Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

Relevant Quote From Pardew

In The Times today, Pardew is quoted after their win at Old Trafford.

"I think that is a reflection of the Premier League , most of the teams are taking a more positive outlook towards playing against the top teams"

To be fair, we have seen that in games this season, that''s what kills me about City''s games, most of the positivity we used to have, has gone. Great to get 3 points against West Brom, but game was won on good finishing during counter attacks and much luck in defense. We could hardly say that we were extremely positive.

I had Radio 5 on driving home on Saturday and they went on and on about Newcastle beating Man U.

One point they made was that before the game, Pardew had set out his plan to keep it tight and avoid going behind in the first half, then if they could keep it all square through the opening part of the second half, they would look to push on a bit and see if they could get the win.  Which is exactly how it turned out.

I think every Prem team in mid-table will try to play this way when they go away to the big teams.  It''s exactly what we try to do.  The problem of course is that if you concede a goal in the first half, the home team can relax and start to play the ball around, while you are forced to come out a bit more, putting you at more risk of conceding a second goal etc.

If you concede an early goal to a 35 yard wonder strike or a dubious penaly or a double-deflection, you''re going to struggle.

You look at how we played against Chelsea and think we were unlucky there, put in a good shift and could have come away with a point on another day. Compare that to Man City and Liverpool, and you have to wonder why we didn''t play in the same way. City were in great home form at that time and put almost as many past Spurs, but we still made it very easy for them. The same with Liverpool, we seemed to just watch them pass it around half of the time. Whereas at Chelsea we were in their face.

I''d agree with Pardew''s quote here - you look at the top sides now and fancy yourselves nicking something far more so than a couple of years ago. However, you still can''t make it easy for them.

[quote user="TruculentTrucker"]Hoots is delighted if he can keep the score down below a 4 nil loss when we play the big boys! Mr Bore.[/quote]

Presumably you were asleep through the wins over Arsenal and Man U last season with Chris Hughton at the helm then?

Oh, forgot Man City away last season as well. You were asleep for that one too?

Think perhaps you should stop describing yourselves as supporters and maybe dub yourselves Norwich City critics.

To be fair to Pardew the reason behind why he says you fancy something a little bit more from the top sides than previous seasons is mainly down to them being inconsistent.

Fergie always got consistency out of Man Utd, and Chelsea have always been pretty reliable. If Pardew ment that of Man City, who have the odd blip, or Arsenal I will personally declare that man a nutter. Spurs have just bought an almost entirely new squad (ok I exaggerate).

And then you have Liverpool and Everton. Right now Liverpool are 2nd and Everton 5th. You''ll never get easy games against either of them.

For me, personally, I think Pardew is talking more about Man Utd, Chelsea and possibly thinking about Man City on an off day. And to me, that still doesn''t make any of them easier to play against, you just feel they are a little more vulnerable perhaps.

That''s good for him, he probably has had one of the best squads outside of the usual candidates for the last two seasons.

To be fair, Pardew wasn''t talking about other teams having a bad day, he was talking about the ''lesser'' teams positive attitude and play when they come up against the ''bigger'' teams.

Our play under Hughton has been overwhelmingly negative.

"To be fair, Pardew wasn''t talking about other teams having a bad day, he was talking about the ''lesser'' teams positive attitude"

No he wasn''t. Read the quote in the original post.

"Positive outlook".

That''s very much different. That can mean they go with the same tactics and mindset but believe it may be more effective this year than previous years.

That quote, just after beating last seasons Champions - really does need a pinch of salt.

As I said, if speaking about Man Utd, in general I would agree. If talking about the other teams I think he is mad. Man City look far more balanced now with their additions. Arsenal look to have such a head of steam and buckets of form - I''d dare any team to think they have more chance of beating them this season compared to last season.

Indeed, but are also fourth.

They may not be on the sort of form of champions but they finished 2nd last season. I wouldn''t say I see them as being weaker than last season yet.