Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Oh no, not another nostalgia thread !

Watching some old videos at the weekend and noticed how many '' characters '' were about back then. So here is a few to start :

Bill Punton - head shining in the floodlights on a night game.

Trevor Hockey-should have been on WWE

Plus a referee named either Kirkpatrick or Fitzpatrick, can''t remember which ( perhaps Ricardo knows ) anyway he used to dash around the pitch like a wild man !

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Watching some old videos at the weekend and noticed how many '' characters '' were about back then. So here is a few to start :

Bill Punton - head shining in the floodlights on a night game.

Trevor Hockey-should have been on WWE

Plus a referee named either Kirkpatrick or Fitzpatrick, can''t remember which ( perhaps Ricardo knows ) anyway he used to dash around the pitch like a wild man ![/quote]

Ah yes, Roger Kirkpatrick, how could anyone ever forget him. I note that he has recently died. He was a great character, a little stubby guy with a bald head and long sideburns. He used to line up a wall for a free kick and then sprint off with his knees up near his chest and as fast as his little short legs would carry him. The crowd used to roar with laughter every time.The game was full of characters in those days. RIP Mr Kirkpatrick, you enlivened many a dull game.

Gave Ip5wich a penalty against us.............then changed his mind!

Now thats folklore............wasn''t Burley their manager at time?[:D]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Or am I thinking of someone else here?[:$]

Had to look him up. Funny little chap. YouTube his name and a couple of clips are on.MOTD opening credits and the Manchester derby.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Or am I thinking of someone else here?[:$]

[/quote]

That''s Kevin Lynch Wiz - he gave us one of the best derby moments ever - changing his mind about awarding that pen after consulting the lino in front of the binners. Wark had the ball on the spot ready to take it too. Cue loads of lighters and other assorted debris from the stands for the poor lino.

He does look like Kirkpatrick though - short and bald.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="CANARYKING"]Watching some old videos at the weekend and noticed how many '' characters '' were about back then. So here is a few to start : Bill Punton - head shining in the floodlights on a night game. Trevor Hockey-should have been on WWE Plus a referee named either Kirkpatrick or Fitzpatrick, can''t remember which ( perhaps Ricardo knows ) anyway he used to dash around the pitch like a wild man ![/quote]

Ah yes, Roger Kirkpatrick, how could anyone ever forget him. I note that he has recently died. He was a great character, a little stubby guy with a bald head and long sideburns. He used to line up a wall for a free kick and then sprint off with his knees up near his chest and as fast as his little short legs would carry him. The crowd used to roar with laughter every time.

The game was full of characters in those days. RIP Mr Kirkpatrick, you enlivened many a dull game.
[/quote]

Didn''t Roger Kilpatrick take both teams off in the seventies because of someone blowing a whistle in the crowd? It wasn''t at Norwich, but I''m sure I can remember him and his ludicrous sideburns lurking by the tunnel on match of the day waiting for the offender to be ejected? He was an officious little so and so.