Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Who has been Hughtons greatest addition?

Mark Bunn? Tettey?Redmond?The Wolf?Hooper?Olsson?Fer?Garrido?Whittaker?Turner?Bassong?etc etcFer is probably a good shout as he, in my opinion, will become an absolute star with a bit more Prem experience... but Bunn was vital in keeping us up last season with Ruddy injured. Olsson and Garrido have both proved essential at LB while Snodgrass, Redmond, Hooper, Tettey etc have all / are proving themselves.Bassong and Turner have proven to be a vital CB partnership at times and think we can all agree Bassong has been brilliant for us since he joined..Guess we don''t know much about Wolfswinkel yet, (which is funny as such a massive hype was made about him by the club) but i''m sure he will soon settle back into the team and be banging them in.

Perhaps if you rephrased it as who has been the club''s best signing since Hughton has been the manager it might be a bit more accurate

We have yet to see the best of our strikers. Hooper is looking good, but RvW will have to play himself in again.

So it could be one of the strikers, but at the moment all the indications are that Fer will prove to be the one. He is already outstanding, and with experience an further maturity I think that he could be an enormous star.

I have my doubts that we shall be able to hold on to him. Pundits and experts are already singing his praise.

How about you stop being a pedantic melon farmer and answer the question.

Last season Bassong was Hughton''s best signing and played a very important part in strengthening the defence.

This season has been Fer from what I have seen so far. Followed by Redmond for pure excitement. Still raw but getting there.

Hooper. Some of the other good acquisitions (such as Olsson, Turner, Fer, Redmond etc) have been a better version of what we had. Which is fine. But Hooper has successfuly filled a gap in the squad that badly needed to be filled. Now we have what we didn''t have last season - a striker that scares defences.

All of them, without hesitation .... and not even with Elmander who''s signing puzzled me at first.

Lambast the Hoots for all you like but his transfer activities have been brilliant IMO.

The icing on the cake will be RVW finally coming good .... it will happen.

Well done Chris Hughton .. now be as positive on match days as you have been in the market.

Leroy Fer will ultimately be his best piece of business, snapped from under the nose of some top clubs he will lead this club to glory.

You can''t ignore Michael Turner either who other than one slip v. WBA last week has been outstanding this season...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]All of them, without hesitation .... and not even with Elmander who''s signing puzzled me at first.

Lambast the Hoots for all you like but his transfer activities have been brilliant IMO.

Well done Chris Hughton .. now be as positive on match days as you have been in the market.[/quote]At the risk of over exiting old mIsery guts HUGHTON DOES NOT SIGN THE PLAYERSThe players are targeting by the scouting network with regular reports put before the board.The manager has an input at the deciding stage, that is AFTER ''certain'' checks have been done.McNally is then mandated to negotiate the dealYou can squeak and stamp your little feet as much as you like, but that is how it is

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]All of them, without hesitation .... and not even with Elmander who''s signing puzzled me at first.

Well done Chris Hughton .. now be as positive on match days as you have been in the market.[/quote]At the risk of over exiting old mIsery guts HUGHTON DOES NOT SIGN THE PLAYERSThe players are targeting by the scouting network with regular reports put before the board.The manager has an input at the deciding stage, that is AFTER ''certain'' checks have been done.McNally is then mandated to negotiate the dealYou can squeak and stamp your little feet as much as you like, but that is how it is

[/quote]

You miserable old bast@rd :)

So Hughton doesn''t tell the scouting network what types of players he needs and what to keep their eyes open for?

Are you going to answer Reading''s question?

"You can squeak and stamp your little feet as much as you like, but that is how it is."

Eh?

I really think we are all aware of what you wrote, but at the end of the day the final decision subject to finances etc. will be the manager''s.

It is oft quoted on here that Gunn''s only good move as manager was signing Grant Holt.

And so on, and so on.

All supporters have always associated signings, good or bad, with the manager of the time evn though we realise that it is a complicated process.

I just fail to understand the point you make.

Does anyone else here think it would be a good idea to expand the capacity of carrow road?

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]All of them, without hesitation .... and not even with Elmander who''s signing puzzled me at first.

[/quote]
I think what you are describing is Hughton choosing which players to sign based on information from the scouting network. Which is probably similar to 90% of managers in English Football. 
The idea that Hughton scouts out 100s or 1,000s of players worldwide is of course fanciful. But to suggest he is just given ''input'' is playing down his role. It was mentioned how Hughton had been to watch the Belgian Reserve League to see a potential signing (while I think the league details were an elaboration) the fact he goes and looks at players isn''t a falsehood. If he only had an ''input'' he wouldn''t go off looking at players. Managers at other Premier League clubs who employ Directors of Football or the such like do not go off on scouting trips.
Also, it is clear that players such as Bassong and Redmond would have been signed on Hughton''s recommendations, and while the board may have asked for Chester''s 2nd opinion these are still ''Hughton''s signings''. Bringing in new players to Norwich City is a team effort, with the board, scouting network and the management team all having their roles - but until Norwich decide to go the Director of Football route Hughton will be the most influential in picking potential signings. Do you think McNally, a man with a longer history in marketing than football, is scouting players?
Personally it''s not a system I''m a huge fan of - managers are so transitory in the modern game they rarely plan more than 1 season ahead and will go for immediate fixes rather than long term planning. 

I think Hughton tried to get Wolfswinkel to Newcastle in 2010 if I remember rightlySo believe The Wolf has been on Hughton''s personal radar for quite some time.

Waveney: "Pound for pound the Messiahs signing were far the better value for money. Just another example of where things have gone backwards under hapless"

Then perhaps you should go follow this messiah at Aston Villa? You seem to dislike NCFC so much at the moment, I''d happily drive you there.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I think Hughton tried to get Wolfswinkel to Newcastle in 2010 if I remember rightlySo believe The Wolf has been on Hughton''s personal radar for quite some time.[/quote]

This is correct, he tried to sign him while at newcastle, so he must have a lot of confidence in him