Carey, but I must take issue with you.

Lowestoft, is derided from the ancient Danish language (we were a Danish settlement after the great euorpean migration of 780 AD) and in short it roughly translates as Low Cattle/Marsh Farm!. ie. Lower-Stoft, well that''s my understanding of our origins.

My dear late mum always said ''Lowstoft'', and she was born there like me, and that''s why I, as a local say it, along with all my friends, again all local!.

Mind you, I also have German blood pumping through me, a gift from my father, and tomorrow I invade Poland!.

And I never of course, curse fellow City supporters (well hardly ever!) however many ''fallouts'' we have over a certain manager!, so you can relax there, my friend.

Mind you, if you were only joking, it was mildly funny. As I am only 5''2", I get your point, but mrs wiz always calls me short a**e instead!!.

Wiz,

Have you seen the headline on the front of todays Pinkun. I wondered what was going on for a second.