Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Elmander thoughts?

Honest opinions?He seems a bit hit and miss to me, but I like the way he knocks the ball down and frustrates defendersHe has had a few superb games and i don''t buy this "he''s useless stuff"Doesn''t seem to have the best shot on him though.

Getting way too much flack. Doing a physical job and taking a lot of punishment for the team.

It would be good to give Becchio a start, then at least we would be able to form a view as to who is better!

Our summer signings were all quality. Elmander''s problem could be that he won''t cement himself a position but has already shown he can do a job in whatever role he is asked to play. If Becchio was better than Elmander then Hughton wouldn''t have spent so much player budget getting him here and McNally wouldn''t have sanctioned it.

If he was a bit more aggressive like Grant Holt I think I''d be a fan. I used to love watching Holty wind up opposition defenders as much as he could get away with and winning free kicks in good positions.

I''d like to see some character from him, even though people claim he does the dirty work he''s also getting paid allot to do it. We''re missing a leader in the final third of the pitch and he has the experience of playing alongside greats such as Ibrahimovic and Drogba so he should know more than most people in the squad what it takes to be a leader upfront.

Becchio went to the papers about not being played and now he''s almost a fans favorite. When he got subbed on in the last two games he got the loudest cheer he''s ever had from the Norwich faithful and I''m sure he''d put in a good performance because he would be encouraged by the fans. Kamara came in and he looked like he was loving life, the fans saw his enthusiasm and it encouraged the fans who encouraged the team and himself.

I''d like to see Elmander show some character on the pitch because as fans we love that, and if he gets the crowd singing his name he''ll want to try even harder for them and the club.

He''s contributing more with each passing game. Don''t know whether it''s an injury or fitness thing or whether he is beginning to understand his role better. I think there is a lot more to come from him and other players, too.

iron_stan wrote the following post at 10/12/2013 3:27 AM:

"holt or morisson could have done the job better or equally as well, even if only for one more season"

Holt wanted to go.

Morison had to go.

What part of that don''t you numpties get?

He lacks pace, as was shown when he ambled after a through ball at the Hawthorns. He doesn''t seem to have a killer shot.

What he has is a willingness to chase and harry opponents, to mix it with opponents in crowded situations and to head down high balls. He is a regular target for Ruddy clearances, - we saw Ruddy on one occasion change his direction in kicking as Elmander moved from his marker.

Above all he has deft touches which efficiently give the ball to his colleagues.

Whether we should have the need for such a means of distribution is another matter, but when the defence is too deep Ruddy lacks any other real outlet.

Simply not good enough as his first touch isn''t the best, he lacks pace, no aggression and doesn''t score any goals. Baffled why he gets in the Swedish side regularly as he has not had one game for us where you think... He showed some real class there and that''s why he is in the team.

How anyone can keep saying he''s much better than Becchio is beyond me. Strikers should be judged on contribution but more importantly goals. Scoring no goals in 12 league games is not good enough and contributing very little.

Really hope we don''t sign him permanently.

Not all forwards are prolific goal scorers, but have a wider role in a team.  Emile Heskey was such a player.  Elmander similar role.   Holding up ball and bringing players into play - and able to pop up and score too.    Shines in a good team and even if a team is struggling, he is still an outlet.

He''s very average. Works hard in patches but is usually knackered after an hour.

This season''s Harry Kane really. Not the forward we wanted but we couldn''t get the players we had been after.

I don''t mind him when he''s playing with another striker but if he''s upfront on his own you basically know it''s going to be very, very hard to get anything from the game because he just doesn''t carry enough of a threat - though that''s obviously as much about the team the manager picks as it is about the player.

Hopefully when RVW gets back we''ll see much less of Elmander.

Frustrates me so much. He has all the attributes to be a very good target man. He''s big, Not quick but enough pace to keep defenders thinking, Good at heading and has a good touch. However he plays like he thinks hes a tricky number 10. He very rarely does the simple "Hold it up and lay it off", instead choosing to do fancy flicks. Despite being good at heading he never wins headers as he doesnt fully jump. He never plays with his back to goal and backs in to defenders to use his height and size as an advantage.With his ability he should be a more techinal Grant Holt however i feel he thinks he''s a hard working Berbatov and he quite simply isnt.

Why are people comparing him to Holt? Holt scored goals as well as doing what Elmander does (only better)

Elmander has had three shots on target since he has been here. Which, for a striker, is quite frankly pathetic.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

plays as 2nd striker to one of the best players in the world for his country...

ponder that thought for a minute.....

[/quote]

Are you saying we should sign Zlatan to make Johan look better?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

plays as 2nd striker to one of the best players in the world for his country...

ponder that thought for a minute.....

[/quote]

Are you saying we should sign Zlatan to make Johan look better?

[/quote]

nope. but what I am saying is that Elmander has played alongside some of the best players in the world. would he be doing that if he wasn''t up the required standard?

Let''s not forget he plays for Sweden. They need two strikers and he is Swedish. I can''t think of any others can you?

The argument about who he plays with is irrelevant. At Norwich he plays with Hooper so what has Zlatan got to do with anything?

Sweden have this guy called Toivonen........ Elmander is keeping him out, his name seems familiar I wonder if there are any threads about him lying around?

[quote user="The Exile"]Sweden have this guy called Toivonen........ Elmander is keeping him out, his name seems familiar I wonder if there are any threads about him lying around?
[/quote]

but... but.. but.. Elmander is supposed to be Rubbish and Toivonen good!!! what logic and tickery is this!?!

Bit wide of the mark there.

Think you''ll probably find that it''s fairer to say Zlatan keeps Toivonen out.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="The Exile"]Sweden have this guy called Toivonen........ Elmander is keeping him out, his name seems familiar I wonder if there are any threads about him lying around?[/quote]

but... but.. but.. Elmander is supposed to be Rubbish and Toivonen good!!! what logic and tickery is this!?!

[/quote]I''m so confused! so if Toivenan played for us, Elmander played for Ajax, then Elmander would become better than Toivenan? I see, so N''Zonzi is clearly better better than Johnson because he plays for someone else!