Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Should Iwan be given a new contract?

As I am sure all of you know the big man''s contract is up at the end of the year. Do you think it should be renewed? There are of course several factors to consider:

1. Iwan will be another year older, which no disrespect, is a fair while at his footballing age.

2. We''ll be in the Premiership. It''s a much faster game up their whith much better players.

3. Current and (if any summer) strikers at the club higher up the pecking order than Iwan.

All things considered I would like to see him given another year on his deal. He is our joint top scorer this year and has proven that when he''s hungry enough he can do a job for us. Even though the style and pace of play in the Premiership is very different, Iwan is big and tough and good in the air and will still cause defenders problems. Give him another year I say.

Yes most definately. I note what you say that it is faster and that there are better players. I always thought that the first division was more kick and rush and from what I have seen and heard the Premiership players seem to get more time on the ball. Take Saturdays game for a perfect example. The first half there was no space whatsoever in the Midfield and no time to put a foot on the ball and pass it. You then watch the Premiership and players seem to have that extra few seconds without other players diving in all the time. You also say that they are better players. Well, if we were promoted Nigel would have to add to our squad to even stand a small chance of staying up and one would hope they they would also be better players that would be playing around Iwan. I still believe that he is a tremendous bonus to our team and even if he plays a small percentage of games as a sub then that is better than nothing. Still top class at holding the ball up and is always in with a chance of scoring with the likes of Huckerby setting him up.

Only if he signs a 1 year extension and signs in the knowledge that he will be 4th or even 5th choice if we get a new face in.
The man is a legend no doubt but it''s not in anyone''s interest for him to end his career as a laughing stock in the mould of Akinbiyi when he was at Leicester. I would hate to see that.

He must reduce salary demands to be considered to a reasonable level. No place for sentiment ib business.

Certainly, he has carried this club for the past few years, and without him we would be playing in the 2nd division not (hopefully) the Prem. Even if he plays only five games he deserves it. It is also a way of signing him up as a coach at the end of the year

Maybe he could be given a new contract with a pay if he plays style structure, but also have a role to play on the coaching side he seems to have loads of respect from other players and people like Ryan Jarvis and Leon could learn a lot from him. I think if he wants to stay he is a good person to have at the club and has a role to play

I''m afraid because of his age, I believe city should only offer him a rolling monthly contract. Harsh I know but professional football is. Like the coaching idea though Franco.

Irrespective of whether we get promoted or not we should not be looking to sign Iwan for
another season as, Saturday apart, I do not think he has performed well enough over the last season and a half to warrant one. His strike rate is worse than Zemas on significantly higher wages - need I say more?

Yes his goals, committment and leadership have taken us to where we are now - however it is time for hime to be a true legend - ie exist in our hearts and minds only.

Iwan knows its a tough sport and it saddens me to say that it is time for him to move on. If he wants to stay as part of the coaching set up (we have an academy vacancy I recall..) then that would be fantastic - otherwise a fond farewell at a well deserved testimonial would be perfect.

OTBC

The only thing I think your argument falls down on is the strike rate argument - I think 6 goals from 9 starts this season is pretty good personally, Leon aside it''s as good as anyone else in the squad. I think a one year extension with a new coaching role is the best option - maybe on a pay as you play basis - that way he knows he''s not guaranteed first team football, but is there if we need him.

I think the Wiz''s idea of a rolling contract would be a good one. That way if he isn''t cutting it we can let him go to a club in the lower divisions. I don''t think we should dismiss the idea of keeping him outright as he can be a tricky striker against defenders.

sign crouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if not well keep roberts
i mean they both win stuff in the air
AND saturday i cant remember Robert fouling anyone for a change!

A great deal is being made of Iwan Roberts six goals in nine starts but in truth he has featured in most of the games this season. How often do we hear of a player coming off the bench and scoring one or two goals, is this not expected of Roberts ?
Look back to last season and David Nielsen scored six goals with piecemeal selection but no mention was made of his restricted appearances.

I agree with Peter, we can''t afford to sign him on his present deal as he is one of the highest paid at the club (pre Hucks). Maybe he could have a dual role as player/striker coach. He could certainly teach our strikers how to hold a ball up and poach a goal. Liverpool have Ian Rush as striker coach, so why don''t we have our own welsh legend as ours

I firmly believe that he should be given a one year deal and be regarded as a supersub for the last 30 mins, perhaps on slightly reduced wages (unless we get promoted when it will be less of an issue). I agree with one post above that there is no room for sympathy, but I would be gutted for the bloke if after 6 years or so with us trying his heart out that he didn''t get one final chance to play in the Prem.

But there''s one more reason. Except when Malky goes up for corners, there is no one that I would want more than big Iwan to be there in the box challenging for those headers. Remember Cardiff in ''02, a good cross by Notman but a superb guided header by the big fella into the bottom corner in a pressure cooker atmosphere in front of 72,000 passionate fans. That was no open goal.

One more year.

I like the idea of giving him a joint playing/coaching contract and use him sparingly and when needed on the pitch. I know there is no sentiment in football nowadays and someone like Ferguson would just get rid of him but I see Norwich as still being a friendly football club that has respect for it players, fans and other staff, this is how I have always seen the club and one of the reasons I love City so much.
Iwan has done a lot for City, he''s been our only notable striker in-between Bellers and Hux. For seasons he could be counted on for scoring us goals. He''s worked hard for City and I for one would feel sad if he left completely at the end of the season.

I don''t think he should have a new contract. Another year on he will be that much older and slower and up against premiership defenders. Thanks for all the work he has done in the past but time catches up with everyone in the end. You cannot justify a wage of hundreds of thousands a year for a player to come on as sub in the odd few matches. How much would his pay be calculated on a per minute played basis compared to someone who played 90 minutes virtually every game.

Some issues that might determine whether he is given another year are:

He achieves 100 goals and proves that he is still fit enough to play at the highest level.

His wage demands for another years contract, compared perhaps to the wages for Jarvis.

Whether Svensson can take on the role of target man.

Any additional signings the manager has in mind for next year.

I personally like the idea of him staying on at the club perhaps as a coach ( he would be an excellent asset for the academy), but with the club still retaining his registration to play. He has proved recently that if he is playing with good players who create chances, then he can put them away. Against Sheff Utd in the last game he was at his best showing how to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Teddy Sheringham is living prove that you can still perform at the highest level providing you are fit enough.

I have to say that I think you are right Mr Silver Fox...

I sit near you in the Barclay upper and think you would make a gorgeous toy boy....

I also saw your recent Pink un article.. and now have your picture on my wall...

Please get in touch..

No, do you guys not remember what happened the last time we played a premier league club? ok the ref was a bit dodgy but ultimately Iwan gave away 2 pens. he can''t cut it at premier league level and there is no room for sentiment in football