Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Player Ratings?

From the Hawthorns I suggest the following:

Ruddy 8 - didn''t put a foot wrong - quick and sure.

Whittaker - 6.5 - didn''t get forward much, because of WBA pressure

Olsson - 6 - same as for Whittaker, but he lacked supporting cover ahead of him.

Turner 7 - won many headers

Bassong 7.5 almost back to his best

Redmond - 7.5 excellent going forward, and helped in both goals, but shooting....?

Howson 7 - outstanding in the first half, almost invisible in the second.

Johnson 6.5 worked tirelessly, restricting himself to short passes

Fer 8.5 - popped up everywhere, making important tackles and providing excellent passes, and a god goal

Elmander 7 - suffered in the cause, with frequent pushes in his back and neck, but never gave up and won important headers

Hooper - 8 - took his one real chance with aplomb, and contributed in approach work. Suggested more to come.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Fer 8.5 - popped up everywhere, making important tackles and providing excellent passes, and a god goal [/quote]

I think if you''re giving Fer such a high rating purely on the goal and assist then that''s fair enough but I would say his overall game was quite average.

The position may not have suited him but he left Olsson exposed. He played less passes and less successful passes than Howson. Was no more successful in the tackle than Howson and made significantly less interceptions than Johnson.

But he scored a goal and help set one up so obviously those two things were massive contributions, even if the rest of it wasn''t particularly impressive.

Ruddy 8.5 - great game. save for long header as big as a goal

Whittaker - 6.5 - solidish

Olsson - 7 - same as for Whittaker gave higher mark due to no midfiled cover

Turner 7.5 - lots of important headers, etc

Bassong 6.5 still a bit shakey to me

Redmond - 7.5 excellent going forward, and helped in both goals, but often lacked end product. prefer 

him playing on the right though as it seemed to make him less greedy (for want of a nicer term).

Howson 7.5 - thought he worked hard in midfield.

Johnson 6.5 - worked hard but he''s no tettey imo

Fer 7 - strange one this. great assist and goal but they came when he was playing in the middle. as a left sided midfielder he looked the poorest I''ve seen him. occasionally tried to be too clever in defence. although the goal and assist showed his quality imo our best player just not on sat

Elmander 7 -mucked in, did his job, nothing spectacular 

Hooper - 8 - great finish, good teamwork as well.