Sign in to follow this  
Canary Brem

AShton/Shackell for England

Just heard that Rooney and Ferdinand are going to miss the USA tour, and Sven has indicated that this could pave the way for some younger players to be included.

I know who I would choose!!!!!

what about green?

i thought he had a good chance of getting in.

Ashton possibly as we lack a Shearer type centre forward at England level.

Shackell? No chance. he''s had a quarter of a season with the worst defence in the league and is behind Campbell, Terry, Carragher, King, Woodgate (if fit), Upson et al. Sven has twosheds loads of centre backs at the moment.

I think we might see Anton Ferdinand in the squad - he''s been good for the U21s and West Ham recently. Can''t see Shackell making it into the set-up for quite a few years, and even then he most likely would not be with us.

Hopefully, Deano is in with a massive shout given his performances especially given England''s lack of a strong target man since Shearer retired. I would have him in anyday  

I can see Crouch getting a call up ahead of Deano - scored a lot of goals and lead the line in a poor side. 

Cant see Shack getting a call up except for the next U21s if he is still young enough - the centre back competetion is very fierce.  Terry looks superb in the prem yet is probably my third choice for england after campbell ferdinand and Carragher; and I would probably have king before terry too...

OTBC 

Green is already in the squad and good news! Robinsons injured so he can''t play so Green will at least be on the bench. In the best case scenario, Sven picks Green ahead of James. After all, the tour doesn''t mean anything!

[quote]what about green? i thought he had a good chance of getting in.[/quote]

I would hope Greeno gets his first cap.  Robinson is not going to be fit and I can see no benefit in playing James.

Crouch will get called up ahead of Ashton and Andy Johnson will be ahead of him as well. 

There are so many good young English defenders at the moment and I think unfortunately for Shackell he is going to have to play a full season before he is even considered.

[quote]I can see Crouch getting a call up ahead of Deano - scored a lot of goals and lead the line in a poor side. Cant see Shack getting a call up except for the next U21s if he is still young enough - t...[/quote]

I think you might be right ZLF about Crouch.  However, it may depend if he moves in the summer.  I can see Deano getting an England call.  With no Rooney, I''d have said there was only Owen, Defoe and maybe Crouch ahead of him.  For me, Deano is better than Vassell, Heskey and Johnson

Ashton is a classic centre forward whereas Crouch is a lanky focal point. I can''t see England building a forward line around the beanpole because it really is just a one trick option  - and if it is ineffective then thats everyting nullified. Ashton on the other hand gives you several play options.

And he is more effective at tackling back than the thin one.

Ashton ahead of Crouch for me.

Crouch useful to throw on from the bench atr this level as a shock tactic.

but would we want Ashton going? no. Given the youngster a break!! He''s just moved home, played in the Premiership & undergone the tightest relegation battle in the top flight ever & been hailed as THE one to save us! He needs rest, he''s 21!!!

Also, do you really want him being watched by all? (especially if we go down!) He''s our quiet man, lets keep it that way for a while!

Also, Sven only likes players who can do the 100m in less than 10 seconds regardless of ability - see Darius Vassel. So I''m not sure whether Deano would be his cup of tea. I hope he is though, would love to see a city player in an England shirt.