Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

quote mumbo jumbo

The problem with broken quotes is that the greater and less than symbols and non-break spaces in the webpage code are somehow not decoded from their html encoded equivalents.Firefox users can install the FoxReplace addon to manually change each instance of &gt; &lt; and &amp;nbsp; to < > and &nbsp; in order to properly render any messed-up blockquote.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="questionmark"]I believe it happens when the user quotes someone who has a non-alphanumeric character in their name. In this case the underscore in iron_stan will cause the error.Whenever someone quotes me the same issue occurs, due to the question mark.[/quote]I just delete the non alphanumeric character.[:D][/quote]

Just want to try it.

Anyone with an ipad, download Mercury browser (free app) and it works a treat here. It may even be available for the iphone, I don''t know as don''t have one.

Oh and read this thread also :-

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2741792/ShowPost.aspx

Two separate issues here:a) if a user name has a non-alphanumeric character then the "quote" function will return an error and your post won''t be accepted in the first place (it says something like "non-matching quote blocks" or something like that).b) if users use certain browsers - IE8, Safari, Chrome - then the "quote" function doesn''t render as per the stylesheet''s settings.  Firefox does quote correctly, which is odd (though handy as I use Firefox)So if you use Safari (say), and fix the issue with (a), you will still fall foul of the issue with (b).

Essentially, the message board module used here is antiquated and requires modernisation to deal with the breadth of new browsers available.  As it probably makes no money however, there''s no real business case to justify the upgrade.

Correct Mr. Chops in that there probably isn''t any business case to upgrade the software but if this was my site I''d be pretty embarrassed by the shoddiness of the site. What perception does it give potential customers?

There was a thread a while back about installing a user-agent if you you Chrome. I follwed that and still I get all this rubbish and now the user-agent slows down my browsing experience.

Archant ought to bite the bullet on this and install, for example, phpbulletin bord, a free open source message board which has years of usage and tens of thousands of installations and is proven to work.

So we might have to lose all the old threads as the cost of migration would be prohibitive, but maybe Archant could keep this website going in read-only mode while running a new software site in parallel.

Just a suggestion.

Oh and one other thing, Archant could also ask for volunteer help among the IT community here to get the new site running, they wouldn''t necessarily have to incur any costs and I bet there are skilled IT people who would be willing to get a better site up and running.