Sign in to follow this  
Buh

If we play Hooper and RVW together

Will it work?

We seem to be heading towards this combination and I think we''ll see it in the next couple of weeks but do we think it will work?

My concern is that while he seems to be constantly getting criticised Elmander is doing a lot of dirty work which is helping out Hooper and with a front two of RVW and Hooper we will lose a bit of physicality.

My other concern is that they will both want to get too far forward and won''t drop back and help back. Ideally I''d want Hooper up front and RVW just behind. The formation would be fluid (both could go forward or drop back) but Hooper seems the poacher and RVW more likely to create.

I think it will mean Fer is going to have to work overtime to act as a physical force.

Ruddy

Whitaker - Bassong - Turner - Olsson

Fer - Howson

Redmond Hoolahan

RVW

Hooper

Is one way of doing it, if you don''t mind the Hoolahan winger ala the palace game.

RvW will be on the bench sunday after a long lay off. Really hope to see these 2 in the same team soon.

I think it''s sensible to start with Elmander over RVW if hes fit. Lets ease him in I don''t want another lay off for the lad.

I asked Hughton this. He said he could see times when he''d play them together and occasions where they may both start. He talked about Playing Hooper behind RVW. But the impression I got was that they wouldn''t both start too often and I can understand that. If I can find the link I''ll post it.

i can''t wait for them to play together, they''ll be like our little sturridge/suarez partnership

-------------------ruddy-------------

whittaker--bennett--bassong--olsson

redmond--howson--fer---pilikington

-----------hooper----wolfswinkel------

now thats a good team

need to invest in a really good CB and we''re golden

Is hard to see them in a team together - neither will want to come back to help stop the midfield being swamped by opposition playing 5 men there. The first half versus West Ham shows what happens if both strikers stay high up the pitch. People talk about Liverpool and Man City using two strikers, but Negredo and Suarez will both often drop very deep to pick up the ball and provide an extra man when needed - also at Liverpool Sturridge will move out wide allowing the midfielders to play narrower and not be overwhelmed.
I''ve yet to see a team in recent Premier League history successfully play a 3 man defence for any period of time - Liverpool stopped using it after a few games even when Sturridge was fit - I was at the Fulham game when Lambert gave it a go with pretty disastrous effect.
RvW or Hooper cannot play the role that Elmander does and trying the two together will be a little bit of a backwards step in my view. Hughton needs to work out which striker he has most faith in and play him - not weaken the whole team in an attempt to field them both. 
From the sounds of it RvW has been in training for a little while and should be fit to play from Saturday - Hughton is going to have to disappoint one of them. I''m not a person who believes ''never change a winning team'' as the best available players should play when possible, I also feel that RvW is a better player than Hooper, who doesn''t provide much outside the box - however, for Saturday I would keep Hooper in and only bring on RvW if a goal is needed. 4-4-2 against Swansea is pretty much suicidal - they relish having space to knock the ball around in midfield, why set the team up to help them do this? 

[quote user="Number 9"]You''ve left our best player out, Leroy must play when fit.[/quote]

I agree, first must play when he''s fit.

But as things stand the best player in a Norwich City shirt is Jonny Howson.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Number 9"]You''ve left our best player out, Leroy must play when fit.[/quote]

I agree, FER must play when he''s fit.

But as things stand the best player in a Norwich City shirt is Jonny Howson.

[/quote]

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Olsson

Redmond Fer Howson Hoolahan

Elmander Hooper

Nash Martin Bennett Johnson Murphy RVW Becchio

Of the two I think Hooper is the more likely to drop back tackle and collect the ball. I would like to see them given a chance together, potentially it could be a fantastic partnership, definitely worth a try. Would also encourage us to play less long balls and develop attacks through mid field. To do that of course we need to see players making themselves available, working hard off the ball and wanting the ball, not always been the case this season.